BP tool for riveting?

Awl --

Anyone familiar with a tool that fits in a BP (or vmc), that takes the end of a rivet and peens it over? A buddy of mine is being presented with a job like this, has seen it done, but doesn't know the name of the tool, or a source.

Apparently, the tool comes down off-center, spinning, and shmears the end.

tia.

Reply to
Existential Angst

EA:

Here's one:

BottleBob

When I was a kid I ran a drill press with a rivet heading tool for a while after school. The tool had two opposed quarter-round rollers that mushed the protruding rivet shank into a half round dome with a little stem in the center, left by the space between the rollers. It came down centered on the rivet.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The process is called "orbital riveting." I've only seen it done on dedicated machines, never on a mill, but searching "orbital riveting attachment" returned this, among others...

Ned Simmons

No need for a special tool. Just ask JB to mount an endmill, and tell him to indicate it very carefully. You'll get the shank end sticking out, and a bunch of runout, and it should peen the shit out of anything it touches.

KG

Reply to
Kirk Gordon