DCC

I am contemplating getting a DCC system. What happens when you switch from controlling one train to the next? I understand that the previous
train continues at the existing speed, but what about the newly selected train; the control will still be in the position used for the previous train.
Thanks Mark Thornton

Each loco remembers and obeys the last command given. Hope this helps, Steve
On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 21:25:12 GMT, Mark Thornton

Depends on the system, some, eg Digitrax have knobs that only indicate change, so when you change locos the knob is automatically in the correct place. Others have up and down pushbuttons that give the same effect. Some with more traditional knobs will not take over control till you turn the knob to the correct position for the new loco. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit <http://www.grovenor.dsl.pipex.com/ Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.
On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 21:25:12 GMT, Mark Thornton

Up to a point. The secret is to select channel 0, move the dial down to 0, then select the new loco. Or buy more controllers :-)
Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
Similar vein question.
if you buy 2 dcc controllers can you have two people playing trains at the same time? presumably yes - but then what happens if they both address the same train?
-- Ken Wilson Hampshire, UK
"Ken Wilson" wrote

the
the
I don't think it's possible.
John.

PHIL: Beware what is being called a 'controller' here: There is ONE Command Station / Master Controller for the whole SYSTEM - and it can of course control many trains - but only adjust one at a time. However, additional 'handsets' or slave controllers can be added, and they talk to the master/commmand station, which adds their commands to the track.
Therefore, if a 2nd 'user' tries to take control of a loco 'currently being controlled' on another controller, there is a problem.....
This can be resolved in several ways, but most usually: If the SPEED of the requested loco is ZERO, then its control is transferred to the new controller, BUT if it is MOVING, then the request may/will be rejected, and the 'new user', won't be... they'll feel rejected 8-)
Hoewever, if, like we have in the garden, with the LGB and RADIO-Linked handsets, the 'feedback' to the controller/handset is lost, and in this case it can be possible to send alternating conflicting commands, which soon becomes apparent to the loco and anyone watching. This DOES NOT happen when the handsets are connected by cable, because then communication is two-way (between handsets), and the error is reported.
--
Phil Spiegelhalter: snipped-for-privacy@fillin.co.uk
==== Technical Training for Broadcasters =====

Oh. thanks.
now i have lost the plot on this stuff then. i thought DCC just sent a command around the system addressed to Joe which said "Hello, Joe. Increase speed to warp factor 7."
all the stuff connected up (including the stationery stuff) ignores it unless it has been christened "Joe " - and then it will respond, increase speed as instructed and leave it there whilst the DCC controller talks to someone else - or remains silent. So why can't controller A send a message to Joe and then controller B talks to Bill? Iis it because the message might get scrambled if they were both sent at about the same time? ie A sends an instruction but after the "hello, Joe" bit, B sends "Hello, Bill -...." and then the "increase speed to WF7" instruction would get read by Bill and not Joe.
The reason for asking is that currently i have one of those HM twin controllers which allows one son to twiddle one knob and his friend to twiddle another - taking turns is not as absorbing....... So the new cheapo bachmann offering is not suitable for me?
ken
"Ken Wilson" wrote
absorbing....... So the new cheapo

It only has one knob.
John.
Ken Wilson wrote:

I think the terminology is confusing the issue. As I understand it you can get a DCC system with multiple throttles. Each boy can have his own and control a train with it. If you have 4 trains then they can each control 2 trains (although they can only change the speed of one train at a time). Systems allow quite a few 'throttles' --- it varies with the make.
Mark Thornton
Ken Wilson wrote:

You're close enough to the plot! "Joe" and "Bill" are of course "01" and "99" or in the most recent upgrade "001" and "999". If you want to drive two locos at the same moment then you're going to need two knobs, ten locos - ten knobs ... The signal length to "Joe" and "Bill" is so short that you won't notice the delay. (On big club layouts the delay can become noticable) The problem you don't yet know about is that there are usually limitations to each system because they have not implimented the entire DCC possibilities. The limitations might be the number of controllers, number of speed steps (0-14. 0-28, 0-127 etc) the number of acceleration/deacceleration steps, number of functions accessible ... Basically you have to know _everything_ before you buy or gamble that it does everything you will ever want from it, or be prepared to onsell and buy a better one later. When you buy that loco with lights and steam sound and whistle and coal shovelling and Westinghouse pump and ... and find your CU only allows you to turn the lights on and off you're going to be irritated! The you get problems like sound units that only allow steam sound _or_ whistle _or_ ... when the other brand allows 47 different sounds simultaniously for another pound on the price.
Regards, Greg.P.
Ken Wilson wrote:

I am considering getting the Roco Loco Mouse 2 with an extra throttle. There will then be two identical throttles --- important as I have two children (saves a lot of aggravation as any parent with more than one child will know).
While you can extra throttle to the Lenz Compact system, it won't be identical to the first unit. The more expensive Lenz systems would allow identical throttles, but at much greater cost. The other alternative is the American EasyDCC system which apparently has two controls on the main unit.
Mark Thornton
Mark Thornton wrote:

My old MRC unit has _three_ controllers on the one panel and sockets for two hand-helds.
"Mark Thornton"

erk - i have two kids but the youngest is only 1 . so i have to worry in a few years time?
but don't they need identical tracks and engines as well?
even with eldest and his friends, annie and clarabel get split up behind behind percy and thomas - and they get a troublesome truck each.
thanks the roco - hadn't heard of that one.

Ken Wilson wrote:

May be not as the age gap is probably rather larger than we have.

Well you can hope that they will have different favourite engines. However the power/speed need to be balanced.

We have Percy, Thomas, and now (as of today) Gordon. I wonder if any one here will admit to having converted any of these for DCC? Incidentally Gordon runs a lot better than the other two (as he should for the price).
Mark Thornton
<<snip>>

I've done the Tomix N scale Thomas... Makes a big hit on the club layout at shows!
--

Joe Ellis

Mark Thornton wrote:-

It would not surprise me if Hornby announce a DCC starter set with both Percy and Thomas included in order to counter Bachmann's freelance twin-loco set.
(kim)

There was a Thomas done in Model Rail sometime in the last 12 months or so.
Michael Walker wrote:-

It was April 2002, the Class 33 Masterclass Issue. The article was intended as a guide for converting all models which use the generic 0-6-0 chassis and includes full instructions for programming and perfomance tables. I still have a copy in mint condition if anyone is interested but the postage will be considerable.
(kim)
"Mark Thornton" wrote

There's always the bunker. I know at least one of my customers fitted an LE0511 there on a Hornby Terrier.
John.