allen-bradley SLC 5/03

I am an instrumentation student working on project that will hopefully use both a barcode scanner and a panelview screen. Currently the scanner is working and is connected to the PLC through the serial port(RS 232) on the processor. I still need to interface with the PanelView with the same PLC. Since the port is already being used with the scanner, is there any other way to connect the touch screen to the PLC? Thanks for the help.

Reply to
fenrisbane

A PanelView with a DH-485 interface could be connected to the other port on the SLC-5/03. A 1746-BAS card could be programmed to interface with the bar code scanner. A Prosoft MVI46-GSC module could be programmed to interface with the bar code scanner. There are a couple of DH-485 barcode scanners on the AB encompass site:

Unfortunately, all these ideas cost money.

Reply to
cerskine

Look into a AIC+. I 'believe' the Allen Bradley Cat. No. is 1761-NET-AIC. A cable will go from the -03 to the AIC+, which has two serial and a DH-485 port(s) .

To quote the AB knowledgebase,

Direct connection to a SLC Channel 1 of an SLC 5/03 To connect an RS-232 Panelview to Channel 1(DH-485) of a 5/03 processor use a 1761-CBL-AS03/AS09 cable from port 3 of the AIC+ to Channel 1 of the SLC and connect the PanelView to Port 1 of the AIC+ using a 2711-NC13 cable.

Many Panelviews will talk DH-485 natively if configured to do so.

A BAS Card to your scanner would work too... but it isn't cheap and there may be extra programming involved.

AIC+ units and cables are usually available on E-Bay pretty reasonably priced.

For more info, go to AB.Com, support, and use the knowledgebase search functions. I used AIC+ panelview slc to find the quote.

Email me if you need more help.... good luck!

Jake

Reply to
Jake