insulate a pipe

I'm putting a thermostat on my landlord's solar hot water heater. It has about one foot of exposed copper pipe at the top of the unit. I'd like to put the sensor there. It sits out in the south Florida sun and salt air.

What insulating material would hold up to this environment?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Foamed glass, but it's a bit archaic. The air conditioning guys down that way should have an idea of plastics that hold up, if any do. Fiberglass works if you can keep it dry, but that's a big if there.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

How about "Great Stuff"?

Reply to
Buerste

The black foam that HVAC tubing uses, should work. For a while.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Do you mean the insulation on the sensor's lead wires? Teflon has good UV resistance.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I thought you were joking. It looks like just the thing to use.

Thanks

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

i'd think great stuff is very vulnerable to UV (i've seen it here turn brown and erode as a result of what i assume is UV attack). i'm wondering about putting a covering of aluminum foil scrunched over it, tie it on with stainless safety wire?

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

My reputation is THAT bad, eh?

(side note)

My new .38 cast 148 gr. wadcutter with 3.0 gr. of 700X are making one raged hole at 25'. That's the best of six loads I tried. The same load works as well in my S&W 442 as it does in my S&W Model 19 and no leading in either. I can cast 36 pieces per minute easily and tumble-lubed with diluted liquid Alox. I think I have the "magic" load for this powder and bullet. How's the .308 and the Dillon? I have a bunch of 124 gr. 9mm Truncated Cone bullets cast if you want to try some.

Reply to
Buerste

Its worse.

That would be a big Roger on the 9mm bullets. "The Kid" and I have found a great new hobby to spend together - loadin' one evening then shootin' the next day. Just a couple months ago, I thought 1000 rounds was a lot of ammo. Guess I'm wrong.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

The standard thing done in industry is to use pre-formed fibreglass have pipes ,which are held together by wrapping with duct tape. The entire lagged pipe is then covered with Colourbond steel sheet metal, rolled into a shape that can be slipped over the insulation. The linear joint is held together with pop rivets or self tapping screws.

Reply to
Grumpy

Cool! This is the bullet:

E-mail your ship-to address and I will send you some. They will be lubed with the diluted liquid Alox. It's hardly noticeable and looks like a varnish but it seems to work well at less than hot loads. They cycle in my XD-9 just fine. What pistol powder are you using? I fell into 16# of IMR

700X, so that's my pistol powder for a while, a bit slower than Bullseye.
Reply to
Buerste

You can get black spray foam which is supposed to be more UV durable. The pond folks seem to use a lot of it. Or you put on enough of the tan stuff that what turns dark brown serves the same purpose. Nothing much is permanent.

Reply to
Ecnerwal