A short essay on "Hooks" ---and a bit of heat-related trivia

When I open this newsgroup my newsreader, my own original posts show up in red. Recently I see that my subject line has a lot of my own posts in it, so I almost feel like I am hogging the newsgroup. Many of you must have a lot more knowledge on the subject than I do, so please, let's see some of your projects and ideas!

This post is about a short essay on the lowly "Hook". See it at:

Bit of trivia: Have you ever been typing something and had to talk about temperature? What did you do when you had to write "degree", as in "----temper it to about 450 degrees F"? Did you write out the word "degree", did you just type the "450" and let it go at that, or did you use the degree symbol "°"? Okay, you say----- "I would use the degree symbol, but it's not anywhere on my keyboard". Well, you are right, and you are wrong. It is available, but it isn't stenciled onto any key on most keyboards. You have to look up it's ASCII code in a table and then enter that code to get it to appear. Here's how I get the degree symbol (on a PC, I don't know what you do on a Mac): Hold down the "alt" key and type 0176 on the numeric key pad. That's it. The degree symbol , ° , will appear in your text.

Pete Stanaitis

---------------

Reply to
Pete S

On a Mac, ° is option-shift-8. Graphically, a variant on * or shift-8 and ? or option-8 - much easier to remember and type than alt-0176, IMHO.

Can still show up weird in some readers, I think.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

450F or 450C or 450K. Assume the reader can infer "degrees" from context.

Except that the degree symbol is not part of the ASCII charset. So when you insert the byte(s) representing that symbol on your system into text going to another system, you're depending on the medium including a Content-type: or similar header identifying the charset and on (all) the remote recipient(s) identifying that header information correctly and having support for the referenced charset.

Arguments along the lines of, "I'm using Windows. If you don't use Windows or at least support everything emanating from Windows, you're a shpxjvg" are not well received.

FWIW,

Reply to
Mike Spencer

Alright, Mike bogus nodomain, and others. I am sorry I mentioned that piece of trivia. To the linux , apple non windows folks, etc., of the world, I apologize. I just figured that minorities usually stick together and that they would already know all that stuff, just as I, being left handed, have to live in a right handed world. But you don't see me complaining every time I pick up a pair of right handed tinsnips.

I will be more careful in the future, Pete Stanaitis

----------------

Reply to
Pete S

Cool post, Pete but there really was no need for an apology. :) Us dumb Linux/Unix users are the same as you dumb lefties. ;) We've gotten used to it and take it as a point of pride that we ain't like ever'one else. Hmmm... leftie Linux users are a whole different animal. ;)

He was just being silly/sensitive/weird/childish/funny?

---------------------

Back in the 90's on newsgroups the degree symbol worked great

248 if I 'member right. After than I switched to 325F or 325*F.

---------------------

After quenching the 1095 (spring stock from Brownell's) in oil I'd put the (still warm) knife blades in the freezer at -5*F while I got the toater oven out and stabilized at 325*F.

Then drawing one-time for one-hour would yield a -tested- 66+HRC knife blade that'd out-cut all factory knives (cutting dry stuff).

Wet stuff like meat is a different story since the 66+hrc 1095 is left "kinda activated" it was so hard and under so much internal stress (not strain;).

They'd still do real good cutting meat but no where near what they otherwised showed on dry stuff. M2 high speed steel at 64-65hrc will kick 1095's butt in meat cutting, see? :)

That's right at the peak of 1095's tortional impact toughness. Below 325*F or 0-250*F above it leaves it weaker. Believe it? :)

Thought I'd use *F in an example. LOL :)

...and start a fight about drawing temeratures at the same time! xD

Alvin in AZ AKA: Butthead in AZ ps- A "pre-stressed" (hunch back) flat trailer bed ain't. It's "pre-strained" since you can see strain and can't see stress. -Richard "Curly" Hastings (my metallurgy prof) So just remember pre-stressed concrete etc's "got it backwards".

Reply to
alvinj