Why you NEED give McMaster business

To be honest, McMaster isn't the cheapest way to go for parts; but their service is second-to-none!
I replaced a cylinder on a customer's machine Friday, and noted a small
air leak out a 'port' in the body that was not intended to leak (it's a hole for insertion of a retaining key, not a flow port). It didn't adversely affect the operation, but it wasn't right. So I contacted Mead Fluid Dynamics directly to understand the problem. They allowed as how it could happen, but was so unusual as to raise some red flags.
They wanted the defective cylinder, in order to do a QC check on it and their processes. But I bought it from McMaster, and normally, they would want the return. As is customary, I expected to be billed for the replacement, then credited for it when the dud was processed. I intended to offer a copy of the certificate of receipt by Mead as evidence it had been 'returned' (as it were).
McMaster allowed me to ship the dud to Mead without other 'proof'. They credited me for the bad, shipped the new one, and don't even require any corroboration that Mead got the bad one -- "They'll follow up on their end to ensure this doesn't happen again."
Wow! Where else do you get that sort of service these days?
LLoyd
On 02/09/2015 3:56 PM, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote: ...

I find it at quite a lot of industrial places that don't deal with counter trade. McM=C being as they are online is probably taking a little more of a chance but on that type of gear it's less likely I'd guess so they probably recognized it.

Mcmaster is my favorite store and is located only 2 miles from my warehouse.

Wish there was something equivalent to McMaster in AU!
Jon
On 10-Feb-15 3:12 PM, Jon Anderson wrote:

You are not along there Jon.
On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 18:12:37 +1100, Jon Anderson

I'll bet. Jeeze, shipping to/from there is just _ghastly_, usually more than the item cost itself. <sigh>
How's the eBaying down there?
--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti

Well... to me that sounds like a real opportunity for some enterprising young fellow. Good customer service will always guarantee you get business.
LLoyd

Pondering importing stuff, but getting my own shop back together is my priority. Wagga Wagga is an hour out one way, Young is half an hour the other way. There's nobody in between that would have the sort of capabilities I'll have once my tools are here and I have a mill and lathe. But this is REAL RURAL, very little high tech anything. Abattoirs are the main big operations, and most industrial suppliers nearby cater more to that and farming than anything else.
At my age, I don't think I have the time left to break into the supply business to any great degree. Much more interested in getting to know all the motorcycle custom/resto, hot rod, old machinery folks. Have learned I already have a good reputation spreading out to nearby towns (this IS, real country, everyone knows most everyone...), so when I start doing my own thing again, that reputation and good customer service will keep me busy as long as I care to keep working.
Jon
On 2/10/2015 11:32 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Some things are not bad to ship direct, assuming the seller does. McMaster does not. MSC will, but their shipping wasn't exactly cheap from Nevada to Grass Valley... I have most things shipped to my folks who collect and ship a flat rate box every now and then. Still expensive, but cheaper overall.
eBay is a shadow of the States, and a large percentage of tools are import and hardly what I would consider professional quality. Paid $70 for a combination square set for work, scale is steel, other parts are aluminum. But given I have a primo hardened and ground Starrett set dating from the late 70's complete with metric scales bought before I left, and a nice Miller Falls set, not going to pay the couple hundred for Moore and Wright or Mitutoyo. Have found a few decent deals, but also keep an eye on eBay in the States for stuff I can use now where shipping isn't a killer. Really just need to get my stuff here. Planning ongoing for finishing off the shed. We are cleaning house big time at work, looks like I'll score a roll up door to replace the flimsy and insecure shed door. MIL bought us a new roof, I saved all the good bits of siding to finish off the two sides of the shed that are open. Guy at work will help with forms for the slab, has a kid that will screed cheap for cash. But still going to be a while...
Jon
On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 23:46:03 +1100, Jon Anderson

That's good.

Ouch! I hate paying for overpriced tools.

Score! with MIL.

Good luck with the shed. Gotta have that before your tools arrive and you get busy with that.

It seems that everything worthwhile takes forever, doesn't it?
--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
On 2/11/2015 12:26 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Isn't that the truth. I know I'll have my shop here eventually, but right now, I have all this beautiful countryside to explore. I became very interested in old abandoned buildings and ghost towns after my last visit to China Lake, where the lead archaeologist recognized the location of a photo I showed him of my aunt and grandmother by a small cabin in a narrow canyon, and we found the building still intact. Got my picture taken standing in nearly the exact same spot. The side by side made the cover of the last issue of The Rocketeer in 2013. The cabin turned out to be only a few miles from my grandfather's homestead. Now old buildings fascinate me, as I wonder about the history and stories untold. There are tons of old structures scattered about the countryside, and I am having fun exploring back roads and photographing them. Maybe a book in the works... :)
Jon
On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 07:16:21 +1100, Jon Anderson

Very cool!

I love talking with the docents at places like that. There was a little farm/ranch/outpost in the middle of Vista, CA which was preserved in 1820 style. The docents there had tons of stories and I listened to many of them whenever my Aunt Dot showed her paintings in the gallery next door.

I have explored the Native American settlements, kivas, etc. and find them interesting. A friend and I went through Body, CA, an old ghost town/mine, and I've seen other old mines and processing plants. Old buildings are fascinating. Oh, have you ever been through the power station in San Francisco which runs the cable cars? It's totally immersive for "our kind", and they're still running 165-year-old machines. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! Even better than the Ghirardelli Chocolate Factory, if you can believe that. <g>
--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
On 2/11/2015 4:07 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Bodie is awesome, only had a few hours there in 2013, as I started from Grass Valley and was staying the night in Independence. In a few years I'm heading over for a 2 week trip with my brother, starting at Bodie, and running down into Panamint and Death Valleys, and down to maybe Red Mountain, photographing like crazy. Cerro Gordo is another great ghost town. The silver mined there was a -huge- factor in the growth of Los Angeles. While the docent I talked to at the museum in Independence drove her Prius up there, most folks recommend a real 4x4.
Always wanted to see the cable car power station, never got around to it. Hell, grew up in Mt. View, and never even rode a cable car... lol.
Jon
On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 21:27:04 +1100, Jon Anderson

Cool.

Wooses! If a Prius can make it, anything can. Well, anything except GM-built veHICKles.

I lived 20 minutes from the San Diego Wild Animal Park for 25 years before going to see it. The entire decade after that, I was there seldom less than twice a week, getting my exercise and doing electronic paperwork or reading a book, amid the sights, sounds, and smells of deepest Africa! I loved that place.
Now go see Ayers Rock, taste a campfire-roasted lizard on an Abbo outing, take plenty of pics, and get back to us, wot?
P.S: I don't care that the rock is halfway around the continent from you. ;)
--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti

They have opened the warehouse and delivered parts for me on a Saturday in less than an hour! Grainger has done the same at a higher fee.

i can get Grainger parts cheaper cause they give my son the corporate discount. But their website is F^^%&ing awful.
Karl
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

Too bad they can't have useful into for their products on the website.
For example, I looked up something simple like spray enamel paint. They sure as heck carry it, but they don't list any brands or types. The best description I saw was "comparable to Krylon" or something equally worthless. That's complete garbage and can't be used to make any sort of purchase decision. MSC can as least provide some data on the products they sell.

I don't know which McMaster you shop with, but McMaster-Carr has full tech data available on every product they sell, right down to individual nuts and screws. And it's easily available, usually right on-line. If they have failed to list it, one quick email to them will have the data in your in-box within an hour.
With MSC, the problem isn't 'quality of service', because they're pretty good that way. It's prices jacked out of proportion to what they offer, and a web site that takes hours to find something I can zero on in four clicks at McMaster.
I shop at both.
Lloyd
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

look at these part numbers
7719T11 or even better this one:
6506T51
It's all completely meaningless nonsnense, no data, no spec sheets, no brands on a $123/gallon can of paint? There is an MSDS, but keep in mind places will substitute the closest MSDS they can find sometimes. What is it that they are going to ship you once you fork over $123?
I don't see and cross-reference numbers for the expensive paint, so if I was looking for it by brand, I sort of doubt they'd be able to locate their part number for it anyways.
Here's another, just a plain old pin vise
8455A16
It's $13.72. Better be a Starrett with a calibration certificate for that price, but what is it? General? Indian factory seconds?