[Way OT] New Visa credit card scam

This time it's the credit card company itself.

My credit card company phoned me to report that my card had been compromised. They canceled my account and set me up with a new account. Then they charged me $10.00.

Funny, I don't remember paying $10.00 to get the first card...

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

What information did they ask you for? I sure hope you haven't been scammed.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

That money thing bothered me. If a CC company lost faith in their cards, sending out new ones automatically would be what I expect.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

You just got gamed!

Reply to
Buerste

That is what I would expect. 'Cost of business' sort of thing. I sent them an email asking for some justification. They responded by saying that *I* had claimed the card had been 'lost or stolen'. WTF? Can you say 'Blame the victim'?

They verified that I was the guy they wanted to talk to. They provided me correct 'dollar amount' info about charges placed on given days. I was reasonably certain they were who they claimed to be. The fact that the replacement card arrived a couple days later indicates they were the genuine article.

We both know that I was. Thing is, they can milk me endlessly this way just by claiming the card was compromised, again and again. It's what I get for paying my bill in full, on time. :(

sending out new

As would I.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Yup. 'And so can you!' :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Yeah, me too. No charge, but my CC number is on file a few places & changing them all was a minor pain. Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

They usually buy you a year's subscription to an identity protection alert service.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

Who was the bank? Some are honest, some are not.

I suggest folks avoid Chase and Capital 1.

Reply to
Tim

These guys:

They provide credit card service for credit unions.

They've actually been very good up until now. I guess the meltdown caught them by surprise.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I've found that most credit card companies will negotiate stuff like that. I'd call them, thank them for closing the compromised account and tell them I'd rather they close the new account than pay them $10 to retain it.

I've done that a few times (3 or 4) on late fees that really were legit but I still didn't wanna pay them. They said "oh, OK" and removed the fees.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Facing facts, they need you a lot more than you need them!

Reply to
cavelamb

I'm one of those too. In the trade we are called 'Deadbeats'.

My 6.8 interest rate was recently raised to 14.8 . Not much of a chance I'll ever leave a balance past 25 days now.

Of course if you cancel your card, your credit history for it is closed reducing your fico score. One more financial game that is rigged.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

ever leave a

reducing your fico

You better check your credit report fairly often. It can be done for free three times a year by using one of the three bureaus at a time.

With all the fraud going around it's almost a given that there will be something not right on your report.

And it's a bitch to get it straightened out!

Verizon had me down for a $1200+ charge off. I called a dozen times, talking to different faceless morons each time, before they finally figured out it wasn't mine. They said they would correct it with the reporting bureaus, but that can take six weeks or more.

In the mean time, I'm sitting here wondering why I'm playing a rigged game!?!

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb

Maybe was not the cc company. My CC company just sent me a card with new numbers. Because a merchants data base was compremised. No extra charges.

Reply to
Calif Bill

(...)

Food for thought. Thanks, Don.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

Yeah, but it's amazing how many vendors don't grok that.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

reducing your fico

But, I thought my credit score would *increase* with fewer opportunities to indebt myself.

Oh well!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Not all credit card companies hate people like you and I. After all, then get about 2% of everything you buy, by changing the vendor for merchant fees.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

Woopee.. 2%

Richard Another dead beat heard from