differential temper and full hard 1095

Contemplating the graph that shows 1095 has a peak on torsional impact when tempered to 325 F and that drops off at tempertures from there to

600 F or more (don't have the graph in front of me), I got to wondering about that weak area that would exist between the spine and edge when differentially tempering a knife and if perhaps it would make sense when tempering to 325 F to leave the whole of the knife full hard?

Also would this make a differential quench preferable to differential temper and if so does it make a difference between edge quenching and clay coating?

Sitting here looking at this, I feel these questions aren't fully formed. Hopefully y'all understand what I'm getting at.

ron

Reply to
r payne

That peak is a "machine measured strength" just like it's a machine measured fact that the "stiffness" of mild steel and heat treated

4140 (like a wrench) are the same only the yield strengths are different.

To your hand, the "all hard" knife will "feel" weak. :/

Even tho it isn't.

Making knives that way is exactly what I do, because all I really care about is edge holding. Since I give them away, I don't have a problem with anybody complaining at me neither. ;)

There are two-edges at the back of a knife if you grind it nice and square and leave them "sharp". Peeling carrots is one use another is reeming a fresh cut piece of pipe another is sharpening a factory knife. ;)

The drastic dip in the graph is also due to the "1 hour draw".

A quick (and dirty;) blacksmith type draw produces different results. Danggit, I've never found strength tests covering "blacksmith type" "quick tempering" methods. :/

Know of any? Anyone? :)

Either way this is my newest-latest interest so thanks for the cool post. :) Now if I could only find some resources that covered our questions. :/

"I got to wondering about that weak area that would exist between the spine and edge when differentially tempering a knife...

There's got to be a hundred (valid?) methods to make a "tough knife" with a 66hrc edge... many of which have been, and still are I guess, thought of as "secret".

I'd like to get all of them out in the open and discuss the pros and cons of them. Someday I'd like to make a "tough knife" with a 66hrc edge that has a "spring" back.

Alvin in AZ ps- I re-arched my leak springs on my '75 F150 using a 10# and a 16# sledge hammers and now need to un-do some of it especially on the passenger side... springs can be tough as nails ;) pps- they didn't "settle" at all!

Reply to
alvinj

Go pick up a nice full load of horse poop (or is that "secret quench medium?") and stack it higher on the passenger side...

Reply to
Ecnerwal

It does feel different than any knife I've ever used. The cutting action is so effortless when the grind is right tho I really like it.

I'm looking to one day sell mine and want to offer the best I can and be able to explain why I do what I do.

I find sharp corners cut into my thumb when I put it on the spine. Therefore i tend to ease those edges. I suppose I can see the advantage. I like to check grind bevels by cutting carrots. A good grind will slice the carrot. A lesser quality grind (but by no means poor) will split the carrot.

sounds like an opportunity for some destructive testing. Now if only I could afford to destructivly test a few dozen blades.

My biggest complaint with "trade secrets" is that the knowlegde is only

1/2 of the equation. The rest is skill that can only be aquired by years of experience. That developed skill should be enough to let all secrets out in the open so the best methods can be determined and used.

ron ps- I sold a knife the other day. pps- am working on getting my newest on my site

r payne

Don't know about a quench, but horse crap can be used in a clay mould for bronze casting. I however choose to use modern and less smelly mediums.

Regards Charles

Ecnerwal wrote:

Reply to
Chilla

Ah, yes, that's the tiny little divide between learning what to do and learning _how_ to do it that can take a lifetime to cross.

Smithing is easy: You just grab a piece of iron, heat it up, and beat it with a hammer until it looks like what you want it to look like.

That covers the what to do. :)

Reply to
John Husvar

Reply to
Chilla

More horse poop? :/ The pile that sometimes occupies the drivers seat ain't enough? :/

Alvin in AZ ps- the spring-packs are out again and look to be exactly the same... so I'm gonna go for a little different this time ;)

Reply to
alvinj

So how far are you from Woop Woop? ;) Say "Hi" to Angie for me. ;)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Reply to