I give up

I give up. The cross posting bottom feeders win. comp.cad.solidworks and alt.machines.cnc are no longer worth my time. What a shame, I used to be able to learn so much and it was fun. It is more than just Cliff & Jon, but EVERYONE that insist on responding to them. May you all learn the meaning of respect someday.

signed

someone who wants to make a real difference

Reply to
ambush

I agree

It has gone so far now, that I find myself turning off TV if there is guy named Cliff in a movie for example. Luckily there aren't that many Jon's in movies now adays.

Krister L=E4ndkvist

Reply to
Krister_L

"ambush" a écrit dans le message de news:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - > but EVERYONE that insist on responding to

Yes, please STOP.

Reply to
Jean Marc

You are both too stupid to ignore the trolls, and too stupid to use a newsreader that will allow you to remove them. Please do go away.

Reply to
sittingduck

Waaaa. Use filters. If you need help in using them, maybe cliff can help you, he seems to know how to use a newsreader.

I say keep posting cliff, by shere volume he has to post a good post now and then.

Reply to
vinny

You give up too easily Mr signed (sounds like a patsy sociopath post..hope it isnt you matt) Considering you have only made this one post to any group I find it hard to believe you have been so inconvenienced. Since you haven't made any contributions to the discussions either I don't think it matters too much you are going cos no one knew you existed anyway. Why do we have so many people wanting free tip bits, help and advice but being silent spectators and now unhappy? You are lucky some people post for your benefit and entertainment gratis If you wanted to make a real difference you could have voiced objection long before now rather than running away at the first difficulty. I might add there are others here commiserating who this same comment might apply too I wonder where all the selective memory comes from. People have been filtering Cliff and Jon for years and cross posting has been an issue just as long I have been conspicuous here in the past it has been for exchanges trying to keep the forum clean. Where were you guys then?

Reply to
neilscad

Good filters make a real difference.

I'm fond of the newsreader MicroPlanet Gravity, free download at:

(1) My killfile (which Gravity amusingly calls the 'Bozo Bin') is set to exclude messages from the worst offenders.

(2) A filter is set for the worst offenders names which occur in the SUBJECT, FROM, HEADER or BODY of any post, which excludes replies to them.

(3) And a filter is set to exclude any message posted to more than one newsgroup, which of course includes alt.machines.cnc

Here are some statistics showing how "quiet" this NG can be:

Total posts from comp.cad.solidworks in my newsreader tonight : 480 After excluding the worst offenders by name: 269 (this kills most of their messages and replies to them) After excluding crossposts: 213 After excluding anyone the Bozo Bin: 186

This means that 61% of the currently available posts are blocked. After going back to look at the blocked posts, I'm quite happy with the results.

As a side note, my ISP prohibits access to its NG server outside the broadband network at home. At the office (MY office, MY time) I sometimes have a look here using Google Groups, and I'm amazed at the "noise" I never saw at home.

There are too many clever, talented and articulate members of the NG to ignore. I'll stay, with filters at the ready, to hear the good stuff.

Art W.

Reply to
Art Woodbury

small price for a truly free forum, really unmoderated, un stifled. Besides, I like the off topic stuff, and most of the time cliff puts OT: in his subject if its off topic. And crossposting? Well, best just to ignore it.

Sucks when you look up and realized you just posted in alt.abortion, or alt.skinheads, but really who cares. People take life too serious.

And why did that person crosspost a post bitching about crossposting???

Reply to
vinny

I didn't notice that I was replying to a message crossposted to alt.machines.cnc, so I may be hammered from there.

Reply to
Art Woodbury

I concur Art. And do the same, and have done teh same for years. Just ignore them. *Laughs at the day ppl get a clue and its only those bozo's arguing to themselves*

Lots of good tips still here and good people (i'm still here after all :P).

-HoffY

Reply to
Anonymous

Translated:

Cliff goes to comp.cad.soliworks just to chase his own tail.

Reply to
Black Dragon

"This is not a list. This is not a board. This is not some web page forum with rules and moderators. This is USENET. The wild west of online communication. Where trolls and flames roam rampant. Where you keep your asbestos underpants handy if you lack wit (or have an ego that greatly exceeds your actual abilities). If you don't like it, feel free to run back to the comfortable safety of moderated web forums and mailing lists where everyone lives in enforced peace and harmony in the land of Nod." -Cichlidiot

Hope that helps.

Reply to
Black Dragon

Not sure who this is directed at, I think I started this thread so I'm tossing a reply. As BD pointed out, this is the anything goes un-moderated world of use groups.

It does contain some good data and advise about lots of stuff. It also is heavy with bull-do from a couple guys. Guess we just have to filter the bull-do to get the good stuff.

Fred

Reply to
fred

I have a credit card on which the magnetic strip is so worn that it refuses to scan. Every time I make a purchase with it I tell the clerk that it won't work, you have to type it in. Invariably the clerks will try all their extra special tricks to make it work. Wipe it on pants leg, wrap in plastic, swipe it fast, swipe it left to right or right to left, etc. I explain to the clerk that it simply doesn't work, but they will always try something.

Now as a side note, I would highly recommend disabling the magnetic strip simply because the clerks also invariably check identity when it doesn't work. This is a good thing if your card should become lost and bad if you want cash from an ATM.

Now logically the clerk should listen to what I have to say and simply proceed immediately to key in the numbers. Why? because it should be obvious that the cardholder has seen the card fail to scan many more times than the clerk has. But human nature will never take no for an answer, will never admit defeat, will always think that by some special blessing from heaven that they are under that the card will work for them and everybody else is mistaken.

So it is that many people cannot resist correcting the fool. But in this case the Bible has the answer:

PROV 10:23 It is as sport to a fool to do mischief: but a man of understanding hath wisdom. PROV 15:2 The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright: but the mouth of fools poureth out foolishness. PROV 17:10 A reproof entereth more into a wise man than an hundred stripes into a fool.

And finally:

PROV 26:4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him. PROV 26:5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

Amen.

Reply to
J Carroll

Hi Art,

Just checked out MicroPlanet Gravity, it doesn't look like it's been updated since 2004, wondering if there is a better alternative, out there?

I'm currently using Outlook express, on this PC, and have filtered out most of the totally insane Bozos, but would really like to filter out the replies to the Bozos, as well, without filtering out those people replying to the Bozos completely.

Some of those replying to the Bozos actually make useful and interesting posts, under other topics, hence I don't want to filter them out completely. Shame they can't see responding to the Bozos only encourages them to post even more drivel, which in turn makes it even more difficult to sift through the mindless inane nonsense to find the worthwhile posts (The equivalent of a circular reference in SolidWorks).

Filtering the replies to the Bozos only doesn't seem possible in Outlook Express, I'd appreciate knowing of a newsreader that can?

John Layne

John Layne

My original post snipped....

Hi John, It was originally a commercial product that fell on hard times. The developer released the 2067 build as freeware. It is powerful and AFAIK, bug free. If I were to go with a commercial, supported newsreader it would be Forte Agent. Here's a link that lists more newsreaders than you'll ever need:

The Bozo Bin scans incoming posts and marks those from Bozos "as read". If your article window is set to display only unread articles, the Bozos disappear, but you can still read them by choosing to display all articles.

Filters are a different tool. See below,

Gravity filtering is VERY flexible. The filters I set up will ignore replies to Bozos without killfiling the replier. If the replier posts on another subject, it will be visible. The same applies to crossposting filters.

Keep in mind, the Bozo Bin blocks individuals regardless of message content, while the filters block kinds of behaviour.

Forte Agent comes in free and commercial versions, so it costs nothing to evaluate. If you go with Gravity, I'll be happy give you copies of my filters and settings.

Art W.

Reply to
Art Woodbury

"TOP" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com...

How many countries in the world are still using the magnetic strip? Its use has been replaced by a chip + PIN here for so long I couldn't tell. But the strip still exists on the card for other countries.

Reply to
Jean Marc

"Art Woodbury" a écrit dans le message de news:

I'm on the same boat, but do not want to spend the time investigating for another newsreader. Let us know if you find a solution that fits your needs, mine are the same.

TIA

Reply to
Jean Marc

-I offered some choices, but I'll keep using Gravity. It does everything

-I want in a newsreader.

-I mentioned the 2067 build in an earlier post, but the 2060 build seems

-the most stable, and that's the one I use.

Only could get 2067. For those interrested, here is a working link (for me):

It has an excellent review (best one). Couldn't complete setup as I do not have the password of the NG at my ISP. Will ask IT, and come back for any questions.

Any direct answer to at tgcp.fr

Reply to
Jean Marc