Getting a 2 year degree worth it?

Hi, Im currently trying desperately to find employment. Ive been trying to do an electrician apprenticeship but am having no luck. I dont know if the economy sucks or what. My friend in his second year as an apprentice just got laid off. I filled out an application with the brotherhoood of electrical workers union but they told me around 20 of there apprentices in my area are not working right now so I dont have my hopes up with that. Im a college student I currently have about 76 credit hours towards a business degree but am really having second thoughts about going into a business profession. The office type work really doesnt appeal to me and I need money now which is why I have looked into apprenticeships. Right now Im thinking of possibly getting a two year degree from a nearby community college in Electrical Technology, I only need 12 classes to get the degree. But I am worried that this degree will do little for me and it will be a waste. Im also thinking of changing my business major to something else, I would already have enough for a business minor with a different major but no technical majors it the university i go to sound that great. Anybody have any suggestions on the 2 year degree or an apprenticeship. Help!

Reply to
theglovegp

On 18 Aug 2005 00:46:59 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com Gave us:

Uhhh... remedial grammar and composition?

Perhaps they noticed... as well. :-]

Electronics courses (basic) will tell you whether or not you have the stuff to handle secondary school courses in the realm. It will also give you a good handle on your level of desire. It seems you aren't sure, and it would be bad to get into something whole hog, and subsequently find out you do not enjoy the coursework or science. You know... like you've already done in the business direction. You must have seen the White Castle movie... :-]

Anyway... most that get into electronics coursework in secondary school levels have already attained quite a lot in the subject and know what it is they want. To be choosing it this late in life could be a caution indicator as it is quite a rigorous ordeal.

As to just doing the wireman thing alone, When you do find coursework offered somewhere, I think you still have to study quite a bit of electronics anyway, so it might be harder than you think as well. Either way, having a two year degree in electronics is a plus, particularly if you do grasp it well. You'll be a step above a tech with a vocational certificate. Every little bit helps.

As far as the original suggestion of taking a very basic course or reading up on basic electronics, that is the best way for you to find out if you really do want to go this route.

Reply to
TokaMundo

First, if you look just to the left of the "Enter" key on your keyboard, you will find the apostrophe key. It looks like ' . I am very concerned that you have not learned the proper usage of this key during your time at college. I know this is usenet and some typos, spelling problems, and puncuation errors are to be expected. However, you should at least make an effort at good, clear communication.

As for your professional question, you have to decide what it is you want to do. If you want to learn the "mechanics" of electricity (hanging conduit and pulling wire), then you should try to become an electrician. If you wnat to know how electricity works and still do hands on work, then the Electrical Technology degree is what you want.

From reading your post, you don't seem to have any idea what field you want to enter. I can only assume you are spending someone elses money for all of this "education". I spent my own money and decided very early exactly what I wanted to do.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

I could not agree more with your observation with regard to his not having decided what he would like to do. When I am asked, I tell the person to follow what they like to do and they will probably excel at it. In almost every endeavor, the difference between one who excels at their trade and the average worker is very slight. (Perhaps only 10 percent?) The difference in the rewards however, are great. There is nothing sadder than to hear a person explain how they worked at a job for decades and hated every minute of it. A comment like this also explains why they never achieved a level of success at that job as well.

Ken

Reply to
Ken

[...]

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 12:57:58 GMT, Ken Gave us:

Can we all agree that posting the same damned message 5 times shows that you need to bone up on the operation of your news client?

snip

Reply to
TokaMundo

posted it at least 8 times not 5. The navy may expect you to know how to count, they have trained some of the best electricians I have worked with.

Reply to
B J Conner

Yes, we CAN agree that the message was posted too many times. I was having problems with my mail server and it kept saying that the message had NOT been sent. I sent it until I saw one copy appear, and the other copies came at some time later. I have deleted the extra messages. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ken

Reply to
Ken

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:20:53 GMT TokaMundo wrote: | On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 12:57:58 GMT, Ken Gave us: |> I could not agree more with your observation... | | Can we all agree that posting the same damned message 5 times shows | that you need to bone up on the operation of your news client?

I will agree that posting the same message more than once is a bad thing, but I cannot agree that this is what necessarily happened in this case.

I see that there are 8 posts submitted to bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net and then 1 post submitted to bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net. It is possible for submissions to be accepted for delivery, and the client never the final good acknowledgement, lose the connection (often due to issues with a given network stack), and try again. Since the Message-ID was assigned in the news server, these would not be recognized as the same message. While I cannot say that Ken didn't just sit there and click "post/submit" 9 times, I can certainly believe that he did so only once and one of the news servers was having network connectivity issues (such as running out of memory when trying to complete the transaction). And the fact that he was changing his connection IP address towards the end does suggest there were some kind of network issues, or steps being taken to clear up network hang conditions.

The headers that varied between each message are:

news3.newsguy.com!lacy.pathlink.com!lex!extra.newsguy.com!lotsanews.com!news.glorb.com!wn14feed!worldnet.att.net!bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail

Aug 2005 12:36:41 GMT)

news3.newsguy.com!lacy.pathlink.com!lex!extra.newsguy.com!lotsanews.com!wn12feed!worldnet.att.net!bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail

Aug 2005 12:39:35 GMT)

news3.newsguy.com!lacy.pathlink.com!lex!extra.newsguy.com!lotsanews.com!wn14feed!worldnet.att.net!bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail

Aug 2005 12:40:43 GMT)

news3.newsguy.com!lacy.pathlink.com!lex!extra.newsguy.com!lotsanews.com!news.glorb.com!wn14feed!worldnet.att.net!bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail

Aug 2005 12:41:51 GMT)

news3.newsguy.com!lacy.pathlink.com!lex!extra.newsguy.com!lotsanews.com!wn13feed!worldnet.att.net!bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail

Aug 2005 12:49:06 GMT)

news3.newsguy.com!lacy.pathlink.com!lex!extra.newsguy.com!lotsanews.com!news.maxwell.syr.edu!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!wn13feed!worldnet.att.net!bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail

Aug 2005 12:50:03 GMT)

news3.newsguy.com!lacy.pathlink.com!lex!extra.newsguy.com!lotsanews.com!news.maxwell.syr.edu!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!wn13feed!worldnet.att.net!bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail

Aug 2005 12:51:37 GMT)

news3.newsguy.com!lacy.pathlink.com!lex!extra.newsguy.com!lotsanews.com!news.maxwell.syr.edu!wn13feed!worldnet.att.net!bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail

Aug 2005 12:54:38 GMT)

news3.newsguy.com!lacy.pathlink.com!lex!extra.newsguy.com!lotsanews.com!news.glorb.com!wn14feed!worldnet.att.net!bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail

Aug 2005 12:57:58 GMT)

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:43:58 GMT, "B J Conner" Gave us:

You are also supposed to know how to utilize a forum observing accepted protocols. Don't top post retard! You need to bone up on Usenet!

I read 5 and made my post before the others showed up, asshole.

Reply to
TokaMundo

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:53:02 GMT, Ken Gave us:

For one thing, it is NOT an e-mail. Number two would be that using a better NEWS client might help.

Reply to
TokaMundo

how

Reply to
B J Conner

You really are having a bad day, aren't you? I am happy to hear that you NEVER have any problems with your ISP and everything goes perfectly for you. I would hate to see how you would react if it didn't.

Ken

Reply to
Ken