Chinese still thieves regarding technology

Many of them already have been replaced by robots. Cars are now robot-welded, sealers are applied by robots and almoost all cars are robot-painted now.

Mark Simpson

Hate to burst anyones bubble, but everyone "steals" from everyone else.

I work in automotive and as soon as a new model is introduced by a competitor we buy a few and tear them down to see if there are any ideas we can use. We call this "Benchmarking."

What about rocketry? Didn't the US "borrow some technology from some other people? I guess we really didn't steal German technology if we stole the Germans that came up with it. It's like how the US now has the world's fastest marathon runner. That is, as of the guy converting from Moroccan citizenship.

That said, I'm NOT a fan of Chinese tools, etc. etc. Unfortunately, in this Wal-Mart society we live in, the average person is going to choose on price, and quality is often second place. Don't think they'll be there for very long either. Remember Hyundai?

Yitah

a>If you knew your history, you would know that the U.S. in the 1700 and 1800

Reply to
yitahspam

What ever happened to WalMarts buy / sell American policy?

Hyundai is South Korean. Their lack of quality was only exceeded by Kia, and then they bought them out. Sure they offer a 10 year warranty. No one wowuld buy their junk without it. But runor has it that they are improving, just as the Japanese did decades ago.

I've yet to see China enter the auto market.

Bob Kaplow

Which was exactly my point. The average Muslim making his once-in-a lifetime pilgrammage to Mecca (Hadj) is related to nutbar terrorists to roughly the same degree as your average Catholic making the trip to the Vatican, which is to say, not at all.

Reply to
Marcus Leech

Oh, I can see it now: The Peoples' Motor Company's Rickshaw-400-LS. It's based on an improved Renault Alliance with Bricklin enhancements, and the ultra-reliable high-silicon-content aluminum engine block. Plus, to control costs, it uses surplus door latch and window regualtor parts from the Fiat X1/9. And Rucas erectric.

Yeah, Baby!

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

It's a creation of marketing. Nothing but a Suburban with a boxy body and a premium price.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

"Klaatu Barada... nickle? Necktie? Klaatu Barada N...! There! I said it!"

Surely someone here will recognize this. :)

Reply to
RayDunakin

I agree that they should not all be lumped together with terrorists. However, it does appear that a large percentage of Muslims do support terrorist acts. You don't see video of Catholics dancing in the street everytime some nutjob bombs an abortion clinic.

Reply to
RayDunakin

If you liked Army of Darkness, you are gonna love this:

Kurt Kesler

You certainly saw a lot of Catholics dancing in the streets of Belfast during the troubles in Ireland, when terrorism was committed against England...

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

WTF?

And I'd thought I'd seen everything when I watched "Nuclear Tornado"!

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

Exactly!

Nawwwww. I had a 3/4 ton Silverado Suburban for a time and a Hummer doesn't come close. I'm sure any chicken that crossed the road would agree.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Well, when you lived in Jersey did you ever attend a Hootenanny? :-) They were a Piney thiing.......dunno if they still have em though.

Chuck

Chuck Rudy

VooDoo Digital Productions

Chuck Rudy

Ahh Bricklin.......my father owned #708 white '74 four speed........neat car, but poooooooorly built. After a person spent about 400hours and a couple thousand bucks then you had something. When he first got the car we pulled down the license plate to unlock the hatch and low and behold they drilled the hole in the wrong spot for the keyhole, so they just drilled another and got it right on the second try.......the Hurst shifter was cut so short all that could be seen on it was ....ST........it had an AMC 360 with a GM carbeurator, Chrysler transmission and Ford rear.......you couldn't drive it in the rain, not because of the slow doors but because they leaked so bad they could have been planters......but they did look cool

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Grr I hope a 96 Plymouth Voyager does not fall into that class. I just got one and I LOVE it so far. I actually FIT very well in this vehicle. no complaints so far. I hope I fair better than you did. (fingers crossed) it is look wise a VERY nice vehicle. I just hope it is also mechanically nice.

I got it to get OUT of money pits not to get into another one.

I put a LOT of miles on my vehicles (less than 20 days and already got nearly 1500 miles on it)

already got a check engine light but its just a cat so no big deal. (pheew was sweating for a bit their :-)

I have a lot of Modification plans for this vehicle to really spiff it up but I am going to wait till I put 10k miles on it to see what I am in for on the long haul (should take me 2-4 months at most to pull that off)

Chris Hoping I did not make a bad choice Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

My wife had a Hyundai Excel when I met her. We traded it in (OK...we got $100 for it, but at least they took it with the bashed in driver's door, one bumper blue with the rest of the car red, and a few other glitches) at the 10-year mark with 220,000+ miles on it. It was buring a bit of oil by then, and we had to carry spare plugs all the time for when we'd foul one, but it was still actually going pretty strong.

Reply to
Anonymous

I made the mistake of listening to the little wo........errr.......ah....the wife as she wanted to trade in the old Aerostar with only 275K on it.......I have the Chebbie Cavalier and it's going fine with 127K, oil changes and brakes so far...the only foreign car I've messed with was a VW Rabbit Diesel, she wanted something new after 307K, so I sold it to a kid who had a hot car he couldn't drive in the winter and I see it from time to time, it's still going 8 years later. I figure cars are a crap shoot, since the neighbor had a Mazda pickup in which the second replacement engine lasted at total of 2.000 miles, they all put out a bad car from time to time....but anytime we take a trip north it's not an 'official' trip until we see a dead Cherokee on the side of the road :-( , that dubious distinction used to belong to the Ford Taurus and their rubber band transmissions

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Cat?

Gotta watch those, Chris. My grandmother's was dispatched in a most gruesome way. It seems that kitty, looking for a nice warm place to sleep in a cold garage, camped out on the aircleaner. Gram fired up the car (some sort of an old AMC IIRC), and, um, kitty "hit the fan"...

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

Uhmmm. It was a 1996 Plymouth Voyager, Chris. I wish you luck :-(

Reply to
Marcus Leech

Curious on that Mazda truck...what year was it? Was it Ford/Mazda or a Mazda? The reason I ask is I bought a new 1990 Mazda truck in '90 and in 7 years ran up 220k miles on it with no problems. A buddy of mine bought one of the Ford/Mazda trucks with a V6 and pretty much always had motor troubles. Pretty much all my vehicles have reached the 200k club and my current ride is a '89 camry that's just about to hit the 200k.

My dad bought a new 928 in '82 and since then he has run up the miles big time on it; 450k! My dad's buddy used to be a Porsche race mechanic and did all the maintenance on it since new. The car mechanically is pristine and still fast after all these years. Could use a respray on the front though.

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
moonglow