Chinese still thieves regarding technology

Wasn't the lead singer of the band Eddy Van Handling? :-)

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Olds Rocket 88!!

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

My 88 was a 64.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I took my driving test in a 1971 Olds 88. I felt like a harbormaster trying to dock a barge while doing my parallel parking. ;-)

Mark Simpson

My 88 was a 70. Best car I ever owned. Even with 10 people crammed in I could get it going on a long straight-away to bury the needle.

TJ

Reply to
TJ

There's a car that doesn't NEED a Jato!

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Did you get in on the starboard or port side?

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

That gets it back to rocketry, and '59 Plymouths had big fins on them, how did the figure the Cp?

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

I took mine in April of 1972 in a 1968 Bonneville. Made a 96.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Then there was that soup back in the 70's - the Van Handlers.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

I took my driving test in a 1949 Plymouth 4 door in 1961. It was dark gray with gray interior. Had plywood pieces under the floor mats so the feet wouldn't drag on the pavement in case of a sudden stop! I learned to drive on that and an English Ford Anglia (sp?). Both had 3 speed trannys, the Plymouth's was on the column and the Ford on the floor.

Karl Perry QUARK, Cincinnati, OH

Reply to
KG8GC

Sheesh, you had a tach? You must have had the cool SS. I had a clock in the tach hole. I must have had the Grandma SS....... :) Damn clock never worked either!!

Eric

Reply to
Eric Perron

Ya know, that was pretty much expected with Detroit iron. The clocks only lasted as long as the warranty. But broken clocks were so common, it was just expected, and nobody complained. As long as Grandma's car had 400 horsepower, nothing else mattered.

All that changed when we went to unleaded fuel and the Arabs embargoed, both in 1973. Horsepower was way dowm, and we all started looking around for other redeeming qualities only to find that our cars were ugly and poorly built. It took Detroit until the late 80's before they got it together.

I love my new Impala. And the clock works pretty good :)

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

Big vacuum gauge in the dash; the tach was mounted on the steering column...aftermarket style.

Mark Simpson

Two words "fuel injection". It changed the entire performance car market. Detroit was finally able to meet emission standards AND put out good HP numbers.

Mark Simpson

You guys are bringing back memories... Painful ones...

Like the time I had a mechanical oil gauge installed in my Impala (327), on top of the dash, and had neglected to tighten the nut from the pressure line all the way. There I was, cruising to work at a sedate speed (), when suddenly I see some flashing red lights approaching in my rear-view mirror. I immediately removed my foot from the accelerator, slowing down, and at JUST THAT INSTANT the nut worked itself loose, and the line containing HOT OIL started spraying inside the car. Of course, since the gauge was mounted on top of the dashboard, and I had done a reasonably good job of dressing the line, this meant that hot oil started spraying right about chest/neck level.

I immediately swerved off the freeway to the shoulder (yes, I looked first), and shut the engine off so that the !@!%! oil pressure would subside. My friend the Highway Patrol officer pulled up behind me, and walked up to the passenger window, bent down, looked in, saw me drenched and steaming in hot motor oil, and started laughing his butt off...

He decided I'd had enough trouble for one day, and gave me a warning...

David Erbas-White

(note: don't try this at home, this was a professional driver on a closed course )

Reply to
David Erbas-White