Legal Copies of RSLogix 5 & 5000

I would like to purchase used legal copies of RSLogix. There are all finds of illegal copies being sold on EBay. Is there any way to purchase legal copies used?

Thanks!

Ernie Adsett

Reply to
Ernie Adsett

I'm willing to bet that a lot of these illegal copies that are for sale won't have proper activation key disks. I just did a search for Logix on Ebay, and there was one with 25 bids, up to $150. All he is offering is the cd. This will get you nowhere. I could be mistaken, but last I checked, you need an authorization code which comes on a disk. If you want to move that liscence to another computer, you have to run an extraction utility which puts it back on a disk.

Reply to
Andy

Just out of curiosity. Which AB PLC series can be programmed using RSLogix

5 & 5000?
Reply to
Sam Kaan

Logix 5 is for the PLC 5 series and 5000 is for the newest ControlLogix series. Seems like AB comes up with a new way to make money with each new series and leaves the rest of us behind.

Ernie

*****************************

Sam Kaan wrote:

Reply to
Ernie Adsett

Yes, I've been looking for valid copies on EBay for some time. I bought a set with a master key but the registration was not transferable. After determining that it was illiegal, I uninstalled it.

A key to determining if the programs are legal is apparently the phase "know what you are buying" (i.e. know that you are buying something illiegal).

Would like to be able to bid on something valid.

Ernie

***********************************

Andy wrote:

Reply to
Ernie Adsett

The odds of finding something valid on Ebay is between slim and none. Most products that come in CD form on Ebay are illegal. Actually, I shouldn't say that. The auction I was looking at was perfectly legal. The guy was selling a legitimate copy of RSLogix. What he wasn't telling you was whether or not it came with a liscence. My guess is probably not. The cd's you can get free from a distributor. The liscence is what costs the big bucks. You can buy it for around $1000Can. Even if you get an authorization disk you probably are not getting the liscence. There is a utility that loads the authorization when installing the liscence. After you have done that, the disk no longer contains the activation. There is a seperate utility on the disk that allows you to extract the liscence incase you want to move it to another computer.

Try making some friends at a local distributor and see if you can get a trial liscence. It will expire, but it will give you some time. Also, you can change the clock on your computer so that it doesn't expire.

If you would consider PLC5 (which is old, but newer than PLC2) you can get 6200. 6200 is dos based software which shouldn't be too expensive to get. PLC5's are still used a little. It will allow you to increase your exposure to programming at least.

Reply to
Andy

IIRC 6200 is not copy protected and is no longer supported by AB. The last version is pretty good but will not program the newer versions of the PLC5. Also, the newer I/O modules won't be recognized.

PLC5s are used A LOT in large manufacturing facilities.

I helped start up a newly built FoMoCo facility that had about 20 PLC5s and somewhere between 50 and 100 SLCs (At least 50 SLC5/05s) just a couple of years ago.

ARM

Reply to
Alan McClure

What plant did you work in? How long ago? I was in St. Thomas (ON) as a contractor for 6 months. Tonnes of PLC5, only one SLC (body shop).

Reply to
Andy

I was on contract, also for about 6 months at the Cleveland Aluminum Casting Plant. CACP is an add-on to Cleveland Engine Plant #2. The 50 SLC5/05s were in 50 flat topped "cars" that ran on a "race track" past a series of Fanuc robots that assembled two cores on each car. The cars were essentially independant, only getting power and communication from the rails of the track.

ARM

Andy wrote:

Reply to
Alan McClure

I visit the GM plant in Oshawa a while back as part of a students tour our school put on. Boy are those robotic cars cool. Totally autonomous, don't run people over, pick up parts and deliver them to different assembly locations. wow!

Reply to
Sam Kaan