June 21-22 PLC training Seminar in Atlanta, GA

Every quarter there is a PLC training seminar held in Atlanta, GA http://www.bin95.com/AB_RSLogix_Seminar.htm
TRAINING OUTLINE
Basic use RSLogix Software
o Starting RSLinx and RSLogix
o PC to PLC Communications
o Working efficiently with tool bars
o On Line and Off Line Operation
o Quickly compare PLC program copies
o Communicating with the PLC
o Burning the EPROM
o Find your way around in large PLC programs
o Using RsLogix as your second troubleshooting partner
o Forces Enabled/Disabled safely
o Data files and subroutines
o How to find your own answers using software
o Questions from the audience
PLC Ladder Logic
o Is it normally open or normally closed?
o A basic rung of logic
o Instruction types
o MCR, JSR and basic structure of a PLC program
o Adjusting Timers and Counters
o What is integers, binary, floating point data memory areas.
o Symbols and rung descriptions
Standard Operating Practices (SOP)
o Backing up your PLC programs
o Protecting your PLC programs
o Reliable operating procedures
o EPROM for zero downtime
o Documenting change
o Safety while troubleshooting
o Winzip and File Management
o Downloading and Uploading
Troubleshoot Actual Problems
o Basic troubleshooting theory
o The most common problems
o Relating your PLC program to the real world
o Tracing and monitoring input and outputs
o How to recover quickly from lightning and other power problems
o Actual troubleshooting exercise
o Using RsLogix's Advanced Diagnostics
Your can also find the following at the website below ...
Allen Bradley (AB) PLC Trainer and PLC simulation CD set at ... http://www.bin95.com/ebooks/plc_training_simulator.htm
Also Onsite customized PLC Training has been provided by for over 6 years http://www.bin95.com/plc_training.htm
Hope this helps.
On 29 May 2004 19:21:19 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Manf. Engnr.) wrote:

    Yeh - for $ 780 / head.

    Helps who ? You ?
    Don't post your spam in alt.hvac.
Paul ( pjm @ pobox . com ) - remove spaces to email me 'Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm / Free Temperature / Pressure charts for 38 Ref's http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm /

<snip>
So how does this help people in Europe, UK, Russia, Asia and Australasia?

Oh, they just get a passport, a visa, an airplane ticket and a hotel reservation and they, too, can go.

On Sun, 30 May 2004 18:35:09 -0400, "John Gilmer"

    Makes the $ 780 / day pale by comparison ....

Paul ( pjm @ pobox . com ) - remove spaces to email me 'Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm / Free Temperature / Pressure charts for 38 Ref's http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm /
Thought about not commenting on this, but it touched a nerve... as I'm a guy that makes a good portion of my living working with Allen Bradley controllers.
I looked over the website link noted and it appears these people are honestly trying to help some folks.... but....
Real Rockwell/Allen Bradley courses are available that cost about the same, and in many cases your A/B distributor will get you a substantial discount.
In addition, the RSLogix software used to program and troubleshoot is some of the most user-friendly, intuitive and well thought out stuff around. Any computer literate tech that can read ladder diagrams will figure it out in short order.
If you're a technical neophyte, I don't think you belong messing around with systems anyhow... but that's just my opinion.
Sometimes I wonder if guys like this do controls people more harm than good. A/B stuff is not difficult to work with or requires seminar training. These controllers are powerful tools that can solve a bunch of problems reliably and inexpensively.
I've worked with many PLC's for over 20 years now, so if you've got a question about them... let me know. I'll answer for free... and you don't have to travel to Atlanta.
Jake
PS If you're interested in just some simple applications from A/B's smallest line, look at the PICO controllers at http://www.ab.com/plclogic/pico /. They'll replace a bunch of relays and be a lot more reliable.
Hi All. I just wanted to reply to those negative replies to my postings and clear up a few misunderstandings. Normally I would just ignore those who slam a posting as newsgroups in general are filled with those undesirable people.
First of all, the seminars are $780 for both days, that is $390/per day. This is one of the most least expensive seminars on the market for what you get. (Specific needs of attendees are addressed during hands on part, not just a canned presentation. Plus free lunch, a $135 Maintenance CD, promotional giveaways too. :>)
If you have some experience under your belt, AB courses, while a little more expensive, are great. The ones I attended went from basics to advance in 1-2 days. The individual was not focused on and some where discouraged. If you're savvy, AB is easy to pick up on. If you not, you can gain enough knowledge to cost a lot of downtime. The Atlanta seminars focus on doing things in a reliable safe way, not just the "how to".
It is getting old to see negative people disking your post as advertisement while they leave a couple links to their products in their post. :>) I do understand, we all have to make a living, but their could not be a more sincere individual than the instructor of the Atlanta seminar whose only interest is giving attendees more return on their training investment.
As for the location, the resort is only mile away for those intervals and companies that can afford reservations. For the year these seminars have been conducted, each new one is adjusted according to feedback received from the attendees. The first one indicated the resort was a cost barrier, so the seminar was moved down the street. Attendees have the option to stay at either, and some still opt to stay at the resort. The last seminar attendees mostly indicated they would like three days instead of two. So something must be being done right. :>)
Yes, it is true, the Atlanta seminar is not much good to those in other countries. In defense of the company conducting the seminars, they have listened to the customer and now sell PLC Training CBT CDs for those in other countries to learn too. Also that product is kept as one of the least expensive on the market too, just like the seminars.
I'll end this rebuttal with a special reply to Paul, who asked, "who does this seminar help, you? Stop spamming HVAC". The seminars help those who are first starting out to approach learning with minimum downtime and mistakes. I believe it helps those attendees more than it helps me. :>) Anyone who wants to attend future seminars bad enough, I am sure you wont have a problem finding our schedule on the internet. So I wont leave anymore links or advertisement. In fact, I am now off to check out Paul's palm software he advertised while condemning the original post. (Although I don't think nasty comments is a good way to sell palm software, I am just curious. :>)
Manf. Engnr. wrote:

If you have some experience under your belt, AB courses, while a little more expensive, are great. The ones I attended went from basics to advance in 1-2 days. The individual was not focused on and some where discouraged. If you're savvy, AB is easy to pick up on. If you not, you can gain enough knowledge to cost a lot of downtime. The Atlanta seminars focus on doing things in a reliable safe way, not just the "how to".
Look here, whoever you are...
A/B is easy to pick up on if you have the prerequisites that they ask for. If you don't, you have no business mucking around in a control system anyway.
Allen Bradley has always focused on safety in any A/B class I've ever attended, and it's true that any ya-hoo that only learns how to connect on-line to a control system and start screwing around can do a lot of damage.
You don't learn this stuff in two days.. I don't care who you are or how much the program costs or what it does. Your curriculum sounds good, but it's a lot of ground to cover in two short days. I could spend two days teaching techs how to safely connect to a control system and use RSLogix CDM's to troubleshoot.
A/B's programs are focused for a reason... you have a short period of time to gain the absolute knowledge you seek. It's assumed that if you signed up for the course, and you paid for it, that you know what to expect.
If you're discouraged rather than excited with all the new knowledge you can gain at a A/B class, then you don't belong there to begin with. Have you never attended any college level courses? The Prof could care less whether you learn anything... that is not his/her responsibility. It is your responsibility, as the student. to soak up the knowledge. I've never known instructors at A/B courses to refuse to help anyone who doesn't understand and asks for clarification.
Yes, I'm a A/B SI, and yes, A/B makes very powerful control systems that do serious work. There isn't a magic cure to understanding how these things operate... it takes a lot of training and experience... more than 2 days worth.
If the program was worth a shit you wouldn't be denigrated to trying to sell it out on the Usenet... word of mouth or A/B distributors would sell it for you. Apparently, it sucks.
Jake

That one probably left a pretty good mark...

Yes ! it did. :>) Looks like Jake's made this public forum... a little less public. I always thought insight passed along in the news groups was "word of mouth", never thought those who speak in these public areas are "denigrated" by doing so. (As Indiana Jake does above) I like to think you and others here to be innovative, and for the most part open minded, just by the fact you are joining in. :>)
Jake made some assumptions, so while I am here, I might as well take opportunity to lay to rest Jake's misconceptions. The seminars started out being targeted towards maintenance personnel. Their job responsibilities required they work with PLCs. As many where being cross trained from mechanical and other areas to electrical or to assume some of the responsibilities that OEMs and the Jake's (Contractor Electricians) of the world used to do for them, they needed to be taught not lectured.
Jake is correct about 2 days not being enough because the seminars are being extended to three days at attendees request. They keep filling up, so something must be correct and they do get better every time. :>) Attendees are not becoming masters of PLCs and some are not prepared for a college level format of learning. They just need the basics so they can do their job and minimize downtime and dependency on outside sources. (Also Jake, how do you know that AB distributors, fortune 500 companies, other learning institutions, even government contracted organizations have not utilized this same training program delivered in the seminars?)
To give someone 2-3 days PLC training in a sink or swim lecture format could do more harm than good. The instructors of the Atlanta seminar actually has the attendees perform the task taught in hands on portion. The more important the task, the more times it is worked in to the course with the instructor monitoring each attendees performance. That is why the seminars are kept to a small amount of attendees and there is actually two instructors roaming the class helping out.
I hope future replies to this post will be constructive, open minded, sincere. I will no longer reply to profanity or unproductive criticisms.
Quote: "They don't know what they don't know"

No, it made it more public. You stated your opinion and I stated mine. Fair enough, I'd think.

I said the program was denigrated by pushing it one the Usenet when there are a plethora of professional magazine, trade organizations, and the A/B community itself which WELCOMES good educational opportunities. If you've read any of my posts, I rarely, if ever, attack anyone personally on Usenet.

We spend a lot of time assisting our customers in training their own maintenance people. In spite of your inference here, it is not a bit profitable for me to go out to a customer job site and use RSLogix to troubleshoot a bad limit switch or whatever. All of our programming, and that of a lot of OEMS, is supplied with CDM files to aid maintenance personnel. As you probably know, RSLinx itself is fully capable (with the right versions) of reading A/B data tables. That information alone is enough to troubleshoot most problems without ever opening a read/write communications session with the controller.
That said, I'm not a fan of maintenance personnel being encouraged to CHANGE programming. Control systems are created with a plan, and a picture, of the overall goals of the organization and always, always, safety. This plan can be compromised in one line of code (with disastourous results).

I know this because they'd be selling it for you. Are you an Encompass partner yet?

Ok, if the goal is to learn how to play with a Micro 1000, I agree. If the goal is to help maintenance people understand commonly implemented, networked controllers with 1,000's of I/O points, this is scary. A dedicated software solution needs to be devised for that.
Now, I don't mean to disrespect the little Micros, as they certainly have their place and any decent electrician should have the knowledge necessary to pop one in and eliminate dozens of relays. But a decent electrician is also smart, doesn't need mousing skills, or to learn to zip files, or whatever else the seminars fill some time with.
IMO, the RSLogix line of software is some of the most electrician friendly stuff around. Context sensitive help, a full reference (with examples, in most cases) of the instruction set, a common ladder design, and p-code for us veterans. Most of the help also has sub levels for all of the various controllers within a family A/B manufactures.
I mentioned the A/B community a while ago, and it is important. Backed by some of the best technical support around, the best web site around, and the largest community of users around, it's a great source of information. The community is not a web site but a large group of professionals that love the hardware, and are willing to help about anyone who asks. I cannot imagine that a F-500 company, or a governmental entity, or even the smallest manufacturer could not get the knowledge they seek from their A/B distributor, SI, or the community at large.
Sorry for rambling here, but you've gotta understand the A/B people are not out to make it harder, or earn more money from anyone. We just want to see that stuff run... safely and within design.
Maybe your program can educate... maybe it cannot. Get yourself hooked up with those customers that have a need, and we'll be there to help.Blasting the ads out on the Usenet makes you look cheap and silly.
Jake
<No, I do not work for Allen Bradley, Rockwell Automation, or anybody but my customers. I've never received any payment from Allen Bradley or any company associated with Rockwell. I and my people have, however, received some of the best training and support from them.>
You could do better with Modicon <sniff>.
Jake
Don't worry about it, Big Bin95! Your info is on topic and in the right place. Just ignore those dumb asses. They're like a pimple on Uranus.
Guv "And you can quote me on that" BoB