Give away - Iomega Zip drive

Not sue if I posted this before, but I have a Iomega Zip drive and a couple disks to give away. First one to holler can have it for shipping.

Reply to
Greg O

Well don't all rush at once.

Reply to
ian field

He didn't say whether it is 100 MB or 250 MB, and what kind of interface it has. I know that they came in IDE, parallel port, USB since I have about 20 different Zip drives in my shop. I pull them out of the computers I refurbish, since most people have no clue what they are. There are SCSI Zip drives as well, but I've never handled one.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I figured if anyone cared, they would ask. Parallel port, 100MB. Some one want it? Or it goes in the trash. I figured with some guys here running older systems it may be usefull to somebody. Greg O

Reply to
Greg O

AFAIK they go up to 750Mb, only 50Mb more than the very much cheaper CD-RW disks and not anywhere near the same league as 4.35Gb DVD-RW.

You could have difficulty giving a 100Mb away even if you paid the shipping.

There's very little inside worth pulling them apart for either.

Reply to
ian field

Ive got (5) 100 meggers Id happily give away simply for flat rate shipping.

Since the advent of the Flash drive...cheap cheap cheap flash drives..Iomega drives are dead technology..unfortunately.

Gunner

"IMHO, some people here give Jeff far more attention than he deserves, but obviously craves. The most appropriate response, and perhaps the cruelest, IMO, is to simply killfile and ignore him. An alternative, if you must, would be to post the same standard reply to his every post, listing the manifold reasons why he ought to be ignored. Just my $0.02 worth."

Reply to
Gunner Asch

They are very useful for only a very few things. Particularly if you have a limited system with no USB ports that you can plug in a flash drive.

Great devices at the time..but technology progresses...shrug

Gunner, weeding out 5 very large boxes full of computer gear..and dumping the stuff in a trash can..sob..snivel...weep....

Gunner

"IMHO, some people here give Jeff far more attention than he deserves, but obviously craves. The most appropriate response, and perhaps the cruelest, IMO, is to simply killfile and ignore him. An alternative, if you must, would be to post the same standard reply to his every post, listing the manifold reasons why he ought to be ignored. Just my $0.02 worth."

Reply to
Gunner Asch

These are magnetic media, not optical.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Other than recovering old data.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Not sure what your point is there.

Reply to
ian field

even older - if anyone needs PLI drives or media, SCSI interface - 40 and 80 meg - common on Macs in the 90s for removable storage - I have a pile of these, and I think one with an IDE interface for a PC (internal) -

Reply to
Bill Noble

In a dark recess of the junk box is a pile of mostly Mac scsi Quantum/HP hard drives that each have a power operational amplifier chip, so far I've only used one of the chips but can't bear to throw the rest.

Reply to
ian field

Like I care what is is worth, that is why I offered to send it to someone, instead of tossing it. You never know why someone finds value in an item, and I don't care! I have one, it is free, plus shipping, if anyone wants it, it is that simple! I could care less about the evaluations of its value!! If it had any value I would be selling it! Greg O

Reply to
Greg O

I don't agree. There are some decent magnets - not quite as good as hard drive magnets, but not too shabby. One good sized electrolytic if you don't do SMD, several more salvageable bits if you do, and a dandy little high frequency transformer.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Or the 8/7gb? DVD-GL

And they were dodgy technology at best.

Reply to
clare

I think I've still got an old SASI drive hanging around if someone wants it!

Reply to
clare

I'm tempted since it is a wonder device.

I have one in my desk in the shop. It slaves to the parallel port and transforms a 3V level parallel into a 5V parallel port. And bidirectional. Some CNC controllers need 5v parallel ports. Now only custom.

Keep me in mind if no one else wants it.

Martin snipped-for-privacy@consolidated.net

Greg O wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

It is yours if you want it! E-mail sent! Greg O

Reply to
Greg O

That the magnetic media Zip drives came in 100 or 250 MB.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I have a parallel port 100MB ZiP drive in a drawer somewhere. It developed the "click of death" syndrome shortly after I bought it and trashed all the data I had backed up on there from my Apple Mac Classic computer (this was 10 to 15 years ago). Anybody unfamiliar with iOmega's "click of death" problem will get a real eye opener if they put any trust whatsoever in the drive you are offering. Dave

Reply to
dav1936531