Why you NEED give McMaster business

I'm sorry that you're bent out of shape by their web site, but everything I've ever bought from them is top notch. Mystery? Yes, sometimes. Shit? Never.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Very cool!

I love talking with the docents at places like that. There was a little farm/ranch/outpost in the middle of Vista, CA which was preserved in 1820 style. The docents there had tons of stories and I listened to many of them whenever my Aunt Dot showed her paintings in the gallery next door.

I have explored the Native American settlements, kivas, etc. and find them interesting. A friend and I went through Body, CA, an old ghost town/mine, and I've seen other old mines and processing plants. Old buildings are fascinating. Oh, have you ever been through the power station in San Francisco which runs the cable cars? It's totally immersive for "our kind", and they're still running 165-year-old machines. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! Even better than the Ghirardelli Chocolate Factory, if you can believe that.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Bodie is awesome, only had a few hours there in 2013, as I started from Grass Valley and was staying the night in Independence. In a few years I'm heading over for a 2 week trip with my brother, starting at Bodie, and running down into Panamint and Death Valleys, and down to maybe Red Mountain, photographing like crazy. Cerro Gordo is another great ghost town. The silver mined there was a

-huge- factor in the growth of Los Angeles. While the docent I talked to at the museum in Independence drove her Prius up there, most folks recommend a real 4x4.

Always wanted to see the cable car power station, never got around to it. Hell, grew up in Mt. View, and never even rode a cable car... lol.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

mcmaster.com is the best website, they did a great job making their items selectable by characteristic and searchable, nothing short of amazing.

Ignoramus13634

like I said, there is no information of any value for the items I listed.

really? I just searched for finishing plugs to put legs on a table and found what I was looking for in about 15 seconds. mcmastercarr also had matches for that, but of course, no country of origin and just some cartoon drawing. Why would I pick that?

Feel free to waste your time emailing places about a can of paint, because they were too lazy to put the information on a website they already have. As I said, I speak with my money, and it's not going to some ass-backwards clown operation like that.

I just used their website. Where do you think I listed the part numbers I did?

Tell you what, you've got time on your hands. Go fax mcmaster carr a letter asking what brand of paint you get for $123. They're love to telex over a reply, or mail you a letter. It's so easy right?

Get back to us when you get the answer.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

I already listed the part numbers and how worthless the product descriptions were. Maybe you should call your pals over there to fix the descriptions for the items I listed.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Here's another accurate looking product and description:

What a joke.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Searchable on a website in 2015 is amazing to you?

Is this all some sort of joke?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Cool.

Wooses! If a Prius can make it, anything can. Well, anything except GM-built veHICKles.

I lived 20 minutes from the San Diego Wild Animal Park for 25 years before going to see it. The entire decade after that, I was there seldom less than twice a week, getting my exercise and doing electronic paperwork or reading a book, amid the sights, sounds, and smells of deepest Africa! I loved that place.

Now go see Ayers Rock, taste a campfire-roasted lizard on an Abbo outing, take plenty of pics, and get back to us, wot?

P.S: I don't care that the rock is halfway around the continent from you. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

They do not want Canadian customers any more. I used to order from them and service was excellent.

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Yeah, but McMaster's Wikipedia description says its a family-run business, so they're going to have the business problems in relating to customers and presenting themselves that you find with small and medium sized family ope rations... ie... interference from family members as opposed to letting whi z kids straight out of college run certain things, stuff like poor investme nt, advice and consulting.

Reply to
mogulah

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

ehhh... I generally find better "relating to customers" with family-owned businesses than with big NYSE corporations.

In any case, I've never gotten anything but the very best service and products from them.

As I said earlier, I also use MSC. Between the two of them I do roughly $55K business a year. But everything about McMaster's experience is just faster and easier. Much of that is due to the very intuitive, VERY fast bore-downs you can do with their on-line catalog. There's hardly a single part number on their site you cannot get to in four or five mouse- clicks.

Both of them offer top-notch paper catalogs, and although there are a few things each carries that the other does not, for the most part, both carry almost anything in tool and maintenance products your heart could wish for.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

You must be doing something wrong. mcmastercarr is perfect in every way. they do nothing wrong, ever.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

They do not ship to individuals. They ship to companies only.

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Boris Mohar fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Strictly true, yes; but their standards for what constitutes a "company" are pretty forgiving. Basically, a name, a manner of payment, and an honest-to-goodness ground shipping address are all they need.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Yabbut, Cyclone Breeder said "wrong". That's not wrong, it is only slightly limiting. (read on)

Grainger is the same way, but wanted proof of company, so I fixed that by sending a free Vistaprint business card in with my application. I really did have a business, but anyone can buy any business card they wish from Vistaprint for the shipping fee ($4.89 back then, for 250)

I think the $35 per shipment brokering fee charged by UPS broke McMaster's back on shipments to CA. Too many people were really pissed off, with GOOD reason, to find a fee that large for a $2 part. I think FedEX set up a brokerage firm and charged much less to get around those issued, so they took over all the small shipments to CA. IIRC, that happened a decade or more ago.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yes, but when is a company not an individual? What is their determining criteria?

Reply to
mogulah

I'd say that's stupid too, but well, evertbody else here says macmaster carr is just perfect.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Gunner Asch fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No, he just wants to prove that he (who orders $14.95 worth of parts a year) knows more about 'good vendors' than folks like us who may order $50K worth a year.

That's why he went in the Banquer Bin.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Gunner Asch on Sat, 14 Feb 2015 17:56:26 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Years ago, I stopped at a hotel where I had stayed a couple years before when I had been traveling on business. The receptionist at check-in had asked who I was with, and I rattled off a name, and then spelled it. "Fortesque Labs". She gave me the Corporate Rate.

I keep intending to make up business cards, someday.

pyotr filipivich