Re: This is a virus/trojan.

Strange, I thought trojans were supposed to help prevent catching virusses...

It's been going around a lot as an email too. Do not download, > execute or otherwise install the attachments. This email doesn't come > from Microsoft.
Reply to
EGMcCann

I think that's supposed to be virii. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

You would have thought so but maybe it's not been added or possibly dropped as I tried three different dictionaries and nothing found. I had used 'virii' a few times myself in the past.

For the plural, or is it plurii, try a single 's' .

BTW, to the original poster, trojans are not your friend!

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

Very old news. I get atleast 50 "viruses" in my email daily, if not more. In reality, most are worms, rather than virii, and most of them come with headers to suggest they're from Microsoft, or a mailer daemon. Unfortunately for the sender, almost none of these emails are properly arranged to truly mimic such a genuine email.

Thanks to big antivirus companies (even though some of them are pretty good), the public remains fairly illiterate when it comes to what a virus is, or how to prevent them.

Fact is, very few types of programs/files can act independently IMMEDIATELY after download. By not executing executables, or by deleting any attachment-laced emails rather than opening them, you can save yourself a ton of headaches later.

You should also be wary of installing software which downloads patches and updates independently, as these can also be sabotaged.

Reply to
Chris

Well excuse me but I saw the James Bond movie and thats not how the English spell it.

Reply to
ARMDCAV

Yeah...but what do they know? They also thought Roger Moore made a GOOD "James Bond"!....lol

(I prefer Lazenby....the TRUEST to Fleming's writing...lol)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

No we bloody didn't! Well, not all of us anyway...

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

I thought that "Vess loves Gore" speech string was a virus

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Having been a computer nerd for 30 years plus, I can tell my friends here that there are email harvester bots that glean email addy's from news group servers, among other sources. I don't mean to point any fingers, but since I started getting rms from the roadrunner new server, I have been inundated with bogus Microsoft messages. I do get mail from Microsoft as a member of their executive software evaluation group (sounds impressive but it's not.) I have discovered that McAfee and Symantec are no better than the free offering from a German outfit Anti-Vir. PC Cillin has a problem with Cisco and linksys with packets arriving out of order (not a good thing). What I wanted to relay here was that the best defense against virus/trojans and non-latex (smirk) intruders is to keep you machine up to date using "windows update" at the top of the popup window initiated by the start button. Also, be sure to keep you virus definitions up to date. Depending or orientation, trojans look for those with their pants down. PS... I am most pleased to be a part of rms. As a novice I appreciate the free flow of information and now include checking rms postings as they fit nicely with the morning fix of caffeine. The virus stuff is just a minor annoyance, however with the proper maintenance and up to date virus definitions, it's a small price to pay for the information gained. I run a software firewall (free) from Zone Alarm, and a linksys BEFSR41 (version 2, V3 has problems) router with hardware firewall and anti-vir so I don't have any trouble with intrusions or malicious code, or script kiddies. Check for Windoz updates, defrag weekly ( O&O defrag is free and works at least as well as the offering from Microsoft and it's much faster). Just another good reason to keep in the habit of keeping the machines up to snuff. Cheers to all! Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Apple

ypu are aware that rr sells emaol adresses? and the worms harvest a fair amount? i spoof both my news server and isp...and still get a little crap.

I figured it was because I habitually frequent here that I was getting all this crap in my inbox. It really started hitting severely areound the end of September and some is still coming in but the number is way down at last. Verizon was lagging slightly but great gobs of it ended up in their spam traps. I had to go in and clean the muck out daily to keep my account from clogging up.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

it was the net in general with all the clueless opeming those official trojans...verizon ain't bad, using them with eudora and mailwasher keeps my mailbox minty fresh.