hi temp zip tie

I'm still thinking on how to mount a temp sensor to a solar hot water heater. I plan to put the sensor wire inside a 1/2" flexible copper pipe and bring it along side the hot exit water pipe on the solar heater. Need to attach this to withstand a small hurricane (hopefully) and the hot Florida sun. Plan "A" was just electrical zip ties for both sensor and copper conduit. Will these take the heat? Got a better idea?

Karl Townsend

Small s/s hose clamp?

What about just some wire, heat sink compound and then wrap in self-adhesive fibreglass tape, then if needed insulate it from the weather.

Reply to
Royston Vasey

Getting distracted from the greenhouse temperature regulation? Or are you done?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Dorman Conduct-Tite 83915 10-pak 8" Heavy Duty Wire Ties made of stainless steel.

I found 'em at a local TSC Tractor Supply Co store, but they were clearance priced, so they were likely disconinued, or a cheaper source was found.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Stainless wire ties

Have a layer of insulation or tape between the tie and the copper pipes to prevent electrolytic corrosion.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Aircraft safety wire, 8 turns per inch.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Most definitely distracted. Long story short, had to move with Julie in the hospital and misplaced everything. She got out yesterday and is already putting my life back in order. I'll do this little job for my landlord and get back on the controller.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

That is still a good number. it is part of the Motormite Help! line, red packages. under $5.00 retail. Most of the parts stores carry that line, but it's a slow mover so you may not find one in a local store.

Reply to
RBnDFW

Karl,

I am very sorry to hear your wife has been ailing. Now she is out of hospital and hopefully on the mend.

Best regards,

Most definitely distracted. Long story short, had to move with Julie in the hospital and misplaced everything. She got out yesterday and is already putting my life back in order. I'll do this little job for my landlord and get back on the controller.

Karl

Reply to
Robert Swinney

I would machine a block to fit one side of the pipe and drill a hole for the sensor, so its lead wires are also at the measured temperature and don't cool it. The block could attach with a U bolt.

Then wrap it with fiberglass under metal duct tape. The Foilmastic tape from Home Depot on my solar collector has stood up to sunlight quite well for 4 years. It tears easily, though.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Do you have any stainless mig wire?

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

it doesn't take long to identify a wide range of suitable adhesives that claim strength to 600 deg F - why are you using zip ties?

Reply to
Bill Noble

Black Zip ties seem to take the heat and sun better. Ideal has a nice heavy one with a stainless steel internal catch that is really tough.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Ah...why not simply use a pair of radiator hose clamps????

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch