Anybody need an air bearing spindle ?

I just picked up a Professional Instruments BlockHead 4R air bearing spindle assembly. It has an integral motor, resolver, brake and shaft encoder. It was used in a disk drive development lab, and currently has a pneumatically activated clamp for a disk platter mounted on it. But, looking at the company web site (still in business, the 4R is still a current model) they use these for precision grinding and other tool applications, too. It is rated for 10,000 RPM, and has a radial stiffness of

0.67 Lbs/microinch. I don't know the details of the motor, whether it is 3-phase induction or PM brushless. It appears to be unused, as it still has the factory shipping lock on the spindle.

This is a big unit, seems to weigh about 40 Lbs. Does anyone have any use for such an item (before I list it on eBay)?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

What do you have in mind? I need a spindle to spin a 6" cut-off disk to trim End brushes.

Reply to
Buerste

I think you would be disappointed with the results. Air bearings need very clean dry air to work and probably wouldn't be happy with the amount of side load you'd be applying.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Depending on the air pressure available, I think this unit can sustain a radial working load of 50 Lbs. Yes, it does need clean dry air, as the clearances in the bearing are INSANELY small, and you have to keep the journal from rusting.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

You can look this up on the Professional Instruments web site, it is the

4R spindle. See
more info. But, the unit I have has quite a bit more stuff on it, with drive motor, resolver, brake and shaft encoder. All these things look like they's be easy to take off to fit your application. The business end has a ring of bolt holes to attach whatever you want on it. You ought to know this thing likely cost $30,000 new in the form I have it in.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I might have a use for it. What is the overall length?

Reply to
oldjag

It sounds like I should pass. I hope somebody needs it "REAL BAD"!

Reply to
Buerste

Ping Buerste That would make a great 10k spindle for his project!

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch