technology

Gentlemen,

I know we live in a high tech world but there is the odd occasion when something happens that really makes you think. This afternoon I was working on my laptop and had to speak to our Administrator at the office so I rang here on my mobile and requested a photograph of a part and told here where to find it on the company server. She attached it to an email and said its sent, she had hardly finished the sentence and it appeared on my computer. The speed astounded me especially if you consider its route ending at my router and the wireless connection to my laptop. Another thought I have had that makes you think is that I spent a long weekend at IF taking loads of pictures, and working hard also , on Monday night I loaded them onto my computer size reduced them and uploaded them onto Picaso on the Web, sent some to Paul for his article and I then informed all of the various Forums of their existence. Had that been a film camera it would have been to much like hard work to get the film processed, copies of prints made and posted off to various parties, at least a week if not longer. The mind boggles at it an worryingly we totally rely on the technology, god help us if it ever went belly up.

Martin P

begin 666 icon_biggrin.gif M1TE&.#EA#P`/`+,-`$5%1?_J`````/_____.`/_)`/^T`/Z=`/_^D__]$___ MQ___Z__E`````````````"'Y! $```T`+ `````/``\```19L$D):IVXU:40 M(A

Reply to
campingstoveman

Snip....

Reply to
D.J.Carter

Reply to
Charles Hamilton

I've often wondered about the damp Millennium squib. If we had not considered it & Done Stuff, would it have actually caused massive system failures?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

It cost me about =A3600 personally, to replace two =A3100 sensors and about =A3400 for the guy in the asbestos-proof spacesuit to install them. This was done a year or so beforehand, with notice from the sensor maker.

Two more of the same sensor, down the same filth-filled hole, with the same data-logging firmware problem, but on another project, weren't changed. Their installer wasn't as supportive/ gullible as I was, the plant owner didn't take it seriously.

After January, the steam-grommet factory affected was seriously affected by this (yes, they stopped working). I think they kept working, but barely. I imagine the cost to fix was much what we'd paid, i.e. about twice what it would have done if we'd all swapped them together. Plus the factory stoppage time.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You were damned if you did and damned if you didn=92t. As for the inevitable advance of technology, it=92s always been questioned. I=92m old enough to remember folks complaining about alternators replacing dynamos in cars, TV=92s having remote controls (what=92s wrong with just getting off the sofa?), quartz watches, microwaves, dishwashers and calculators replacing slide rules! Now we all use computers, Kim wants a car with air con as standard and my washing machine doesn=92t tie the clothes in knots like my mother=92s first one did. Technology has always advanced. The stuff we don=92t want has a habit of dying out like Sinclair=92s C5 and Soda Streams. Most examples of technological improvements work quietly away unseen. My car=92s sealed for life suspension joints last a lot longer than the old ones with grease nipples and my kettle turns itself off when it boils. They even cost less than they used to. Some things worry me, CCTV, identity cards and centralised computer records that know more about me than I do. I=92m strongly opposed to pay- per-mile road pricing for that reason. If big brother has that, they know where I am and what speed I=92m doing at any time, day or night. All that from a government that didn=92t want to publish their own expense claims and a police force that=92s supposed to serve the public but is so secretive about their own actions. Rant over (for now) John

Reply to
John