16 years ago
The steel for all blades is 1095. After quench they spent a night in
the freezer as cold treatment before tempering (50 min at 400 F then 40
min at 420). The fixed blades then were stuck edge into wet sand and a
torch was used to differential temper the spine (to the neighborhood of
slip joint is dress in bocote and brass and has a home in my
pocket. The pins are stainless. The finish is melted beeswax. This is
the second slip joint i've made.
one is handled in black walnut with brass pins and also finish with
one is handled in maple with brass pins and is finishe with linseed
oil. The spine is a touch larger than 1/16" and almost has enough flex
to be a filet knife. The finger groove is forged in.
we see a knife all decked out in black walnut with brass
accessories. The finish is linseed oil. One noticable flaw is a pin in
the bolster that didn't quite get peened enough.
one is purple heart and brass. It looks good. I gave it to a
college buddy to eval for me. It is also finished with linseed oil.
I think I've come a long way since my first few.
Let me know what you think