portable gantries; is this a good deal?

Through tomorrow, harbor freight is offering 20% off any one item. Previously, they had only a heavier duty gantry that wasn't so very portable, and, a wimpy one that was only rated for 600#-- something my wesco handtruck can handle. But recently they came up with this model, only 265lbs, rated for a ton which is what I need-- perfect, and at $320 after coupon? Do you think the safety factor will let it handle 1-1/4 tons, and, that I could throw it in the back of a truck on top/ to the side of some stone?

There are heavier duty, more collapsible models out there. This recently ended on ebay, maybe I should wait for another to come around:

Bernard Arnest

I looked at the user manual to get a better look at the construction

't say that I would want to trust it to anywhere near it's load capacity, let alone overload it or roll it around with a full load.

Your applicati> Through tomorrow, harbor freight is offering 20% off any one item.

RoyJ

You must have a fancier pickup than mine. My 3/4 ton, 1 1/4ton load or more, throw in another 265#. It might, but I think the headlights would be shining in the tree. I hurt an old truck back when with a load of sand. Never again.

Reply to
DanG

It should handle it. I bought one of their 1 ton hoists and lifted 3,000 pounds with it. On my home built gantry type crane. If you are off in the dirt remove the wheels and lift your load and drive the pickup under the load and then set the load in the pickup.

It might be a good idea to place large boards under the corners if the dirt is soft. I picked up a 20" Cincinnati shaper that was on a pallet in the dirt this way.

Richard W.

Reply to
Richard W.