Get rid of the seams in pipe

I have a project where I'm making dog agility weave poles using 3/4 steel pipe. The pipe is welded to strip steel and has inserts that fit inside to a fairly close tolerance.

My problem is the ridges (seams?) inside the pipe. It is about a 1/16th higher than the rest of the i.d. surface. I WANT IT GONE!

I have tried dremel, a "cone" grinder in a drill, but really need to find a good rotary grinder, or honing tool of some sort. That or a new technique.

Input will be appreciated!

Reply to
Jeff Klein

Toss what you have and buy DOM.

Les

Reply to
PIW

Starting with seamless tubing would do it.

If it's just the first inch or so inside the tube you need to clean up, a drum sander of the appropriate size (biggest that will fit in the pipe) would work, though it's annoying and still costs considerable time. More expensive material that saves time might make you more profit...

A lathe with a backbore large enough to take the pipe and a collet to chuck the pipe would do a fine job, but the cost would pay for a lot of seamless tubing, and it still takes time, although probably less time...

Reply to
Ecnerwal

How about drilling out the end of the pipe, and then sizing the inserts to the drilled size?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman
3/4 drill bits for steel is bigger than my little press has available..

Reply to
Jeff Klein

If you just have to remove a short bit of it, a coarse flap wheel, suitably sized and used with a die grinder does a pretty quick job.

Reply to
Peter Snell

picked up a little trick ... if you're trying to do what i think you're doing (telescoping two tubes) .. works pretty slick.

instead of removing the seam inside the outer tube, cut/grind/mill a "keyway" on the inside tube. hopefully your tube's wall thickness is more than 1/16.

basically you'll have an long grind on the outside of the smaller tube.. to remove the interference caused by the seam on the big tube... without having to ream the big tube.

hope that was clear,

-tony

Reply to
tony