good deal or not?

I called a local welding supply store (i get all my consumables from them) and they have a used Lincoln squarewave 175 with foot pedal, two torches, and the running gear. All I need is a bottle of argon. $1100. total, with tax. I'm not sure if it has the stick accessories, (most likely) How long did Lincoln make the 175? Does this sound like a good deal, or should I spend a couple bucks more for new equipment? Thanks in advance. walt

Reply to
Walt

I shopped and shopped and hammered and hammered locally for the best deal on a 175. The best I got was $1350, and that was from a factory rep at the Delco National Drags where they had a special going. $1100 is a pretty good price, and I understand that the 175 is a pretty good machine although it does not have some features the 185 (its successor) has. Then there is the Thermal Arc 185, which has even more features, but then again $700 more. Your choice of machine would depend on your intended use. I tend to overbuy, or buy for the future. I think the 175 will be available for some pretty good prices as they are selling them off and replacing them with the

185.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

The Lincoln 175 isn't a bad machine. Actually has a better DC arc than most. Pretty rugged as well. The only thing I don't like is the "auto-balance", which changes the the AC balance control in relation to the amperage being used.

With two torches, this seems to be a good deal.

A new Miller or Hobart is more$.

Reply to
Brad King