[Way OT] New Visa credit card scam

That'll be our little secret, sistah.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Reserving a hotel room and renting a rental car?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

You may be right about the car rental, but my experience with Holiday Inn last month shows they will reserve rooms for me without a card.

The first time we came up here, I just told them, no, I don't give my credit card numbers out on the phone.

The next time I was already in the system, and they didn't even ask.

For a completely cash deal you have to pay up front. But that's no big deal. I routinely carry between 1 and 2 k in cash anyway.

So what's in YOUR pocket, guys?

Reply to
cavelamb

Get stopped by the cops. Get accused of being a drug dealer (normal people don't need that much cash) See you cash disappear

Howard Garner

Reply to
Howard R Garner

Credit rating is a lot like "Monday morning quarterbacking".

In another vein, If you need credit you probably shouldn't have it. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

before the

the end of a

I don't see how you came up with that. I have been paying the entire balance every month when the statement comes and haven't seen a cent of interest charged. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Mainly to avoid carrying a bunch of cash making a target for a holdup. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 02:13:40 -0400, the infamous Wes scrawled the following:

Buying anything online.

-- You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you _can_ do something about its width and depth. -- Evan Esar

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 06:38:18 -0600, the infamous Lew Hartswick scrawled the following:

If I had $26k in my pocket, I'd have been accused of being a drug dealer and _still_ couldn't have bought the truck. Waaah! ;)

-- You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you _can_ do something about its width and depth. -- Evan Esar

Reply to
Larry Jaques

My billing cutoff date is around the 6th of the month.

If I made a payment on the first, and charged something on the second, it could accrue interest...

Reply to
cavelamb

Most would not. If you payment was the previous amount due in full and by the due date, anything charged on the next months statement would not carry interest.

If you are not apying in full every time, then you would see interest payments.

Howard Garner

Reply to
Howard R Garner

But if your cutoff date is the 6th, your payment do date should be about three weeks later. You should be able to get nearly 40 days on items charged on the 7th, and still have a week or so for the check to be received and posted. But granted, items purchased on the 5th have to be paid in a week or two.

Reply to
Tim

or lose a wallet.

Reply to
Tim

Not likely...

Reply to
cavelamb

One of the things that is used to calculate your score is the proven ability to repay a debt.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

I read the cardholder agreement.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

If I was carrying 2 large, it wouldn't be in the pocket, it would be on my hip and we ain't talking about the wallet.

Wes

Wes

Yep, that too.

But I'd bet a Jefferson that you'd never pick me out in a crowd. Much less think I was holding anything. I just don't dress or act that way. remember? Presentation is 90% of the game.

Reply to
cavelamb

On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 10:48:14 -0700, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

My bank called last month with the same info, but they got the new card to me within 5 days for no fee at all, as it should be.

-- You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you _can_ do something about its width and depth. -- Evan Esar

Reply to
Larry Jaques

(...)

Indeed. So today, I received a letter from the aforementioned InfiBank, indicating that my APR is changing from a fixed 12% to Prime + 8%, an increase of 0.24 percentage point. What do I care? I've never paid interest on that account.

I remember a similar thing happening to my Sears (blush) card several years ago. In both cases, the vendor stated that I can opt out of the change by disagreeing with it in writing. What an opportunity! I'd wanted to lose the Sears card for months. I objected to the changed terms and they closed the account for me.

Bliss! :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston