Ebay warning: teamjoedawn excessive 'handling' charges

Perhaps GFRIDAY should have answerd the question >>> If you are not teamjoedawn, why have you taken upon yourself to be the

The question is "you", not what ebays rules are.

Reply to
ARMDCAV

Tim,

you can use your postal service web page to get the costs. I recommend you put a pointer to it in your auctions and remind buyers that there is a charge on top of that for box and gas !

I often found *I* had to tell US Postal users how LITTLE they charge to ship with insurance to the UK.

So not all "furrners" are unhelpful. So often I think US sellers are scared of shipping overseas. I won't repeat the stupid questions I get asked when I contact a seller about shipping to Scotland. Large countries always end up with provincial views - it comes with the size :-)

Reply to
Bad-Boy

yes a lot wont ship to the UK, and i tell them that they would get more if they did as the stuff they sell US only too is usually 10 a penny but to people in the UK its not poosible to by local. i won 6 or more wins, all the same sized kits, he did state the US shipping(like the rest did) but he tried to say the shipping was almost 30 bucks comp to 12-14 for the same size from the other sellers.

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

Maybe not. But you are definately the south end of a north bound horse.

If you are soooo worried about Ebay's policies, go to work for them. But, keep your nose out of a public forum in which people with shared interests try to help one another with information about many subjects including crooked/unethical points of sale.

Reply to
SamVanga

All of this refers to "personal" information. given that MH posted "public" information (i.e. the seller ID and location, both posted in a public environment), I doubt there is a real issue anyway.

Had he posted the actual names and contact info, that would be different.

Again, south end, north bound horse.

Reply to
SamVanga

You didn't pay attention to what I was writing about. How much someone pays for shipping postage has nothing to do with how well the kit's packaged. Yes, if shipping is "X amount", then that's what should be done. However, whether it's wrapped in brown paper or a wooden crate is irrelevant if it arrives intact.

Reply to
famvburg

I did. You are advocating that its ok to charge high postage as long as the item arrives safely. To put it bluntly, thats bollocks.

Its totally relevant. Paying over the odds for a cheap postage option is a sure sign of rip-off artist.

Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

And what part of that stops anyone from posting the info MLDHOC posted?

Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

They wont - what you did doesnt break any Ebay rules.

Yup.

Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

I sell stuff from Russia; both direct from Russia to buyers in Asia and Europe or shipping from Russia to me and then to other points. I never charge a handling fee: only a flat fee based on US mail averages, like $1.00 for a small item first class mail US, but actual to foreign locations. Yeah, I have lost things, but very few...

I build my profit and time >> And if e-bay gives me the boot, oh well...

Lance Mertz Ketchikan, Alaska Toujours Prete

Nospam in email address to respond.

Reply to
Lance Mertz

Am Sun, 16 Nov 2003 01:00:07 -0000 schrieb "Jimi":

Don't be too sure about that. eBay Germany (for example) definitely says, that only the EFFECTIVE shipping costs have to be charged - and not one penny more than that. To add some cents for the packaging to the postage fee is ok and accepted, but ANY "artificial cost increase" is against the rules. So, if the packaging is cheap, the possible addition has to be low down to zero, if used material is taken - if it is expensive, the buyer has to accept these. And if the buyer pays for good packaging, he has to get it. Not more, not less. Finito.

Maybe you should sometimes read the rules (and be up-to-date with their changes)...

cu, ZiLi aka HKZL (Heinrich Zinndorf-Linker)

Reply to
Heinrich Zinndorf-Linker

I am NOT advocating it's OK to pay high postage & not get what you pay for. Go back & read all the posts. What I was referring to was the fact the package was only wrapped in paper, no cardboard box. The moot point would be, IMO, is if the kit arrived safe & sound, then it doesn't matter how it was packaged. If it is damaged, then THAT is relevant. That has nothing at all to do with paying $15 for postage only to have it shipped for $5. Other than, obviously, if it was in a box, it would weigh more, so the postage would be more. Whether it makes $10 difference or not, well... As I've said in at least one other group, "postage/shipping & handling" are usually not used properly. "postage/shipping", is just that, what it costs to mail/ship the item. "Handling" is just that. What it costs, if anything, to handle the preparation. The way it works out is, unless specified, true "handling" would be anything above & beyond the postage. If a seller says "$15 S & H", well, be prepared. If they said "$15 shipping", then it better be sent in 2 day UPS or something or at least have about $15 on the postage. Anything over the postage better be refunded. Next time you see a gadget on a TV commercial for only "$19.95 plus $6.96 S & H", order it & I think you'll find when it arrives, it was shipped for $3 - $4. The rest was "handling".

Reply to
famvburg

It most certainly does matter when the buyer is paying for said packaging. If a buyer is charged, for example, $10 ,with $6 postage plus $3 packaging and with $1 handling, then they expect the amount paid for packaging ($3) to actual be used, not just a plain brown wrap with some cellotape that cost

50cents.

I go and buy it from a shop - saves me money. :-)

Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

Maybe you should try and follow this branch of the thread and understand we are talking about MLDHOC posting an Ebayer's email address, not about shipping costs.

Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

i think "gavin friday" thought we were too dumb to recognize the ripped nym.

I'll keep this one short. I dinally heard back from the seller, they admit and revel in taking advantage of their customers. I posted an update above.

Mike please remove "diespam" to reply

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, perhaps you've misunderstood the situation.

Reply to
MLDHOC

When I sell stuff I use the following things

Very small items normally 30p to 70p I charge £1.50

Recorded is about 60p, then there is tape, time, petrol to P/O, extra packing etc

If they pay the PAYPAL charge go first recorded, otherwise 2nd class.

Fastfood toys are now £1.50 and above rules apply

Usually I aim to use first class Royal Mail, but PAYPAL does cost me

I am selling NOT to make a loss

Most annoying are US winners who pay UK postage by PAYPAL and don't add on the 5% and don't pay extra for US postage.

I now give them a couple of days to cough up or I cancel their bid and return the money. I now state this on all auctions postage UK only, if they are from abroad wait for invoice or get negative feedback.

Reply to
Martin Imber

People forget packing materials cost, postage estimates can be wrong, so 20% on top of estimated first class is fine, I usually add in enough to cover recorded as well.

Reply to
Martin Imber

^Dick^ alert - I have combined when I have had same winners

I buy kits and sell old junk from the garage, old toys, duplicate books, poor CDs LPs and DVDs

Reply to
Martin Imber