Re: Ebay feedback %

Some here seem to think that a 95+ percentage makes the person a "good"

> seller. What you need to do is READ the feedback left for the seller.
95% is not very good at all. I'd say that reliable sellers will have around 99%, the 1% being the crack pot factor.
Reply to
Barney Rubble

I'd say more than 1 out of 100 is a crack pot!!

Reply to
Kevin Miller

I guess I must be a crackpot then, with a 98.8% rating on 249 entries.

The negatives?

  1. A buyer who claimed they sent a check, and a month later when I hadn't shipped (because NO check arrived) threatened legal action. Never got a check, never had no lawyer or cop or process server come banging on the door. The buyer said "seller didn't ship because they didn't get the price they really wanted." I relisted the item a month later at a lower price than I originally listed it at, and it got only one bid this time which I was happy to part with the item for (basically just wanted to get rid of it). That same buyer pulled the same thing on two or three other sellers according to feedbacks they left for them. Retaliatory feedback because I posted a bad to them for no payment after a month.

  1. Two from the same person who claimed (as a buyer) payment wasn't sent to me for two different items because he "was in the hospital for

28 days". Yet he was bidding on stuff almost every day during that time. Guess he didn't realize anyone can track whatever anyone is selling AND bidding on. Both were retaliatory feedback entries after I posted negatives over a month after the end of the auction.

  1. The fourth negative came from a jerk in Georgia who had Paypal Instant Payment logos on his auction page -- once the auction was over, I paid immediately as I usually do. And then he claimed he never, ever had a Paypal account. And it took me two months to get a refund out of Paypal. And then I found the item at half the price anyway.....this seller I think is just a nut case. Haven't seen him on EBay since, either....

So...does that stuff make ME a crackpot because I don't have a 99% or higher rating?

Basing a person's credibility as a seller or buyer on a set percentage rating isn't always a foolproof method. Read through the person's feedback, check the OTHER person's situations too....many times one can see right through the bullshit. Other times it's not so easy.

Reply to
Steve Hoskins

In agreement there. I never use EBay, but have several friends who are heavy EBay sellers, some of the nuts they run into, it is amazing the lack of intelligence displayed, sort of like our own bitter Mr. "Forgot My Name".

Reply to
wannand

I think you are taking him entirely too literally. One always needs to allow for standard statistical variation. Plus, if I interpreted it correctly, he was saying that the 1% of people who post negative entries on a good dealer are the crackpots.

Reply to
SleuthRaptorman

5% negative feedback is terrible. I agree with the 1% crackpot theory. I had a guy not even pay and leave me negative feedback. My only one after 400 plus sales. Keep in mind that mnay people that have been burned do NOT leave any feedback. Couple of reasons for that. Some sellers REFUSE to sell to anyone having left negative feed back anywhere AND sometimes the time limit for leaving feedback runs out before the buyer realizes he is screwed. I made a purchase from a BAD seller and even paid the Ebay fees for their people to help. By the time I got a partial credit, the time had expired and I couldn't leave feedback.
Reply to
Doug

Yes, but the original poster said the guy in question had a 98.5% rating, so that would be 1.5% negative.

Reply to
wannand

Correct

Reply to