Rails of Sheffield - experiences?

What are they like at fulfilling orders?

I seem to have paid for second class service as well as second class post.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Hi, I don't like them. Their staff are incredibly surly when you go into the shop.

I tend to shop at Hattons now, even though they're not a lot better.

Many shop keepers tend to sneer and look down on you when you go in, although Kernow in Cambourne seem to be quite civil when you go in there.

Pete at Inter-City models on the other hand is a completely different animal. He has lots of time to talk to me when I go in his Shop when i'm in holiday down there and am happy to part with my cash when i'm down there. It's a veritable alladins cave. My son, who's 8 think he's great,a nd I shall look forward to visiting his stall at Warley.

These are my opinions, nut plugs. Just personal experience (before someone gets on their high horse).

Sincerely,

Rob.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Robert Wilson

I'd agree with your comments after visiting all three. Our local shop is very friendly as well and sells at mail order prices see

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Only ordered from Rails a couple of times buut no problems and quick delivery. Hattons - will never ever ever ever ever go near them again. Liked Trev signal box in rochester but now its got different owners so dont know about them.

Now Mr Turner - theres a gent. Send mail at midnight ask if item in stock. Get reply sometime before mid morning. Send mail to go ahead at midday. Its in the post that afternoon and on my doorstep next morning. So when want mail order its John that I recommend.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Ola Trygve Kvitle

Reply to
Ola Trygve Kvitle

Bloody hell, that's a lot of auctions. Can't be arsed to look at the negs though.

Rob.

Reply to
Robert Wilson

Click just the 'negative' figure, which is '6' at this time for 1 month ago and read JUST the negatives..

Personally I've never had ANY problem with RAILS- I guess delays could depend on 'how' the payment was made..If I were paid by cheque, I would wait until it cleared.. Rails use a 24hour delivery agent inmy experience, and considering that 'well packed' really means 'well packed' , 2 to 3 days from payment is not unreasonable. There again I've never had a problem with Hattons, or any other for that matter...

Reply to
traction

That could explain the attitude when I comp[lained about their website a while ago. I can't recall the issue but they didn't seem interesetd in fixing it in a hurry.

They can be slow, but at least they send progress e-mails.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

"simon" wrote in news:d snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

I must say I've had the opposite experience! You never know if Rails has stuff in stock (and even if you order items that their website claims are in stock) and I've had the same item sent and charged more than once. Plus it takes forever to get to my house from Sheffield (in Melbourne, Australia). And before anyone suggests just sending it back, at the time I wasn't too concerned about getting the item and it's a right pain and expensive to send something back to the UK from here! Still, I'd never shop with them again, it's just too random what you will and won't get.

On the other hand I've only had 2 "problems" with Hattons, once when a wagon wasn't in stock after I'd oredered it from the website saying they had them, and when I got 2 class 110 DMUs when Hornby rereleased the green ones after asking if I'd get one 'A' and one 'B' and was assured I would, but received 2 'A's (as I now understand that the B would be produced after the A had sold out or such like, so should have ordered 1 'A'then waited for the second release). Overall, I've ordered a lot of stuff from them in the past and apart from the early days have received the majority in a week from order, with the rest within 2 weeks. No complaints here!

I'd like to try somewhere else, but the price differential is usually such that I don't feel like taking the risk of a new supplier for no reason so cannot comment on anyone else. It seems that in most of the cases usually quoted that a particular retailer charges "mail order" prices that it is to regular customers or you need to ask specially as their website has different prices. Why bother?

My only caveat on that is that a local model shop (to me anyway!) opened on the other side of the city that apparently charges "Hattons" prices in Australian dollars so I'll have to get there one day to see.

Reply to
Melbournian

On 30/10/2008 23:27, simon said,

Odd - I've never had anything but excellent service from Hattons, over a fair few orders. How many orders was your bad experience based on? I would suggest that if it was just one, that you give them another go. The only time I've had a delay on an item showing as being in stock turned out to be when Keith Hatton died.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

3 out of 5 so given them a fair chance.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Not used Rail .... yet ! I've used Model Trains 4 U based in York UK

They started of with a relatively small selection but it is now starting to grow. I have found them VERY good.

Based on my experience with PC parts etc. EVERYONE has had what they consider a bad experience with a supplier or another. Even the big names get it wrong sometimes.

I used one company from the south of England for digital camera cards for some years ....

Good prices Good packaging 'Free' p & p Excellent delivery

Then they move to the Channel Islands ...

Complaints on the web forums about them taking money and not delivering Wrong goods sent Poor customer service, unable to contact, ignored e-mails

You can take them to the Channel Islands equivalent of the small claims court but you have to attend !

They still claim over 90,000 satisfied customers .....

My advise is to ring the company and ask for the owner or manager to air your complaints.

If, like many companies, they refuse to let you speak to the owner or manager then ask for their name and write to them.

If still no joy write again and say your are, based upon the nature of your problem with them, going to take it to the small claims court and / or put your complaint onto the review forums like

and the model rail forums.

If they can't or wont give you a good explanation for the poor service simply don't use them again.

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

I order from Hatton's frequently, and I usually receive my order in Canada within a week. The odd time, I've used another dealer for something that Hatton's didn't have (even from Oxford Diecast direct), and I've always ended up paying more because they don't deduct VAT or they charge more for postage, and/or waited longer for shipment and delivery. I always specify surface postage, although everything under about 2kg goes by air anyway. On my latest order @ £15 for 4 small cars they only charged £1.65 postage, which is less than they charge within the UK, plus I saved £2.18 in VAT.

Canada Post is supposed to collect Canadian sales taxes plus a $5 fee, but they rarely ever bother unless it's a large shipment.

Reply to
MartinS

Hatton's used to send out an email at each stage of the process, with the sender's name and a link to their profile. They seem to have dropped that now, but service is still good. The only time I've experienced a delay (about 10 days) was when I placed an order right at the end of December.

Anyone remember Richard Davies, their Development Manager and chief IT guy, who came on this newsgroup several years ago looking for feedback when he was first hired to upgrade their website?

You can still access staff profiles, although Keith Hatton's hasn't been updated recently...

MartinS

Begin to get the impression that some people think because theyve not had problems then it must be me moaning - but its a small sample of replies. am very slow to complain and if its a simple mistake or honest error then am not bothered. Didnt even include the one where am sure ordered Holyhead and got EC Trench. Didnt mind so never said anything.

Have placed quite a few internet or mail orders from variety of retailers. Once or twice had to chase them but its always been pleasant exchange of mails or phone conversation. Once waited over 3 weeks for an item that was supposed to arrive in less than a week and when phoned he just apologised and said had missed it. No problem I said, just wondering. It arriived a couple of days later.

Dont require perfect boxes - Signal box said they only had one item I wanted in stock and one corner of the box was bit bent but loco ok. Fine I said send it anyway - didnt expect or ask for 10p discount.

However if something arrives in badly torn box with no torn bits present then you know it was sent like that. No problem cos not collector. Then something arrives that may well have been known to be a dodgy item before sent - of course cant be proved but you wonder. Couple of months later a freind gets one in similar condition and the shop begrudging replace it - but yours is out of warranty. Then you see on a forum that someone else had same situation. So you contact the retailer by email. Get response saying theyve never done that. You reply and get response from someone else who does admit that this type of mistake has been made occasionally. Then you go back and check other models received and find other minor defects. Smile cos theyre not major ones and can fix. Anyway they said it was out of warranty - but didnt say if its a manufacturing defect then it isnt. But wha5t the heck. Had enough by now.

So got my own back, have bought over 10 LMS pacifics, some 2nd hand but most new and some at full price to support local toy shop. Not a penny has gone to that retailer.

My final comment would be when I buy from a retailer I trust then when the article arrives I can open the box and gaze in wonder at the contents. If theyre a new one (for me) then take out of box, examine every bit thoroughly then test. Finally gaze .....

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I've used Hattons a few times and have no real complaints although their delivery times can be erratic. I've only had one problem an N gauge loco bought brand new was faulty but they replaced it without any hassle. I used Rails of Sheffield once to buy a couple of N gauge locos which were on special offer and had no problems with the order.

The dealer I use the most is Kernow Model Rail Centre

and their service is very good. They also send out a weekly e-mail newsletter and have regular special offers on rolling stock and commission limited editions.

Reply to
Kevin Lee

I was in Camborne last April for the Trevithick Day celebrations!

Reply to
MartinS

On 31 Oct, 09:44, "traction" wrote: ..

Same here...I've used both as my main suppliers for many years. Next time I have a 'problem' with either, will be the first time... Cheers Robt P.

Reply to
Robt P

Tis becoming patently obvious that I'm receiving things incorrectly from Hattons. Just from them of course. Will review my procedures and have a talk with management.

Must I forgo the '100% feedback next day service' I get from John and give '20% (3 duds out of 5) feedback sometime later in the week or next week service' from Hattons another chance. Its a difficult one that.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

That's a shame. I don't mind things progressing slower than I'd like if I'm kept informed. Also, if I've had good service in the past thenI'm much more willing to accept the occasional glitch.

Rails didn't despatch the order for a whole week. I'm beginning to wonder what their "next day" service actually means. Next day after order (impossible since they do not obviously state a cut-off time for placing the order, or next day after they decide to post it.

I'll try Kernow next time.

Andrew

Reply to
manatbandq