Credit card receipts

Anyone bought from hattons recently able to confirm they now send partial numbered receipts by post? or that they are still sending fully numbered?

TIA Niel.

Reply to
Badger

"Badger" wrote

We've recently switched to partial numbered receipts even if Hatton's haven't.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I was a bit shocked when after subsrcibeing to Railway Modeller via online a few months ago I recieved my first copy in the mail with a receipt with my full credit-card info on it. Thats never happened to me before for any online purchase from anybody on this side of the pond(N. America).

Reply to
Gene

I ordered a Corgi bus from them (from Canada) in September, and included a special request not to send a numbered receipt in the package. What they do for overseas orders is charge the full amount including VAT, then make a separate adjustment for Air Mail postage minus VAT. The information slip for this adjustment (£1.86) was tucked just inside the wrapping, and showed my full credit card number and expiry date.

Reply to
MartinS

Yes. I can confirm that they are blanking out all but the last four digits on recepits. I received an order about a week ago, which had this done both on the invoice and the credit card slip enclosed.

Reply to
Jon

Somehow it strikes me that this would fall outside the letter and spirit of the security provisions of their credit card merchant agreement. Perhaps a word to Visa or MC would earn Hatton's a sharp whack with a clue-stick.

Reply to
Dave Curtis

"Dave Curtis" wrote

There's nothing in my credit card agreement to say that part of the number should be eliminated from the receipt and the fact that we were able to do this was because we asked the bank for processing equipment which would.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I'm probably missing the point here, can somebody please explain the paranoia? Don't you leave your number (and name and signature!) behind every time you visit a restaurant? What's so different about online ordering?

Reply to
Ed Callaghan

"Ed Callaghan" wrote

If the full card number is quoted on a card receipt and the parcel *goes astray* then the finder not only has your good but your credit card details too.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

As happened to me with hattons in the past....

John I'll phone, we want those blue items.

Niel.

Reply to
Badger

Then I stand corrected. As with everthing else, the security standards are evolving, I guess.

Reply to
Dave Curtis

Most companies still work on the old PDQ machines that will print the full number on. As technologies evolve, this isn't too much of an issue as more and more companies are asking for the CV2 number on the back of the card, which isn't printed on the receipt. (as an aside, our kitchen appliance company has all card details processed online through a secure gateway by the staff, and the customer's receipt only shows the final four numbers, and not even the expiry!)

Barry.

Barry Wellington-Bovis

Most credit card receipts in Canada/USA show only the last 4 numbers, unless it's from one of the old manual imprinters that you might find, say, at a train show. We used to be advised to destroy the carbon, but I think they are all NCR these days. Some debit terminals print the full card number, but that's no use to anyone here without the PIN.

Many on-line ordering companies in Canada now subscribe to a "verifed by Visa" system, where an additional password that is not on the card is required, rather than using the CV2 number.

We have a TV ad (for Fellowes shredders) advising you to shred all your credit/debit card receipts and bills with personal information before throwing them out, which I do as an extra security measure.

Reply to
MartinS

Niel wrote:-

Yes, only the last four digits are shown on the receipt.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Nice to know - that wasn't the case 2 months ago.

Reply to
MartinS

Martin S wrote:-

It was definitely the case this morning :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim