Chinese still thieves regarding technology

Gee, no wonder it's cheaper for the Chinese to do such things, they just steal. Quote from the Scientific American article.

The Chinese needed a suit with similar functions, so after obtaining samples of the Sokol design they copied it exactly, right down to the stitching and color scheme.

Note, not they licensed it, they subcontracted it, they just stole it.

Reply to
a0002604

And that surprises you? Most businesses know this and act accordingly. If you're smart, you don't sell cutting edge technology to the ChiComs.

Mark Simpson

And this surprises you?

AT least you can take solice in the probability that it's a lousy copy & won't work right.

Phil Ste>Gee, no wonder it's cheaper for the Chinese to do such things, they >just steal.

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

Sounds like the "made in Japan" attitude back in the '60's. Look what they went on to do. Never underestimate the competition. Tom Henderson

Reply to
Thomas R. Henderson

Reply to
a0002604

No underestimating - just fact. I have no doubt that they'll get it right some day but, we live in the present.

They aren't the only ones to do it. As long as the US continues to create leading edge technologies built to a high standard of quality, we're a step beyond the competition.

Phil Stein

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

I didn't catch the beginning of the thread but this is sought of like my Acura (Japanese) that has hmmm 250,000 miles and keeps running without a hiccup as opposed to other garbage "made in the USA".......

Ironically, most individuals will make a statement that the Japanese build things to a higher standard as though we could if we tried. Just like the kid that sits out of a ball game insistent that he can do better if he tried...

Reply to
andyP

The design to fail philosophy wins the stock market race and here in the USA that is ALL that matters. The SEC sees to that. The FED tries to kill it though, and succeeds, masterfully.

Jerry

Crap cars AND low stock prices and pension values. The new American way. Thanks Bill.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I can't speak for everything ChiCom but, this I do know. The damn ChiComs have some of the sloppiest manufacturing standards I've ever seen. Harbor Freight is full of their crap. Power saws, drills wrenches..all of it sloppy, weak and prone to early failure. Wentzel had the ChiComs knock off a Petromax lantern. The original for those of you who don't know, is about the same size as a Coleman but is considerably more powerful. It puts out about the equivalent of a 500 watt incandescent bulb and will burn any fuel you can stuff in it including olive oil and liquid Crisco. The Chinese knock off runs only on 1K kerosene and even then, not very well. The valves fit poorly, the tank is cheap steel instead of brass and the nickel finish is thin thin thin! Shoot, even the Pakies did a better knock off with their version. Dang, even fireworks aren't what they used to be.

Reply to
Reece Talley

Bringing this back on-topic, I hope that anyone out there thinking about buying a Campbell - Hausfeld air compressor for airbrushing work will think twice before doing so. I picked up one of these little $99 babies at Wal Mart thinking I couldn't go wrong. After 18 months of VERY LIGHT use (12 month warrantee, natch) it stopped compressing beyond about 40 PSI or so, so being the curious type I am, I took her apart to have a looksee. The oilless piston ring had turned to black dust and this dust had gotten beneath the read valve, preventing it from sealing properly. Moreover, the components themselves (piston, sleeve, etc.) looked like they had been machined by cavemen with sharp rocks. Because of the worn piston ring, the piston and sleeve had become scored beyond hope.

To compound this, C-H doesn't SELL individual repair parts, you have to buy the whole damned pump assembly. Cost? about $75, including shipping. For a $99 compressor.

C-H can bite my shiny metal ass, before I buy another piece of sh*t from them.

"Reece Talley" wrote:

Reply to
BB

Nice to see you are just as polite as ever BB :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

DeVilbiss makes compressors here in TN. Give them a try. My oilless compressor is still going strong. I painted my father's barn with it this summer, so it had to do some serious work. It's just a 5 hp, 20 gallon unit, but it fills fast and is reliable.

Mark has probably seen a few of their paint nozzles in Detroit. They do make cheap paint guns for the general public, but they also make top end specialized paint nozzles for computerized paint lines up there.

tim

Reply to
tim

What do they say about you?

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll

True much different places. You know the really ironic thing is that it is the US that sends this work overseas to start with and the public that continues to support the practice by supporting companies that do it. Oh it is pointless to even take objection to it at this point because most companies are doing it. Saves money, eh?

We are a pathetic nation as a whole that has sold out our own future for a few bucks.... Ask the growing unemployed and I am sure they will agree.

Reply to
andyP

Unemployment is going down. Of course they track unemployment by the number of claims filed, and if you've exceeded your benefit, you don't get to file a claim,...

Joel. phx Outsourced to Brazil

Sitting in the hot tub of a $380/night hotel (priceline $93/night) on Coronado Island and the guy across from me is visiting Mexico to see about opening a plant there. I kept wondering how much longer they'd be needing 'him'.

Reply to
Joel Corwith

The whole thing is like the guy that starts tearing up his fence for fire wood, then his floor, etc. How much before the house (US workforce) caves in. I have been an independent for 3 years now since the bottom crunched in the IT market. How many computer jobs to India? I live near Fisher Price Toys. All they are is a bunch of customer service people on the phone.... manufacturing went over to China... As long as the people that control the money keep their jobs (and control the media) I don't think the truth about the impact of the practice of outsourcing will ever get out.

Reply to
andyP

I agree but the internet IS alternate media. Start a web page with a hard news position.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

So the next time some nutbar christian fundamentalist group peforms some particularly atrocious act, the correct response would be to bomb the piss out of the Vatican?

Honestly, attitudes like that make me glad that I'm not from this planet...

Reply to
Marcus Leech

Don't give the Israelies any ideas :)

Reply to