Chinese still thieves regarding technology

He ran a pretty good auction too! ; )

Randy

Reply to
Randy

A truck with a 4 cylinder is pretty much a contradiction of terms. It would be ok if all you ever haul is rockets to a remote launch site. ; )

Randy

Reply to
Randy

I want a truck with 2 cylinders (mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm) to augment the truck with an 8 cylinder big block.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

The Harley Davidson pickup? :-)

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Both of which assume you can deduct any or all of your car expenses. Most of us can't. IIRC you have to use your car more than 50% business use to deduct any thing, and driving 40 miles each way to/from work doesn't count at all. Now the few months I was an independent consultant while being "between jobs" was different, but that was over a decade ago...

Bob Kaplow

The Gremlin looked like the Rabbit/Golf. Which is what I got instead.

You know, there's some things you just don't have to do yourself. Really intelligent people are those who learn from the mistakes of OTHERS.

Bob Kaplow

I'm sure that's true. But it's not MY problem...

Bob Kaplow

Thank you for disclosing your true colors.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Better than the Odyssey or Sienna?

Bob Kaplow

Aren't those excess mileage charges on a lease a killer?

Bob Kaplow

When I bought the first one, the only choices were small and medium I-4s. The first V-6s came on the market about 6 months after I got my first one. What was REALLY annoying is that the V6 got mileage equal to or better than the wimpy 4! In fact, the 3 minivans I've owned to date all got basically identical gas mileage. That 2.6L I4 did no better than the Acura 3.5L VTEC V6 that's in my Odyssey.

Bob Kaplow

Naturally - because with fuel injection and closed-loop mixture control, the mixture is essentially optimum at any throttle position. So the fuel mileage pretty much goes with the total friction (rolling _ aerodynamic) and the weight (in town). The same van, more or less, will get essentially the same mileage no matter what engine is in it.

BTW, I just went through the mini-van process again. I am very happy with my new Mazda - plenty big enough, lots of power with the new engine, very comfortable ride and handling, and best of all, quite reasonable price. I got the luxury leather interior version, without the DVD (since my airplanes hardly ever watch TV) or power doors, and after it was all done, it was about $22000. Took off to Indiana for the NATS with 458 miles on the clock, and 3 airplanes and all my stuff, and the cross-country trip was perfectly comfortable (albiet long).

Brett

Reply to
Brett Buck

I have never heard anyone put the word handling in a sentance when speaking of minivans, every minivan I ever drove handled like it was a piece of plywood with a beach ball under each corner, some were just mushier than others, maybe less air in the beach balls. ;-)

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

you said fleet of 5 vechiles mark. does that mean you have a business that is paying for them ?

Reply to
AlMax714

That'a alot of insurance. I hope you have a good job!

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Some minians handle like trucks, especially those built off truck platforms. Some handle like cars, typically those built off car platforms.

Bob Kaplow

and hold up like trucks.......which is their only saving grace

Now that is a stretch........they don't handle they allow for commutation :-) they all wash out (understeer hugely) on Kelly Drive in Philly, the suspension floats like marshmellow puffs........they should be banned fromThe Drive and denoted as speed bumps.......I had the Aerostar XL, built off a truck platform, it had much more space than an Grand Caravan and it held up well,as far as driving it's only redeeming value was it could kick butt in the snow......one of the greatest things in the snow are rear axle only anti-locks.......that was a stroke of brilliance as we all know a rollling wheel will never pass a skidding wheel.......never!

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

This describes "trucky" vans to a tee. The worst of the bunch is the Chevy Astrovan. I drove to Oregon in one and I was exhausted by the time I got there, because it required continual attention to keep it on the road (particularly in the Mt. Shasta area). It had a lot of miles, so I assumed it was a worn-out steering rack. Later, my buddy got another one, brand new, and it drove EXACTLY the same way as the old one. It does hold a lot of stuff.

The car-like ones (later Chryslers, the Honda, and particularly the Mazda) drive as well as most sedans. I've had the opportunity to drive most of the standard Mercedes, and I'll take my van over a 450 SEL any day, if you want to take a few turns around Sears Point. Damn SEL drives like a 67 Impala with bad shocks (not the AMG - different deal entirely).

I've owned several good-handling cars (Lotus Esprit, Datsun 510 with all the tricks from back in the day), and driven many, many more (like the Europa, Elan, New Elan, Seven series 2, Corvette, Viper, and several race cars). I'm not saying the vans are equivalent, but they are better than most passenger cars were in the 60's and 70's.

I might also add that the Honda is quite sprightly in a straight line, and the Mazda is not bad (mostly because it has a 5-speed automatic that lets you use all 200 HP most of the time). The Chysler with the larger of the two engines is pretty good, too. The Honda has more SAE HP (240) than a lot of old 60's musclecars (ignore all pre-SAE ratings, most of which originated in the marketing office, not the dyno room), and all the current Mustangs outside the Cobra. Given the weight shift from the high CG, the traction control can come into play even on dry ground.

Brett

Reply to
Brett Buck

With all due respect, once I make the weight transfer on roll center I will immediatley recognize I'm not in a real car, it's a sorry excuse for transportation and as long as those who drive them recognize that fact they will understand their place......much like those who drive two story SUVs must also understand, but fortunatly when those in SUVs screw up they usually only kill themselves-and sorry to say their innocent children.......I really wonder where anyone got the idea that light trucks handle, drive, are controllable as cars.....size must have bred confidence.......I've lost a couple friends to the SUV craze and I do miss them. Why did they have to be such dopes?

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

On the (OT) subject of cars, if anybody is in the market for a car / truck, and a Ford "X-Plan" discount will push you off the fence, send me an e-mail and I'll set you up.

The discount applies also to Ford-owned companies like Mazda, Jaguar, Volvo, and Land Rover.

Yitah

Note spamblock in address below

yitah at bignet dot net

Reply to