Good deal or bad?

Just bought something, wanted some reality check.

- Chemetron 500 amp 3 phase CC stick welder

- with 50 ft of 00 welding cable and clamp

- On a warehouse style cart

Price was $90.

Good or bad deal?

Any idea how much it weighs, I will pick up tomorrow. The guy looks honest and I paid him today.

Ignoramus30461

Just a wild-ass guess, but I'd think the casters and cable would be worth $90.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I think that the cable with clamps and connectors is worth $130 at least, possibly more.

The warehouse cart (looks like it came off some railroad too), probably another $70.

The welder, WAG, is worth $150-200 if I want to sell in a hurry.

I really want only the cable, to extend my welding range. Might keep the cart if it does not upset my better half. I will definitely get rid of this welder.

Ignoramus30461

00 is 2.48 lbs/foot, that alone is worth the price of admission.
Reply to
Buerste

Pix here (not including warehouse cart)

I will pick up tomorrow

Ignoramus30461

Well, the total length is 100 ft -- 50 of positive and 50 of negative

Ignoramus30461

If it doesn't have any bugs, I'd go two thumbs up. Take the case off and look for internal things, mice nests, arc points, loose terminals and connectors, but you know all that. A little spray of contact cleaner here and there.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Thanks.

It looked clean to me.

Ignoramus16855

You probably won't feel as sorry for it when you see how much of the wiring harness it has eaten and pissed on.

BobH in Southern AZ

Reply to
BobH

Sometimes you can be surprised when you open a case that has been closed a while. I started up my SA200 the other day, and a mouse nest, mouse and all sprayed 360. Poor little guy. Little fingers and toes laying all over.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

That's disgusting.

Ignoramus16855

It was a Sweeney Todd moment, guaranteed, but then when I heard about him chewing up wiring, my sympathy shriveled immediately.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Iggy,

It could be easy to hate you. ;)

However your luck seems to follow a lot of hard work making luck so I'll just applaud.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Years ago, I had a Fanuc e-310 robot giving all sorts of random errors. Eventually we cracked the case and looked inside. Clean room robot working re-purposed. The port for sucking air out of the robot was open and mice took up residence and while bored chewed on cables.

Wes

Wes

Yeah. All I was trying to do, is to get a nice free welding cable to make an extension. To get that, I had to watch Craigslist, go pay, come back next day, load a 500 lb welder, unload a 500 lb welder, now I need to sell the welder, test it, load it on a buyer's truck, etc.

So it sounds like a cool great deal, but per hour it is not so great.

Ignoramus16855

around 600 lbs.

Will require 125-150 amps of 3 phase. 15 hp rotary phase converter MAY..may work.

Hell of a deal if you have the power. If it doesnt work..scrap the transformer for the copper. Most of the Chemtrons used copper.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch