Is the NMRA worth joining?

Larry Blanchard wrote:

[snip contents of said can]

Folks:
Just a word of neighborly caution...before we go up in flames one way or another, let's also remember that this thread was started with the specific hope that we'd do just that.
Let's also remember that, whatever we think of NMRA standards, history has shown us that even poor or fair standards are superior to a complete lack thereof...5280 feet may be a clunky quantity, but imagine if the best we had to say was "about that far"...
I'm not a member of the NMRA but I do own the gauge...I just wish I could find it...
Cordially yours: Gerard P. President, a box of track and some L-girders.
snipped-for-privacy@gannon.edu wrote:

I don't know if that was Mark's intention or not, but I know it wasn't mine. I'd love to see them get their budget priorities right - when/if they do I'll be the first in line to rejoin.
And yes, they've done a great deal of work in the standards area which benefits all model railroaders. But it was done by dedicated volunteers (thank you all) with little or no financial support from members dues.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

I am a Life member but had the opposite experience...I wanted to join a local NMRA club but even as an NMRA life member I was not allowed unless I also joined the ME Region. I refused as, IMO, the NMRA regions are an unnecessary echelon in the organizational structure.
That, of course, has been changed as the re-organized NMRA now is structured so that everyone is a member of one's region although w/o paying dues one will not receive the region newsletters etc.
On Mar 15, 4:39�pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I am a member for the Insurance program. Other than that I don't get much out of it since I don't go to any of the conventions or regional meets.
--

Wikipedia is to knowledge what Cheese Wiz is to fine dining.