Is the NMRA worth joining?

A friend wants me to join. I am not sure if it is worth the price? What do I get from it that a non member does not?

You can get a 6 month trial membership for 9.95.
Go to www.nmra.org and look at the site.

--

Frank Rosenbaum life member NMRA
Please note my new email address: farosenbaum at comcast dot net.

He doesn't use that sig line in his post. -- Ray

Well, either you or I are wrong... a simple search at Google which show how many times he's used that sig line: http://tinyurl.com/2hdmw2 I count 500+ times.
On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 16:42:49 -0500, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Irrelevant, Mark. He didn't use it in that post. That's what I wrote and that's what I meant. If you are so bent on anyone but you being "wrong" then do continue this until you are satisfied. -- Ray
Anyone around RMR knows Mark for what he is. He snipes little wise ass remarks and questions all the time in a manner that in real life would cause you to want smack him. Here he went to the trouble of counting 500 posts so he could prove you were 'wrong' using some very odd reading of what you wrote. This makes up for shortcomings in his real life which I am sure is worthless or pathetic. Some call what he does trolling. He doesn't. Either way he was looking for a response and a 'me too'.

Irreverent my ass! When I wrote "uses the signature line DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS," I meant it. Even you saw the 500 instances where he used it.
And NO, you did not write "in that post," you should at least know what you wrote before make incorrect statements to f ollow up on incorrect statements.

That was a nice slip of the fingers! "Irrelevant ..."
On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 20:59:46 -0500, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Irrelevant. And you remain yet again so.
How ironic that you made your entire premise irrelevant. -- Ray

Can you explain that?

Can you explain how that happened?
On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 01:35:59 -0500, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Because he didn't use the sig line you complained about in his post. You can argue the point until you're purple, mate, but you simply erred. No big deal. Happens to everyone. Looks to me like you were harboring some grudge against him and when you saw his post, you reacted. He was innocent of the charge you made. This time.
Thus, you made your entire premise irrelevant. -- Ray
On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 20:41:34 -0500, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Irrelevant yet again. Next time, cite one of the posts where he does that instead of one where he doesn't. You made yourself and your own post irrelevant, mate. -- Ray
You are correct *as you stated*, what you managed to leave out is the fact that those posts are from December 2000 through October 2001.

Yes, Mark, I probably have used it some years ago. However, I did not use it in this series of posts. If I feel that there is a troll post, I simply do not respond to it and put the poster in my kill filter. The sig that you so conveniently cut is below, please tell me exactly which word is the troll.
--

Frank Rosenbaum
Please note my new email address: farosenbaum at comcast dot net.

Ahhh... I notice you haven't posted (until this recent thread) for about three weeks, which probably explains what's going on here. Look at previous posts from the person who originated this whole thread and you'll soon see that he/she should be in your kill filter.
Mark Mathu wrote:

Mark, if you did as Frank does instead of quarrelling we would have a lot less junk in this group.
--
Venlig hilsen
Erik Olsen
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Oh boy, is that a can of worms!
I joined several years ago and got appointed as membership chairman of my region. One of my duties was calling ex-members to see why they had quit. Almost without exception, the answer was that it cost too much for what they got.
That prompted me to look into the costs. Turned out the greatest part of the national budget (not counting the magazine which is a separate cost item) went to administration, including an imposing headquarters building, and to a library which very few of the members (1 in 100 or so) ever used.
Very little of the dues went to the standards setting or contests activities and none whatsoever to the various conventions. In fact, the national convention is a money maker. So are the local and regional conventions but that's where they get most of their money - they get little or no financial support from national.
After a couple of years trying to change the situation, I gave up and resigned.
Now, after all that negative comment, I'll say that I really enjoyed the local and regional activities and the great majority of the members were nice folks. At one time in the distant past, you could join a region without having to join the national. If that ever becomes true again (hah!) I'd join my region in a flash.
If you can ignore where your dues money is going the activities at the local and regional groups may well be worth joining.
I especially enjoyed the regional conventions with their workshops and layout tours. Special kudos to the ones put on by Canadian members, as they made a real attempt to keep the costs down. The ones in the US tended to be at expensive hotels :-).
It'd be great if we could have an organization with those conventions without the budget and politics of the NMRA as it stands.
Now I'll don my flameproof suit and wait for all the responses from "life members", an option no longer available to new members.
--
It's turtles, all the way down