Do you gous think this is worth $75.00

I am the highest bidder so far. I am having 2nd thoughts and dont know how to get out of it without messing up my rating. is worth $75 +shiping and on top of that he or she only wants a check or money order.any input would be great. TIA

Reply to
BluCalash

Would be nice to know what you're talking about.

Reply to
Lane

the link didnt go through

Reply to
BluCalash

Well, "is it worth it" is of course a subjective question ... but I hate to say that at least if it were me, this would not be worth $75. You can get similar units for about the same money from Harbor Freight; for example,

The "full box" of 6013 and 6011 add some value, depending on how large the box is -- a 5 lb. box of either would cost around $8-$10 at Lowe's or Home Depot. On the other hand, I would strongly suspect that the

6011 will not work with this unit -- most of these little 110 volt buzz boxes do not have a high enough OCV (Open Circuit Voltage) to run 6011 (or 7018, for that matter) -- I found this out the hard way! With the exception of some of the higher-end inverter machines, you're going to be limited to 6013 or 7014 rods on a 110v welder.

The good news is that you CAN do some welding with a little buzz box; I've made several projects with a 110 volt buzz box that turned out not too badly ... but the bad news is that you will be dealing with a lot of limitations:

Capacity: Even though these units may claim to go up to 100 amps or so, they don't really have the oomph to do anything much beyond 1/8" steel. I run a lot of rod at 85-100 amps on my big, 220 volt welder, and can weld 1/4" or thicker with no problem. But when I had a Century

110 volt buzz box, I could only rarely weld 1/4" without lots of gloppiness -- and sometimes even 1/8" or less was pretty gloppy! Part of the gloppiness was undoubtedly the result of fit-up and technique issues; 6013 and 7014 can run beautiful beads, but if there is any problem with fit-up, or if you are not just right on the money with technique, you'll get all kinds of slag inclusions. I sure find it a lot easier with my big welder ... That said, there are a lot of projects that don't require anything heavier than 1/8" steel ...

Rod Selection: I already mentioned that you will almost certainly be limited to 6013 and maybe 7014 for rods. For all practical purposes, you will be limited to 3/32" rods, and may have to use 1/16" rods. In my limited experience, 1/16" rods are a pain to use, harder to find, and much more expensive. If you can run 3/32" 6013 rod, you can do a lot of useful welding, but as noted above, you may run into problems if your fitup isn't precise and your steel isn't pretty clean. Being able to run 6011 (or 6010 if you have DC) makes a huge difference when you have any sort of fitup problems or rusty, dirty, or even painted steel.

Duty Cycle: I don't know if the Clarke unit on ebay has as low a duty cycle as the HF unit listed above, but if so, that is downright abysmal -- you'll be spending most of your time waiting for it to cool off. (The HF unit is rated at only 6% duty cycle at 95 amps -- that means you can weld about 35 seconds out of every 10 minutes!) The Century buzz box that I had was rated at 20% duty cycle at 100 amps; that was limiting, but not too bad for a small project. I just had to pay attention to how long I'd been welding, and take lots of breaks :)

Sorry to be the bearer of discouraging news ... particularly since it may be too late! If you wind up buying it, give it a try and see what you can do with it; maybe it will turn out to be better than the HF units or the Century that I had. And if not, there's always ebay ... !

sorry the link didnt go through

Reply to
Andy Wakefield

I personally wouldn't buy it because I think it would be underpowered, and wouldn't do what you want. Buy a Lincoln AC/DC tombstone or a Miller Thunderbolt, and get a real welder. Pay what it costs, and shop for a used one.

Go to ebay and read how to retract a bid. You can say you entered the wrong amount, and it won't hurt your rating. What will hurt is getting a welding machine that won't do what you want it to do.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB