ATT Worldnet Credit Card Scam

Heads up - for those on the NG using ATT Worldnet as an ISP. This scam just came across:

"Recently we attempted to authorize payment from your credit card we have on file for you, but it was declined.

For security purposes, our system automatically removes credit card information from an account when there is a problem or the card expires.

Please resubmit the credit card, and provide us with new and complete information. To resubmit credit card information via our secure server, click the following link:

?p=addcreditcard This is the quickest and easiest method of getting credit card information to us. Using the secure server will ensure that the credit card will be placed on account within 24 hours."

© 2003 AT&T. All rights reserved.

Pretty clever. You have been warned.

Regards,

Marv

Reply to
Marv Soloff

Marv Soloff wrote: Heads up - for those on the NG using ATT Worldnet as an ISP ^^^^^^^^^^^ I got a warning directly from ATT about this scam. Never let your guard down.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

That looked like a legit link. Would someone explain the scam part? thanks

Reply to
Toolbert

So did I - today - some 18 hours after the scam message.

Regards,

Marv

Leo Lichtman wrote:

Reply to
Marv Soloff

It looks like a re-direct to some other server then a release to ATT once the credit card info is deposited. Here is the real ATT message:

"Dear AT&T Worldnet Service Member,

You may have received a fraudulent email with the Subject line of "Billing Update Requested (URGENT) " from a sender's address that is either snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net or snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net. This counterfeit email requests that you resubmit your credit card information for billing purposes.

This email is not from AT&T Worldnet Service. Please do not respond to it - instead disregard and delete it.

If you have already provided your credit card information in response to the fraudulent email, we recommend you notify your credit card issuer immediately.

If at any time you receive an email requesting billing information, please be aware that it is likely to be a scam. Authentic billing notifications sent by AT&T Worldnet Service will always direct you to visit the AT&T Worldnet Member Services secure site, where you will login with your userid and password to update your billing information.) Please forward any suspicious email to AT&T Special Investigations at snipped-for-privacy@abuse-att.net."

For more information on how to protect yourself against identity theft, please visit the US Federal Trade Commission's Identity Theft web site, at

Sincerely,

AT&T Worldnet Service"

Guard thy wicket!

Regards,

Marv

Toolbert wrote:

Reply to
Marv Soloff

It's not clever at all. It's as transparent as those Nigerian (lately So= ut African) letter scams, the eBay and PayPal scams. Or the virus in email = scams.

Only a fool will fall for these.

Abrasha

Abrasha

Ask for a show of hands in this NG as to how many people fell for this scam.

Regards,

Marv

Abrasha wrote:

SNIP