file open error from zip disk

hi, I am relatively new in Solidworks so donot know much about it. I having problem in it. I make a part and save it in zip disk and when i try to open that part solidworks gives me error message saying

z:\sldworks\drill_01.sldprt is not available for write access. Do you want to open document(s) read-only

if i choose yes then document opens read only but i choose no then it doesnot open at all.

I am running win2000 and solidworks educational edition 2003-2004 pro.

Does anyone know what the hack is going on????

Thanks in advance. Ravi

Reply to
Ravi

I don't know about zip disks but CD files are almost always read only, even after you transfer them to your hard drive. What you need to do is RMB the files (you can multi-select them all first) and choose "Properties". The "Read-only" box will most likely be checked and you can uncheck it. You may have to first copy the files from your zip disk to your hard drive to do the above.

JJ

Reply to
JJ

like living dangerously, do you? ;)

Reply to
kenneth b

do you have enough space on the disk for a second copy of these file(s)? Because SW may be trying to write the backup/temp file there ...

Reply to
rocheey

hi,

There is enough space in the zip disk and it's read only check box is also not checked.

This error is coming in all the computers that i have at work. I have tried different zip disks also.

Ravi

Reply to
Ravi

ever think of coping from zip to hard disk and then opening? makes me laugh every time i see someone working off a floppy. hehe :)

Reply to
kenneth b