Good deal or bad?

Just bought something, wanted some reality check.
- Chemetron 500 amp 3 phase CC stick welder - with 50 ft of 00 welding cable and clamp
- On a warehouse style cart
Price was $90.
Good or bad deal?
Any idea how much it weighs, I will pick up tomorrow. The guy looks honest and I paid him today.
Ignoramus30461 wrote:

Just a wild-ass guess, but I'd think the casters and cable would be worth $90.

I think that the cable with clamps and connectors is worth $130 at least, possibly more.
The warehouse cart (looks like it came off some railroad too), probably another $70.
The welder, WAG, is worth $150-200 if I want to sell in a hurry.
I really want only the cable, to extend my welding range. Might keep the cart if it does not upset my better half. I will definitely get rid of this welder.

00 is 2.48 lbs/foot, that alone is worth the price of admission.

Well, the total length is 100 ft -- 50 of positive and 50 of negative

If it doesn't have any bugs, I'd go two thumbs up. Take the case off and look for internal things, mice nests, arc points, loose terminals and connectors, but you know all that. A little spray of contact cleaner here and there.
Steve

Thanks.
It looked clean to me.

Sometimes you can be surprised when you open a case that has been closed a while. I started up my SA200 the other day, and a mouse nest, mouse and all sprayed 360. Poor little guy. Little fingers and toes laying all over.
Steve
On 10/08/2010 03:33 PM, Steve B wrote:

You probably won't feel as sorry for it when you see how much of the wiring harness it has eaten and pissed on.
BobH in Southern AZ

That's disgusting.

It was a Sweeney Todd moment, guaranteed, but then when I heard about him chewing up wiring, my sympathy shriveled immediately.
Steve

Years ago, I had a Fanuc e-310 robot giving all sorts of random errors. Eventually we cracked the case and looked inside. Clean room robot working re-purposed. The port for sucking air out of the robot was open and mice took up residence and while bored chewed on cables.

Iggy,
It could be easy to hate you. ;)
However your luck seems to follow a lot of hard work making luck so I'll just applaud.
Wes

Yeah. All I was trying to do, is to get a nice free welding cable to make an extension. To get that, I had to watch Craigslist, go pay, come back next day, load a 500 lb welder, unload a 500 lb welder, now I need to sell the welder, test it, load it on a buyer's truck, etc.
So it sounds like a cool great deal, but per hour it is not so great.
On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 20:56:50 -0500, Ignoramus30461

around 600 lbs.
Will require 125-150 amps of 3 phase. 15 hp rotary phase converter MAY..may work.
Hell of a deal if you have the power. If it doesnt work..scrap the transformer for the copper. Most of the Chemtrons used copper.
Gunner