Ebay warning: teamjoedawn excessive 'handling' charges

Stay away from seller named "teamjoedawn" from Springfield Va (ebay lists them as Montgomery-Springfield VA) But with only 18 feedback and a dropping feedback rate, by the time this hits they'll have a new name and be doing it again.

I picked up an Italeri AC130 for less than $20 but paid $13.23 for shipping. For that I got the kit wrapped in a layer or two of recycled paper and an outer layer of brown paper and mailed standard mail (postal fee $5.55) making the 'handling ' fee $7.68. Since then there are several neutral and negative feedbacks posted.

I paid via paypal over a month ago and got the kit today 11-13 in ok shape. According to the postal stamp the kit was only mailed on the 8th of Nov, weeks AFTER I paid via paypal. Auction ended Oct-19-03 10:41:06 PDT Heads up people.

Their email is snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

go get em spam-bots... Mike please remove "diespam" to reply

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, perhaps you've misunderstood the situation.

Reply to
MLDHOC

I checked out a couple of the auctions offered by teamjoedawn.

What you are NOT including in your post is that each of their auctions had a "shipping calculator" included. I checked out the calculator for an item I was interested in - found out that they were including charges way above what the standard U.S. Post Office charge was. So I moved on.

I don't think it is right to complain after the fact that their "shipping" cost was a lot more than they actually paid to ship the item. You had the same option to use the "shipping calculator" on their item description as everyone else.

Jim M

Reply to
Jim Matthiessen

Jim I don't disagree with your caveat emptor, I did see the charges as I paid, but since the shipping calculator does not identify handling changes it is impossible to tell what is shipping and what is handling. For my $7.68 I expected a bit more than a brown paper wrapper.

At this point I am not so much mad abd complaining that I got taken, as I am offering a heads-up to the community at large.

Mike please remove "diespam" to reply

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, perhaps you've misunderstood the situation.

Reply to
MLDHOC

You should see how some of these guys treat computer parts. Wrapping motherboards in newspaper is not recommended. I'd hate to describe what my son says when he gets some needed part badly packaged in some similar manner.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Rob, Is your experience with the same folks, teamjoedawn , or a different seller?

Mike please remove "diespam" to reply

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, perhaps you've misunderstood the situation.

Reply to
MLDHOC

I think I have everything and at first glance none of the parts in the box are damaged, many are off the trees. Since the shrinkwrap was off the package and the papers arrived torn, I have no idea if everything is there. On opening the brown paper wrapping , I caught a crew seat as it fell to the floor.It was outside the box and inside the paper.

I worked through the instructions/parts diagram and think it is all there. They did not seal the kit box and the brown paper arrived in tatters. Both addresses were printed onto 3x5 cards and loosely taped to the package.

The fact it got here at all is blind luck

For $7.68 'handling' put the frigging thing in a free box from the grocery/discount club/liquor store and pay an extra $0.50 for postage for christsakes!

Mike please remove "diespam" to reply

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, perhaps you've misunderstood the situation.

Reply to
MLDHOC

Their email is snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

You just violated Ebay's TOS by posting the contact information of an Ebay member without their consent, and have done so with the express purpose of filling their inbox with spam.

This is a suspendable violation, and Ebay will be notified. User ID: mldhoc

Reply to
GavinFriday
*Ouch* That seems a lot for p&p.

You can avoid this happening though. - If the seller hasn't mentioned how much p&p is going to cost in his auction, email him and ask before bidding :)

Cheers,

Dave

Reply to
Captain Haddock

Different seller. Have not run across teamjoedawn, but will avoid them in the future. Rob Gronovius Visit my motor pool in the

gallery

Reply to
Rob Gronovius

I assume from your post that you are probably the offending teamjoedawn. If so, you have an opportunity here to explain your S&H charges.

If you are not teamjoedawn, why have you taken upon yourself to be the e-Bay Police?

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

The reason is quite simple actually, just because you are not satisfied with a transaction, does not give you the right to post that members contact information on a public group so it can be harvested by spambots.

Post a warning with their userID, that is fine, however when you take the route that mldhoc decided to take, it is nothing more that being petty and immature. Now he will lose his Ebay account because of it, which is too bad, but he should have thought of that before taking such a short-sighted approach to his problem.

Gav

P.S: And no I am not teamjoedawn

Reply to
GavinFriday

While I don't have a dog in "this" fight everytime I see this discussion I don't see any mention of the shippers time. It amazes me how people can act on e-bay. Here is how several of my auctions have gone. I state that I will only ship to the lower 48 states with a set cost for priority shipping. I know about what the cost are for priority mail. Never fails the e-mails start arriving with the questions can you make an exception and ship to the other side of the world and how much would it cost? I don't know what the cost are to their part of the world. As normally happens the fella with the winning bid is one the other side of the world and he has never asked if he could bid. Now I trundle down to the PO and get a price for the agreed on air shipping with $400 dollars insurance, to which the bidder states "that's to much, how much for surface with just $200 dollars insurance." It's a 20 min drive one way to the PO and you are lucky to only stand in line for just

30 min. So for an hour and 10 min of my time, the bidder wants me to do it again. Then as a reward, the surface shipping which the bidder requested takes too long and you get the daily e-mails asking you "where is my package?" My time is not free and just because a package you get has $5 on the meter that's not what it cost to mail it to you. Just my E-bay educated 2 cents. Tim
Reply to
Tim Keily

Its far from a moot point. If an Ebayer buyer pays £X (or $X) postage/packing then they should actually get that amount in postage/packing. Far too many Ebay sellers are using high postage costs to augment the the final sales value in their auctions.

Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

Section 5

  1. Your Use of Other Users' Information.

In order to facilitate interaction among all eBay community members, our Site allows you limited access other users' contact and shipping information. As a seller you have access to the User ID, email address and other contact and shipping information of the buyer or winning bidder(s), and as a buyer or winning bidder you have access to the User ID, email address and other contact information of the seller.

By entering into our User Agreement, you agree that, with respect to other users' personal information that you obtain through the Site or through an eBay-related communication or eBay-facilitated transaction, eBay hereby grants to you a license to use such information only for: (a) eBay-related communications that are not unsolicited commercial messages, (b) using services offered through eBay (e.g. escrow, insurance, shipping and fraud complaints), and (c) any other purpose that a user expressly agrees to after you tell them the purpose you would like to use it for. In all cases, you must give users an opportunity to remove themselves from your database and a chance to review what information you have collected about them. In addition, under no circumstances, except as defined in this Section, can you disclose personal information about another user to any third party without our consent and the consent of that user. You agree that other users may use your personal information to communicate with you in accordance with this Section. Note that law enforcement personnel, VeRO program participants, and other rights holders are given different rights with respect to information they access.

eBay and our users do not tolerate spam. Therefore, without limiting the foregoing, you are not licensed to add an eBay user, even a user who has purchased an item from you, to your mail list (email or physical mail) without their express consent. To report eBay related spam to eBay, please contact us using our webform.

Reply to
GavinFriday

I am not objecting to paying for shipping I knew the shiping fee was high when I paid it. I was expecting a large kit to be securely packaged and possibly shipped quickly for my payment amount.

I am not whining that I got taken and please help little old me get my $$ back. Just trying to do a bit of a community service and a caveat emptor for others.

What's that demotivational poster from despiar.com say, "Perhaps your purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others" ?

What I am objecting to paying an inflated 'handling ' charge and getting nothing more than 2 layers of recycled paper, an outer wrapping (1 layer) of brown paper for my $7.68. I don't mind a buck or even two for paper/tape costs, but I won't listen to that "It's a long and special trip to the post office" silliness. To my way of thinking, if you're the seller, you're agreeing to ship the thing. You pay for the long haul outta the lazy-boy and down to the post office.

Mike please remove "diespam" to reply

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, perhaps you've misunderstood the situation.

Reply to
MLDHOC

Can you provide the actual Ebay link to support this??

Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

Perhaps a bit of a childish thing to do, admittedly. I can imagine their anguish as the inbox fills up with spam harvested from one RMS post.

But with a yahoo email account and only 18 feedback on ebay, most of the recent ones negative. (Interesting to note all the negatives have been posted SINCE the end of my auction. ) I am not too concerned I have wronged a completely innocent individual here. The seller has not yet responded to my personal email.

More childish and petulant might have been posting the real name and address of the individual in question, which I have not and will not.

And if e-bay gives me the boot, oh well... I am free to behave like every other poor seller out there.. start a new account under another name.

Not that I am too worried, as an occasional buyer only, they are not a service I can't live without.

Mike please remove "diespam" to reply

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, perhaps you've misunderstood the situation.

Reply to
MLDHOC

that's contrary to the spirit of a virgin prune.

perhaps i'll tell gavin some fink is using his name to be a dickweed.

Report him to ebay? Rolling on the floor laughing my ass off. If you got 1000 of your friends to send emails to ebay about this then you might have a chance to see him kicked off ebay. Most likley just to shut you up not because they give a rats ass. Shipping cost too high? So what? If you don't want it bad enough then don't bid on it. If the seller jacks it up after the sale or misleads you, tell him/her to stick it. Oh my, then there go's my perfect ebay feed back. The horror, the horror. It's not a contest people, you don't need a perfect ebay feedback to get into heaven or get your seventeen virgins. If some jerk charges an extra fee to pack it right then just wraps it in an old paper bag, PLEASE tell me who he is. Screw ebay and you jerks who think ebay or you have a right to hide behind the anonymity of the net. I'm not going to fill up his email with spam. But now that I know his email you can bet that he can't hide. He can change his ebay acct but not likley he'll change his email. If he does then I hope someone posts it here. I would. One more thought. GFRIDAY you are, oh never mind your not worth it.

Reply to
ARMDCAV