types of cable to program Allen Bradley PLC (from PC)

Do Allen Bradley PLCs share a common cable as far as programming cable is concerned? What I mean is when you are writing up the program you do it mostly from the PCs (Win2000)? and then you upload it to the PLC, right? If so did Allen Bradley keep the same cable format from one PLC series to another? or do they change the construction of the cable, and make people buy a different cable for each series of PLC? Do the 177x,

174x, Micrologix, SLC etc use the same cable? Are they expensive to get?

Suppose you managed to buy the PLCs and the cable, do you need anything else to start learning the thing?

Reply to
Sam Kaan

There are variations in cables and you need programming software on the PC. Some PLC's come with SW (some micros and mini's), others do not and some you can do in demo mode per limits of time or sessions. Not sure if can get much of anything FREE with AB, unless via a rep. There are some KIT deals out there too, for this purpose. Ebay is a good place to get a used version of something like that. You need to research PLC and vendor sites, and it's important as to what type of PLC installation you might do and $ you have to spend. There are also some virtual PLC learning SW.

Reply to
mindspringnews

SLC5/04 uses a null modem or PCmcia card and custom cable for RS485 access. SLC5/02 uses the 1747-PIC PLC5 also uses the PCMCIA card Micrologix uses serial to round mini connector (can't remember its name).

Except for the null modem cable that they supplied the pinout for in the book, all of these items carry an AB part #. I have not sucessfully found any other pinouts.

The cables run ~$150 each as I recall.the PCMCIA card wa a little more.

D>Do Allen Bradley PLCs share a common cable as far as programming cable

Reply to
dummy

With regards to software. Is it true that only AB softwares can be used? Or can you use the generic one such as RSLogix?

Reply to
Sam Kaan

By the way, what cable does the PLC2 uses for communicating with the PC? approx how much to buy?

What about software for programming PLC2?

I know its an old PLC, but just investigating something cheap for educational purpose only.

Reply to
Sam Kaan

Reply to
dummy

I haven't had to touch a PLC2 in years, I don't remember if that was supported in the 6200 series software, before the rockwell buyout.

I doubt that the money saved could be traded for real life experience. Other than basic ladder logic programming, most of what you learn with the PLC2 will be obsolete.

Reply to
dummy

I have a plc2 cable that I will be willing to sell if you are interested. Actually the plc2 cables are more expensive then the newer ones.

Reply to
Ourfamily