ebay strangeness

My son won something on ebay using my identity (with my approval), I sorted out the payment myself using paypal and the 'proper channels' etc. The item hasn't shown up, should have been here by last Friday at the latest. The vendor, with a 100% feedback positive rating going back years, hasn't replied to emails since it became 'late'. It is, of course, possible that he's away this week. Now I've had a message from another ebay member to say that he has had the item delivered to him, he's had no dealings with my vendor, and something he has won from another vendor hasn't shown up. He's happy to post it on if I send him the postage (not cheap), assuming that he's genuine that's fair enough though in the overall scheme I don't see why I or my son should have to pay the postage twice. Has anyone else come across this? It's a bit worrying if the ebay system has transposed addresses in this way. What other information could get transposed? I'm not sure how to approach ebay over this without firmer evidence of what has really happened. I was a bit surprised the other day to get an email from another ebay vendor wanting to confirm my postal address before despatching, but in the light of this that's perhaps a wise thing to do.

Cheers Tim. Dutton Dry-Dock Traditional & Modern canal craft repairs Vintage diesel engine service

Reply to
Tim Leech

It's possible that the seller has two accounts ( as I do ) and simply got confused. Ask the recipient if his seller has the same contact details as yours. I assume they contacted you through an invoice / delivery note inside the parcel.

Pull your seller's contact details and give them a ring. If you get no where, send an "item not delivered notice" ( in ebay somewhere ) and see if that wakes them up.

Reply to
Barry Ruck

Tim

Your ebay experience sounds rather unusual to me and I am unable to explain it.

My suggestion would be that you post the same message on the 'uk.people.consumers.ebay' newsgroup where there are an assortment of ebay afficionados who will most probably throw some light on it.

Ian Phillips

Reply to
Ian Phillips

Tim,

All it needs is a lapse of concentration!

As a seller I have succeeded in sending the wrong things to the wrong people (I've also had it happen to me).

In all cases after a few e-mails it was all sorted out very amicably.

Its called "human error" I think :-)

Cheers

Peter

Tim Leech wrote:

Reply to
Peter Sheppard

Not as simple as that (probably not, anyway), the chap who received it has had no dealings with the vendor, as far as he is aware, so where did his address get into the frame?

One outside chance is that it's been sent to the wrong return address, instead of to my address. The vendor is in Rowley Regis, the third party in Bognor Regis. They probably haven't heard of Rowley Regis on the other side of Watford!

Anyway, a couple of minutes ago I had a phone call from the vendor who happens to be in Cyprus for a couple of weeks!

We've agreed that I'll sub the third party for posting it on to me, & he'll reimburse me & try to sort out what went wrong when he's back in the country.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

I've twice had this happen to me, both times it was simply a confused seller. We just got it all sorted out, end of story. "Blaming the computer" is a traditional excuse for all situations.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Interestingly I have just received an eBay question for an item that I am not selling (if you see what I mean).

So there could be a wrinkle in the great eBay database.....

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
Peter Sheppard

To answer my own post (which I know is bad form!)

This one is a scam as it leads you to an eBay registration page, which looks good until you spot the heading of the IP address!

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
Peter Sheppard

The parcel has finally arrived today (Son is happy now, he has an amp for his guitar ). It seems that the most likely explanation is that a label from something else, probably the third party's missing baby clothes, somehow got transferred from one parcel to the other in the post (maybe fell off one & someone stuck it onto the nearest parcel they could see). It was only when preparing to take our parcel to the PO that the third party found a label on the bottom of it, addressed to me. They then after long negotiations with Royal Mail persuaded them to collect our parcel & redeliver it FOC.

I'd sent the 3rd party funds via paypal to post it on, but got an email *apparently* from Paypal to say these funds were 'unclaimed'.

There were aspects of this email which didn't ring true (eg one of the subsidiary links within it led to a Korean site, nothing to do with Paypal) so I sent a copy to their 'spoof' address asking whether it was genuine. That was 2 days ago, & I've had no reply, not even an automatic acknowledgement. Usually forwarding a blatant spoof or phishing email to them brings an automatic reply within minutes, telling you how hard they're working to combat this sort of thing etc etc. The lack of response here suggests to me they don't really give a t*ss.

Cheers Tim Dutton Dry-Dock Traditional & Modern canal craft repairs Vintage diesel engine service

Reply to
Tim Leech

Tim both eBay and PayPal used to respond in seconds to emails directed to their 'spoof' addresses; last reply I had from either was in the last week in July and I send an average of 3 or 4 messages a week to these addresses. I guess they're either overloaded or no longer care. Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

It seems to me that they send automated responses, saying how seriously they take it, how much they care etc, to emails which are recognised by their software as spoofs. In this case I honestly wasn't sure about it, & I asked them the question "is it genuine?". Presumably their software didn't see it as a 'spoof', so the response was a deafening silence.

[...]

0ne4all

Many of you may have seen my "wanted" ad on e-Bay for a Stuart Turner flat twin. I've just had a snitty e-mail from them saying it has been removed & not to do it again or I might get removed.

I can't for the life of me see why they care, they still get their fee at the end of the auction, don't they?

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Can't see it now. You didn't sneak in a contact address in the text did you? That would annoy them.

--=20 cerberus

Reply to
do.not.waste.your.time.emailin

Nope, just the usual as though it were for sale but clearly marked "WANTED" at the beginning. I've done it several times before without difficulty.

I knew about the want it now section, thanks Peter, but it isn't very graphic & I bet not well visited, which is why I put the ad where I did. ;o))

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

cerberus wrote: Can't see it now. You didn't sneak in a contact address in the text did you? That would annoy them.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

In article , Kim Siddorn writes

Imagine how annoying it would be if you were wanting to buy a "Left Handed Thrunge Washer". You set up an Ebay search, and find 437 listings! Joy!

Then you realise they're all "Wanted" ads...

That's why they created the "Wanted" feature.

Reply to
Nigel Eaton