Att: knife guys

Now that the holidays are over, it's back to important things....fishing! I've been wanting a non-stainless steel fillet knife for years. I hate stainless knives! I'm spoiled with my file-steel kitchen knives. Fillet knives in stainless are a bitch to sharpen and won't get a real edge and then the edge doesn't last long at all. Flexibility is also a problem as carbon steel knives aren't as flexible. I can't even find a CS boning knife. I'm a big fan of electric knives for fish but power is a problem. What should I doooo? Please answer ASAP as I'm starting to pack now for my May trip. (Actually, I'll un-pack from last year, launder the stuff and re-pack.)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I bet one of those Vector batt-pack-inverter things you can get for like

Reply to
Pete C.

Reply to
R. Wink

Ask and you shall receive

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Go to a restaurant supply dealer in your area that carries Forschner knives. They make a wide range of professional cutlery. They make some knives in up to 10 different levels of stiffness depending upon application.

These knives are not "stainless" just stain resistant.

Forschner knives hold an excellent edge.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Second that. I had a kid try to sell me some Cutco's, cut a piece of hemp rope as a demonstration. I grabbed several of my 10-20 yr old Forschners and did the same. The only thing is be careful,they'll cut you,too. I got careless and lost a small piece off the end of my pinkie one day cutting onions. Most of my kin won't come anywhere near my knives because they're not used to really sharp.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

You gotta be kidding! - I dont believe you cant find a decent knife - AND you want an electric one - bloody hell, man, where do you go fishing - the local trout farm, or Disneyland?. Why not catch the bloody fish, drag it into the boat, gut it, fillet it, cook it, and eat it. Simple. Use your pocket knife - this aint a Michelin 5 star trip is it - besides, you SHOULD be so drunk that beating the fish to death with a stick seems like a good idea most of the time - then, gut it, and throw the bloody thing onto your campfire until its burnt a bit. Drink more beer, and then eat it. Simple. I dunno about you Yanks sometimes........strange people......

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

Power inverter and a 12V battery.

Reply to
Rex B

I've only ever found one stainless steel knife I liked. I cannot remember the brand, but it's a Finnish filleting knife with what appears to be a really cheap birch handle. But the tang is full-length, and the knife is as flexible as a whip. This is also the only stainless knife I've ever found that will keep an edge long enough to do a full-catch of bass and crappie. I have to steel-hone it a couple of times over twenty fish, but it'll stone quickly to a nice wire edge that hones in a second.

The knife has an acid-etched signature on the blade... can't remember the maker, though.

All my kitchen knives are "Old Hickory" carbon steel. My wife hates them because they "always look rusty", but damn do they take an edge! She uses the butter-knife-dull stainless ones stored loose in the drawer!

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

You need a knife that will impress the fish:

These are selling like hot cakes. You'll have to hurry if you want to get one. There are conflicting reports as to whether or not the first one is still available.

If you are on a tight budget, this one might do:

Speechless

They make rechargeable electric knives. I think I've seen 12 volt models at places like Cabalas too.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote>

I've only ever found one stainless steel knife I liked. I cannot remember

Rapala. I've got two of em. Large and small. One for panfish big one for Salmon and trout out of the big pond. Tom

Reply to
Tom Wait

Would that be a Rapala? I have several and they serve me well.

Reply to
its me

They won't last long enough and I won't portage car batteries!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Likley a Rappala or one of the clones. They are very very good. Some of the clones (and I use that loosely as Rappala is actually a generic version of a common Finnish knife style

Chuckle..I tend to be something of a scrounger..and have an appreciation for fine knives. I keep bringing knife blocks home from the Goodwill and so forth, with excellent knives..and she is also afraid of them once Ive dressed them up a bit, so she also uses the blunt ones in the "knife drawer".

Gunner, who picked up a set of early Gerber aluminum handled kitchen knives a couple weeks ago, for $0.50 each at the Salvation Army. "Pax Americana is a philosophy. Hardly an empire. Making sure other people play nice and dont kill each other (and us) off in job lots is hardly empire building, particularly when you give them self determination under "play nice" rules.

Gunner Asch