starter package in PLC??

Hi PLC gurus,

I am looking to pick up some knowledge of PLCs and wanted to know what is the most basic system I can set up such that I can start to write programs and see some results (preferably stepper motor running).

Some local surplus store is advertising these for sale. Is this a fairly complete set up to do what I wanted to do? What about softwares for writing programs? cables to hook up to a PC??

a) PLC 2 1772-LN1 Processor Chassis - 1771 AA b) four card slots 120 / 240VAC power supply c) 2 - 1771-IB 24 VDC input cards d) 2 - 1771-OB 24VDC output cards All cards with swing arm terminals

Reply to
Sam Kaan

NO NO NO, for too many reasons # 1 being close to 20 years old and only half what you need.

I suggest you start with a low end AB like a SLC or other major brand micro.

Reply to
mindspringnews

Aren't the SLC series those 174x ? Is this more modern than these 177x series? Strange how they number the series with smaller number being more modern ie. 174x NO NO NO, for too many reasons # 1 being close to 20 years old and only half

Reply to
Sam Kaan

It's not really that strange.. after all, the 177x chassis is bigger than a

174x chassis. What makes you think the model numbers have anything to do with age??

Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

Try here

the SLC's, micrologix, pico to train on, for low budget. Maybe SLC500 if have money. Review and talk over with you local AB rep. OR review these and look for on ebay. Some require more Extra's than others, like SW.

Reply to
mindspringnews

Hardware is only half the cost. The software will take a bite out of your budget. If you are going SLC's or MicroLogix, then you need to get ahold of RSLogix500 (~$1000). As far as I know, it's not readily availble on the black market either. You will also need RSLinx (single node ~$600). And depending on the hardware, you may need special communication cables. In other words, don't rush into a purchase because it's the cheapest thing on Ebay. There are all sorts of other costs.

Try to get something with onboard RS232 (or ethernet) so you can make your own cable.

You could save yourself some cash by picking up a MicroLogix1500 (1764-LSP) (~$400). The cable is around $80 and you program it with RSLogix500. The MicroLogix1500 has built in I/O, so you don't have to buy modules (but you can expand the I/O if you want).

Spend some time on the AB website. They have a tonne of User Manuals and product brocheurs. You would have found out that PLC2 is useless if you are trying to learn. People post here without ever doing any research for themselves. The AB website

has all sorts of information available.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

I think u are right. I will probably go with a more modern unit like the Micrologix with onboard ethernet. I have a computer with a hub/firewall thing with multiple ethernet jack which I can easily hook up a PLC to. Whereas there is only one RS232. So it seems ethernet is better choice. By the way, these ethernet capable AB, are they standard ethernet technology? ie. can you hook them up to the network and ping them from a PC?

Reply to
Sam Kaan

I would highly reccommend Allen Bradley if You are interested in getting married to a system that will soak your wallet. If you are learning PLC's I would reccommend Automation Direct. For the price of Your Micrologix and Rslinx (that You can only install on one computer) you could get:

DL06 PLC with 36 DIO

5" Touch panel 4 analog in 2 analog out Programming Software (on a CD, installable on anything) Cables (that don't have special connectors like A-B) [Money left over to buy 1 or 2 more PLC's to network]

I challenge anyone to prove that Allen-Bradley is a better product.

Reply to
Joe Dough

Whether or not it's the best is irrelevant. The fact is, a tonne of manufacturers are using AB. Having played with Automation Direct PLC will give you a place to start, but I challenge you to show me a major manufacturer that uses it. Eventually, you are going to need to know the software and products of AB (or GE or Siemens). You may get soaked in the beginning, but take a look at the big picture. I paid $5,000/year in tuition at University and then $2,500/year at College (I'm Canadian) and then multiple thousands of dollars to get specific training. I have seen a full setup (10 slot rack, SLC5/04 and 9 I/O modules) for less then $1,000 on Ebay. The software is pricy. You can get RSLinx Lite. For programming, you can get RSLogix500 with a trial licence. And all you need is a serial cable if you get the right processor (503 has RS232 port). If you are going to do it (learn the trade) then do it right. Get the right tools. It will pay off in the end.

Reply to
I wish I was a machine...

Yes, you can.

Be aware though, that in many cases you must connect to the PLC some other way (with AB products typical through the RS232 port) to be able to configure the Ethernet port so you can program the PLC through it - so you still need the AB software - downloads over Ethernet are quicker, that's all.

This is not the case with all PLC manufacturers. Some Modicon PLC's (for example) use a third-party Ethernet Router to access the PLC and these connect pretty much straight out of the box - the PLC does not even know it is there.

Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

GE VersaMax, 90-30 and above have Ethernet CPU's and cards.

Reply to
mindspringnews

GE runs these KIT specials all the time, even if page says time has ran out. I've got couple IC200TBX123's from distributors when said you can only get one .. lol. And all their manuals are free web downloads too.

IC200TBX010 VersaMax Nano Tool box, 10 point PLC. (IC200NDR001_ 24VDC In/Relay Out, 24 VDC Power Supply with VersaPro software, CIMPLICITY Machine Edition Logic Developer software, manuals and cables. (IC640VPS002). A $330.00 value for only $150.00

IC200TBX014 VersaMax Micro Tool box, 14 point PLC, (IC200UDR001) 24VDC In/Relay Out, AC Power Supply with VersaPro software, CIMPLICITY Machine Edition Logic Developer software, manuals and cables (IC640VPS002) A $385.00 value for only $180.00

IC200TBX023 VersaMax Tool box, 23 point PLC, (IC200UAL006) DC In/Relay Out,

2 analog In, 1 analog out, AC Power Supply with VersaPro software, CIMPLICITY Machine Edition Logic Developer software, manuals and cables (IC640VPS002) A $760.00 value for only $450.00

IC200TBX028 VersaMax Tool box, 28 point PLC, (IC200UDR005) 24VDC In/Relay Out, AC Power Supply with software, manuals and cables (IC640VPS002) A $530.00 value for only $275.00

IC200TBX110 VersaMax Tool box, 10 point PLC (IC200NDR001) 24VDCIn/Relay Out, AC P/S, VersaMax DataPanel DP45 operator interface with VersaPro, CIMPLICITY Machine Edition Logic Developer software, and DataDesigner programming software and cables, (IC640VPS00, IC752DDZ000, IC200CBL550) A $820.00 value for only $350.00

IC200TBX114 VersaMax Tool box, 14 point PLC (IC200UDR001) 24VDCIn/Relay Out, AC P/S, VersaMax DataPanel DP45 operator interface with VersaPro, CIMPLICITY Machine Edition Logic Developer software, programming software and cables, (IC640VPS00, IC752DDZ000, IC200CBL550) A $875.00 value for only $380.00

IC200TBX123 VersaMax Tool box, 23 point PLC (IC200UAL006) 24VDCIn/Relay Out, 2 Analog In/1 Analog out, AC P/S, VersaMax DataPanel DP45 operator interface with VersaPro, CIMPLICITY Machine Edition, and DataDesigner programming software and cables, (IC640VPS00, IC752DDZ000, IC200CBL550) A $1250.00 value for only $650.00

IC200TBX128 VersaMax Tool box, 28 point PLC (IC200UDR005) 24VDCIn/Relay Out, AC P/S, VersaMax DataPanel DP45 operator interface with VersaPro, CIMPLICITY Machine Edition, and DataDesigner programming software and cables, (IC640VPS00, IC752DDZ000, IC200CBL550) A $1020.00 value for only $475.00

mindspringnews