More fun with eBay

I have been dealing with eBay for several years now.I have a perfect feedback rating and a plus balance in my account. All of a sudden I get an e-mail fram that fat little Fred Astaire wannabe that I am restricted from using eBay for some unknown reason ( my password doesn't have enough letters?). When I tried to send information back by pressing "send" I got a message that "that that website is not responding". Lotsa luck dealing with eBay!

Reply to
Aredeer

You have been scammed. I have been receiving these fake emails for a couple of months now and if you follow the link - it takes you to a fake ebay site. If you have entered any personal information - you have now sent this information to a scammer who may use it to access your account.

There is also another version of this fake email going around for paypal.

Reply to
Terry Link

The email you got probably was not from eBay but was instead a "spoof" email intended to get your account information. I got the same email yesterday and forwarded it to eBay. Remember that eBay never sends emails asking about your account information. The thing that tipped me off is that eBay always addresses email to me using my account name as opposed to my actual name. The email was also grammatically incorrect in a couple of places. You may want to forward your email to eBay if you still have it and change your password as soon as possible.

Reply to
Claude H. Allen

Reply to
Dale Kramer

Are you 100% sure that the email came from ebay? It sounds more like internet fraud...trying to get your ebay password.

Fred Astaire?

Reply to
Ccutler0

Guys, the problem is that , as a test, I tried to access my feedback on the eBay website and was denied access!!!

Reply to
Aredeer

You have been hijacked already...the same happened to me because I answered one of those spam ( not from Ebay) e-mails. I did that and given out details because I thought it was from Ebay. My commercial site was hijacked and it took Ebay 3days to restore it for me......NEVER again I will answer any Ebay or Paypal e-mails Hope it comes OK for you Peter

Reply to
Peter

For anybody that gets such emails, the proper way is to go access the eBay site the normal way (go to their site outside of the email addresses!) and check the info out. If it is just as it should be (and it will!), send the Safeharbor people there at eBay the whole email, especially the header info (you can use Properties on the email post and get the whole message that way) and they will send you back a little thankyou note. FWIW, I get one of those emails about every month and they always end up at the eBay protection people.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works evevery time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

Like Microsoft, eBay never does stuff like that. Microsoft never ships out emails to anybody about updates either which is another way the stupid get nailed with viruses on their computers. EBay never tells you that you have a problem with your site and gives an address to go to in order to fix the problem. You ALWAYS have to navigate to the correct place from your own accessing of the website. The only thing you get from starting with an address provided by an email is trouble - doesn't matter what the subject is, the address is going to be bogus.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works evevery time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

Not any more!

If you receive an email that asks you to submit personal information (credit card number or eBay password) do not respond to it or click the links. Immediately send a copy of it to snipped-for-privacy@ebay.com.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Ebay's instructions for dealing with this sort of attack are to forward the email to snipped-for-privacy@ebay.com so that they can deal with it. The sooner they hear about it the less people affected.

Hope everything comes out OK for you. Greg

Reply to
Greg Forestieri

That's not from ebay. That's a scam to try and get your eBay password for fraudulent reasons.

Either just ignore it, or forward it to eBay. (I don't recall the addy at the moment, but they tell you what to do at the REAL eBay site)

Don

Reply to
Trainman

Got the following wehen I tried to access eBay Suspension Notice

steamer2 is Suspended from eBay

You have been suspended from eBay because our records indicate your account was involved in activities that violate our policies.

If you feel you have been suspended in error or want to appeal this decision by providing additional information, please contact us.

An email regarding this was sent to you at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com. Seems pretty real to me. I don't have the slightest idea what activities they are talking about. I havent even used eBay since March, and never responded to a previous e-mailing I got. I have twice tried to contact them ( through their "help" and have gotten no response

Reply to
Aredeer

One little thing of note - eBay will refuse an incorrect password while a spoofing site won't. Thus, if you are unsure, use an incorrect password and see if you get a bad password note. I usually do my password wrong on purpose and the refusal of the password is my indication that I'm at the right spot.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works evevery time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

A clever spoofing site will play the "man in the middle" game. Passing your input onto EBay (or what ever they are spoofing) giving you the responses and recording your transactions.

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Sounds like your account was already hacked and someone else used it to do something "naughty".

Don

Reply to
Trainman

What's this comment about?

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Tried accessing ebay everything comes up "Page not found" Ever since "Powered by IBM" has been displayed alot of strange things have been happening. If I am in search every now an then an http address is added to the search word. Must be a full moon in ebayville

UNCLE YESTERDAY WAS TODAY IS TOMORROW WILL BE

Reply to
Richard P. Kubeck

A message on eBay site indicates that they lost all power. At this time (05:20CDT) they seem mostly up again.

Reply to
Charles Seyferlich

Don, Guess so, but I don't know how.. never responded to the e-mails I got before. Finally got an e-mail from eBay in response to stuff I sent to the "help"department.I sent them some information ( carefully edited) proving that I am who I say I am. Hopefully this will clear things up...hopefully!

Reply to
Aredeer