Rash of new viruses

Busy day today, there seems to be more viruses getting in these days. I keep telling people to upgrade their AntiVirus definitions regularily.

So far this week I have had to recover 5 systems, not one was protected by Norton. One had McAfee and the other four had AVP, it is free and worth every penny. Man is AVP software.

Been too busy for the layout and this weekend is the Milton Show, so nothing will be done on my layout until Monday night.

Reply to
<Will

AVP is useless software.

Reply to
<Will

Since *I* only have to deal with Linux machines, I have not had to deal with *any* viruses... Been working on a Linux port of the AMRC system recently announced here.

Reply to
Robert Heller

Robert, I would rather run a Linux box myself, but seeing as how I have to keep up on how to use/service windows for my company, I use WindowsXP. However, I have the automatic Windows updates set to run everyday and Norton set to update everyday, therefore I have not been down in over a year and a half. The last time I went down had nothing to do with windows or Viruses, I was beta testing a new video capture card and new drivers. The drivers over wrote the video frivers by mistake and I could not see the screen to change drivers, so I had to reinstall the graphic drivers, but they installed wrong and totally screwed up Windows. It became easier to format and reinstall, then send a bad report to the beta test team, seems they went 25 negative for 25 beta testers. Their second attempt at drivers worked.

Reply to
<Will

Virus? What's a virus? Been online for over 20 years and never even seen one.

... of course, when I drive the Information Superhighway, I drive a Mac...

-- Joe Ellis ? CEO Bethlehem-Ares Railroad - A 1:160 Corp. ___a________n_mmm___mmm_mmm_mmm___mmm_mmm_mmm___mmm_n______ ___|8 8B| ___ /::::: / /::::X/ /:::::/ /:::::/|| ||__BARR| | | /::::::/ /:::::X /:::::/ /:::::/ ||

---------------------------------------------------------------- [(=)=(=)=(=)=(=)] |_________________________| [(=)=(=)=(=)=(=)] =============Serving America's Heartland Since 1825=============

Joe Ellis

Please do not post binaries (aka pictures) to rec.models.railroad. This is a text-only group. Even tho' it is a very small binary, it is still against the rules.

Thank you.

Paul A. Cutler III Deputy Sheriff

************** Weather Or No Go New Haven ************** P.S. BTW, what is the point of your post? R.M.R is hardly a blog...
Reply to
Pac Man

true, no hacker would waste his time developing a virus that only effects less than 3% of the computer users. They want to piss off the majority of people.

Reply to
<Will

Sorry, Pacman, that one slipped through, I cut and pasted my reply from a Forum response I gave. I did not realize it converted my text smiley to a graphic until I saw the post back here.

(Note: see Fisty, that is how grown up respond.)

Reply to
<Will

Thank you, Will. "Stuff Happens" after all, and anti-binary patrol is pretty much the only thing I concern myself with these days on the RMR ranch. :-) That doesn't stop me wishing that there was more signal than noise on this group, but what can one do?

Paul A. Cutler III Deputy Sheriff - Binary Division

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

Paul, I thought it's been fairly civil lately on RMR except for several threads over the past week or so and the worst flaming is fairly limited to those. It seems that the posts were fewer but mostly about model railroads and trains. I was hoping that the group would grow again and some of the guys who were regulars might come back. I guess that's just wishful thinking. Of course RMR has always been an edgy place with flaming and troll invasions. I don't think new people stay very long as we often either don't really answer their questions, slam them immediately or their thread gets turned into a flaming match. I miss the days when there were so many people here that you could ask some oddball esoteric question, check back in 30 minutes and have an answer ...............or at least an insult or wise crack. Do you remember maybe four five years ago when new posters would keep popping in with the with the "neat and very interesting" Standard Gauge/ Roman Chariot story. After a while some of those guys really got nailed. Then there was Sheriff John leading the charge in the Spam and Troll Wars, The eHobby debates, the truly bazaar Custom Painter outbreak and when the mere mention of the word Bachmann would set the news group on fire. Things were lively, and always interesting. Now a days it seems like the most frequent and unimaginative way to troll the group into a flame war is to post something political. We used to be too busy fighting about important train related stuff to bother with politics. Bruce

"Pac Man" wrote in message news:CaWpc.3241$H snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Amazing how no-one posting that furphy ever thought to do even the most basic research into rail gauges beforehand.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Amazing how no-one posting that furphy ever thought to do even the most basic research into rail gauges beforehand. The existence of "standard" gauges other than 4'8.5"/1435mm might have given them pause for thought.

Reply to
Mark Newton

I just skimmed through the titles of about 400 threads on this group, and my impression is that the vast majority of them are on model railroad related topics. On the other hand, the off topic threads seem to have the mosts posts in them. Legitimate model RR questions do seem to be answered fairly quickly. If the thread persists after the first few responses it's likely to wander all over the place. Take a look back at Slip Switch Track.

On the off topic threads an awful lot of the posts are complaints that the topic is not MRR related. Does that strike anyone else as counterproductive and contardictory? If a thread is off topic, and you're reading it, you're clearly interested enough in it to read it, why complain that it's off topic and not interesting? If it doesn't interest you, don't read it, don't complain that it doesn't interest you.

The flaming on this newsgroup is really quite pathetic. It's like a bunch of doofuses flailing away at each other with foam baseball bats. "You're an idiot." "No, you're the idiot." "You're a bigger idiot." "No I'm not, you're a bigger idiot."

C'mon, guys, where's the subtlety? Where's the finesse? If you're going to flame somebody, at least be amusing and creative about it. If you're good at it you can insult someone so that they don't notice they're being insulted.

If you're going to insist on flaming people, at least learn how to do it. Try this for starters:

will also lead you here:
you're new here, read that too, maybe first.

Reply to
<wkaiser

That sounds like rmr - but what are doofuses?

Very true, but if they it. Try this for starters: >

Good on yer! Thanks for posting the link.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Well Bruce, right now, the only two worth flaming are Mork Newtron and Fisty McPickle. At first they were being subtly flamed, but everything was going over their heads. Once they found out they were being flamed, they dropped their language to the gutter and did not know how to keep up to the flamers. End result was that their posts were so bad that I put them both in the "Bozo Bin".

Since doing that, RMR has been a much better place to visit. Plus the average IQ of the posts went up by 20 points.

Reply to
<Will

Mork, you don't know what a doofuse is? Gosh, what a dumbass sock puppet. Well, you can take it to the bank, you are one Marty Hall

Reply to
Marty Hall

```````` Hopefully peer pressure would eventually force these people who don't seem to "get it" to stay on the topic for this group. That would be an improvement, in my opinion, and in the opinion of others, as well apparently, otherwise they wouldn't be posting their objections to the off topic stuff. So to answer your question, that's why there are the "complaints", as you call them.

OTOH, maybe the solution is to ignore them and hopefully they would wise up or just go away.

In either case I personally would consider it "productive" if the desired result was achieved. Not much else can be done as far as I can see without a moderator, though.

Paul - "The CB&Q Guy" (Modeling 1969 In HO.)

Reply to
Paul K - The CB&Q Guy

OK, let me give it a shot: are you related to Kaiser Wilhelm? :)

Reply to
Corelane

They're the sorts of people who would win the Darwin Award if they weren't too inept to do so.

In the usual slugfest everyone seems to have a need to make the last comment. If one doesn't notice he's been insulted, he's less likely to respond, so the whole thing might end sooner. Besides, it's much more amusing to the innocent bystanders who are watching and keeping score.

Reply to
<wkaiser

I rather doubt it, since my father, also William, was a US Army veteran of WWI. I understand he was viewed with some suspicion at the time, though.

In case you wonder, I don't know any Frazers.

Reply to
<wkaiser