Ebay warning: teamjoedawn excessive 'handling' charges

what do you have for vinyl? any old school punk or early wave? snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com we kill for colored vinyl.

Ok, so 10% of $5.55 is $0.55, times 2 is US$1.10 At this point he padded his profits by $6.58

I'd not have minded at all if my $7.68 bought me a sturdy box, well wrapped, and shipped anything other than bulk rate.

Plus as his other replies show, he is doing it intentionally and is completley unapologetic about his if not dishonets, at least decietful buisness practices.

Mike please remove "diespam" to reply

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, perhaps you've misunderstood the situation.

Reply to
MLDHOC

Not neccesarily-At least a 20 mile drive to one of last remaining hobby shpos in DFW area, and in our traffic that usually translates to over 1/2 hour each way. Now they want to turn this particular state highway into a toll road. On a good day, my Rodeo gets 14 mpg, plus wear and tear on the vehicle (32 inch AT tires ain't cheap) and on top of it all, over 8 percent sales tax. Just in gas and tax alone, a $25 kit ends up costing an additional six bucks easily. I'd rather sit on my ass and use eBay while watching the History Channel, and let the mailgirl bring the kit to me.

Reply to
Robert Skipper

It's a violation of eBay policy to charge buyers a percentage for using PayPal. Those charges are a cost of doing business and should be absorbed by the seller as such.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I won a item the other day from US seller and he said if i was to pay by OPP i would have to add a charge, i had always thought that was illigal

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

Heinrich Zinndorf-Linker wrote in news:bp6nnc$oi2$01 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.t-online.com:

They don't do this out of any particular concern for the buyer though. They do it because the shipping charges are not subject to commission. It is a common tactic to sell an item for less than it's actual value plus an inflated shipping charge. This results in the same net cost to the buyer but a lower sellers commission, which is the ONLY reason for this rule.

Reply to
Secret Squirrel

Seen a kit on US ebay, normal av car kit, seller wants 11.95 US shipping, seems one helluvalot

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

jeeesshhh.. I CAN spell.. I just can't type..

@#$#$ new keyboard... Ever get a keyboard where everything was just barely different enough that you missed a few.. Something about the 'action' on this one that makes some keys more sensitive than others too...

oh well.. Mike please remove "diespam" to reply

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, perhaps you've misunderstood the situation.

Reply to
MLDHOC

Mike - I know what you mean - mine sometimes doesn't accept 't' and 'm' - akes i ineresting o read essages fro e. lol

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

There are conditions for such a surcharge - the main one being buyer and seller being in the UK. We UKers can apply a surcharge to Paypal payments as UK law allows this. Ebay have stated many times that US law disallows a surcharge.

As a UK Ebayer, anyone wishing to pay me via a creditcard through Paypal pays the standard 3.4% + 20UKpence that Paypal charges me. I also offer the ability to pay via cash balance at Paypal, and will take a cheque.

Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

Well, as I live next to "the largest indoor shopping centre in Europe" (dunno if its still true but the place is always billed as such), I dont have to worry about wear/tear on a car - I can walk to said shopping centre in 10 minutes. And I can get wonderful bargains there. Like I said, I go and buy from a shop - saves me money.

Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

Well there you go! Driving across Texas is like driving across Europe.

Reply to
Robert Skipper

except for anything to see.

If they didn't want a surcharge added PAYPAL shouldn't charge so much.

When items go for 30p ALL profits are absorbed by paypal fees - also why we in the UK up our postage rates with low value items

Reply to
Xbase++

Poor 1980 HM normally

got rid of most of them

Reply to
Xbase++

darn.

Fine. I'll offer a 4% discount to buyers using cash or money order from now on. I take it that would be legal?

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

It's not a matter of legality. You'd have to ask eBay if that would violate their policy.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

What an absolutely lovely confusing mess. At least the NJ systems makes sense; if someone wants to pay through an expensive system, let them pay for the privilege themselves. Is there any reason the law protects the credit card companies in this way, or is it simply a matter of rule-by-money?

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

snipped-for-privacy@mail.com (Rob van Riel) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

It doesn't really have to do with protecting the credit card companies or merchants. It's about protecting the state tax coffers. If merchants were allowed to offer discounts for cash, it was assumed that some would do so and that those cash sales would go unreported. Clearly that is a ridiculous notion as merchants who are so inclined will still skim cash, but as I understand it that was the logic.

Reply to
Secret Squirrel