Chinese still thieves regarding technology

Klaatu Barada Nixon. Old Vulcan proverb.

Bob Kaplow

Perhaps you forgot the ones in Northern Ireland...

Bob Kaplow

Hundai? Not driven, but been driven in by colleagues. Not impressed.

Kia? Had one as a rental for a week when my Crapavan was getting one of its transmission repairs. Cheapest thing Enterprise offered. Worst POS I'd ever been in. WAY worse than the old AMC Gremlin. The car was totally unstable manuvering at highway speeds. I was terrified every time I had to take the thing on the highways.

Bob Kaplow

They do. Check the recall list. My Crapavan was up to 10 when I dumped it. 2 were for safety problems I'd already encoutered that cost me big bux. One the dealer refused to fix under the recall until I started making phone calls to the NHTSC

Too bad.

I do 80 miles a day just to and from work.

Bob Kaplow

Gee, my Crapavan only averaged 21K MTTF. You're doing pretty good.

Bob Kaplow

GRrrrrrrrrrrrr. Hopefully I will fair better. Grrrrr

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

? that transmission in it has 151,000 miles on it and still tight ? (Engine has 44,000)

Please Oh Please I hope I fair better. I really like it and the ride is simply amazing. almsot as smooth as my dad's town car.

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

Very sad. Most likely a cherokee abused and not cared for.

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

er, wasn't that "It took Nixon to raze a village"?

Reply to
BB

"Only Nixon can go to China."

"I don't trust them I never have........." "Guess who's coming to deener"

Randy

Reply to
Randy

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:56:04 -0400, Kurt Kesler is alleged to have written:

"Based on the Bram Stoker Award nominee short story by acclaimed author Joe R. Lansdale, Bubba Ho-tep tells the ?true? story of what really did become of Elvis. We find the King(Bruce Campbell) as an elderly resident in an East Texas rest home, who switched identities with an Elvis impersonator years before his ?death?, then missed his chance to switch back. Elvis teams up with Jack(Ossie Davis), a fellow nursing home resident who thinks that he is actually President John F. Kennedy, and the two valiant old codgers sally forth to battle an evil Egyptian entity who has chosen their long-term care facility as his happy hunting grounds?"

That is truly a scary description. I *need* to see this movie.

- Rick "It's necessary" Dickinson

Reply to
Rick Dickinson

You left out that the director, Don Coscarelli, is the same guy who did Phantasm and Beastmaster.

It's gonna be a hoot.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

Chris, I've had 3 Chrysler minivans over the past 6 years. I can tell you from experience that I will NEVER buy one. All three were leased with the hope that the transmission would fall out AFTER I turned it in. I miscalculated once (1997 Grand Caravan with 20k miles on it and under warranty, thank God) and the jury's out on my 2003 T&C. ;-)

Mark Simpson

some deleted

No, but I always regretted never making it to the taping of American Bandstand in Philly or Al Hurt's Steel Pier Show in Atlantic City in the late 60's and 70's.

Mark Simpson

Slow learner, Mark?

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

It only took me 2 crapavans to learn to stay away from Chrysler. And the first one got trashed by a drunk driver, so I never really got to the point where everything started failing before replacing a 1987 with a 1991. The 87 had the 2.6L 4-cylinder, and was grossly under powered. Makes you wonder about the 2.2L version they sold. The 91 had a much better V6, but 5 major transmission failures, one major ABS failure, and TEN recalls while I had it...

Bob Kaplow

You're just lucky Bob :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Worse handling. I always thought the Gremlin looked a lot like the VW Rabbit/Golf, and I liked my Rabbit. Except for its valve guides... It's still the best winter snow & ice car I've ever owned, even though back then no one had ABS or traction control. But it was a high maintenance vehicle.

My cousin had a Gremlin. I liked their looks and wanted one, until one day I got a ride in hers. Rode like a truck. Sounded like a truck.

But that KIA rental was the pits. All four tires looked like my temporary spare. The thing handled so bad I thought I was going to flip the thing when doing a simple lane change at 55. I was white knuckled the whole time I had it on the highway, driving 40 miles each way to/from work for a week. Was afraid to get it up to the speed of the rest of the traffic, which is usually 75-80 when not blocked by road destruction or rubberneckers.

Bob Kaplow

Bob, the rest of us are terrified anytime you take ANY car on the highway ;-)

Christopher Deem

We've got a little one here (9 weeks old) so not much time to do anything but dream about rockets and rear RMR once a week or so.

The Central Pacific Railroad actually treated the Chinese better than they were treated elsewhere. (Mining towns, etc) The mistreatment and casualties seem to be something of an urban legend, perhaps confused with the Canadian Pacific Railroad which had perhaps 2000 Chinese casualties. There's a monument in Toronto.

We'll never know how many dies in Mao's "purges," perhaps hundreds of thousands, This is peanuts compared to the death and suffering in the "Great Leap Forward" where gross incompetence and mismanagement of the economy by the communists starved an estimated 10-20 million people.

I'm still not clear on how that relates to mistreatment of Chinese in the late 1800's in the US. I certainly wouldn't say that it justifies it, particularly being after the fact.

Sorry if I came off a little strong on that note - it's not correct to say there were no descendents of the railroad workers,, but there were certainly very few. The demographics of the migrant Chinese workers (overwhelmingly male) and discriminatory laws (No naturalization, no intermarriage and no bringing over relatives, fiances, wives, etc over) made it highly unlikely. If you look at the census numbers, the population of San Fran more than doubled from 1880 to 1920, while the number of Chinese dropped by half. This trend is echoed nationwide.

Yitah

Reply to
yitahspam