Help w/ new HF Shop Crane/Engine Hoist

Awl--
Apropos of the HF shipping thread, I just got mine, a non-folding version,
from HF (Central Hydraulics).
Cupla problems, like eccentric wheels, but overall pretty sturdy. Comes w/
about 400 nuts, screws, bolts!
But here's my PRESSING question:
Where is the oil fill screw/plug on this unit??
They say you gotta push the piston down, fill, raise it up, fill--but fill
WHERE??
Not through the release valve/screw, right?
Through that rubber ditty up near the top?? If so, how would one get oil in
there???
Through the piston/plunger???
I'm at a loss! Emailed the tech peeple at HF, but god knows how long that
will take, or if they will even know!
TIA!
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®
Yep, the rubber "ditty" (I call them hole plugs). Use a nozzled bottle, and squirt it into the hole.
('tis messy when you overfill, too! Make sure the ram's DOWN on the last fillup)
LLoyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
Lloyd,
Thank you very much. One more Q:
What kind of hydraulic oil? Or is there only one? Brake fluid mebbe?? Thanks. ---------------------------- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll
Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®
"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote: What kind of hydraulic oil? Or is there only one? Brake fluid mebbe?? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ NOT brake fluid. There is oil labelled as hydraulic jack oil. In a pinch I used chain-bar oil, or something else, and never could tell the difference.
Reply to
Leo Lichtman
Leo Lichtman wrote in article ...
difference.
Chain saw bar & chain oil does not have the rust and oxidation inhibitors that jack oil and the various hydraulic oils contain.
Reply to
Bob Paulin
For those who are not aware, on a typical self contained hydraulic jack, the outer round tube is *not* the outside of the hydraulic cylinder, it is a fluid tank that is coaxial to the cylinder. This is not true for units where the pump is separate from the cylinder and connected by a hose.
Pete C.
"Lloyd E. Sp>
Reply to
Pete C.
Which reminds me...anyone in So. Cal know of a jack rebuilding house in the Pomona/Santa Ana areas?
I was given a FAV (italian) "bench top" 20 ton hydraulic press, that has blown seals in the ram. I just need some seals.
Oh..and the Viet that took it apart lost the valve stem for the pump..and the gizmo that the internal retract spring attaches too. But those should be managable to make up.
Gunner
It's better to be a red person in a blue state than a blue person in a red state. As a red person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob at least you have a gun to protect yourself. As a blue person, your only hope is to appease the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.
(Phil Garding)
Reply to
Gunner
I have always been sucessful at getting any parts from most any hydraulics repairer. My youngin lost the valve and check assembly from a 10 ton bottle jack made by Blackhawk that wa probably 25+ years old, and they had one in stock that fit it and worked fine.
Same for all the cups and seals etc in all my bottle jacks that last year I got a whim to take apart, and clean up the resivoirs and replace the seals in. They had everything needed on their shelf, and this is a one horse town, and it surprised me........
~Roy
HF well, is HF. I came within a hair of buying one of them myself, but decided to kick it around a bit more..ON the way home I stopped by Advance Auto to pick up some oil filters, and they had a nice hoist in there for $20 bucks more that had a max capacity of 8,000 pounds and a lot longer reach. It was also a fold up space saver type, so that to me was a plus as well...quality between the Advance Auto hoist and the HF hoist is like night and day, even though both are made in China. Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked!
Reply to
~Roy
If you guys want an upgrade on your engine hoist, go check these out:
You have to make up a little part that bolts to the bottom of the jack and acts like a clevis hitch, but that's pretty easy if you know how to weld. Best part is the weld strength isn't critical. Anyway, with one of these air over 8-ton long-throw rams, you can pump it up just like always, but you can also hook up 90 psi shop air and push a button and up she goes, only a whole lot faster!
GWE
Reply to
Grant Erwin
Or try this one:
only $108 with free shipping, wish I'd found that before! - GWE
Reply to
Grant Erwin
A penguin was having transmission trouble so he took the car to the local transmission bandits. They said it would take an hour or so to diagnose the problem and, since it was a hot day, why didn't he walk down the street to the ice cream stand and get a cone.
So the penguin waddles down the street and buys a vanilla cone and waddles back licking his cone.
When he got back to the shop the tech looked at him and reported "it looks like you blew a seal:.
The penguin glances down at his front where ice cream had dripped and replies "Oh no, that's just ice cream"!
Ho Ho Ho
Errol Groff
Reply to
Errol Groff
Cool! If I hook up a CO2 bottle I would have a catapult :) Wouldn't even have to mess with motor mounts Glenn
Reply to
Glenn
Gentleman,
Just watch out for the long rams kinking and the lift collapsing when you need it most. My brother has a KILLER homebuilt engine lift that uses a 20 ton short ram jack instead of a long ram jack. Hoist uses 1/4" thick 4x4 steel tubing for all parts of the lift.
Two friends have already had the HF /import lifts destroy the ram and drop the load. One was a 10cyl Ford motor (no trans) and the other was a big block chevy with a Turbo 400 behind it (all one lift.) In both instances the stuff being lifted didn't pinch anybody or anything of worth inbetween. These were straight lifts on concrete floors not poorly supported lifts.
Just my caution for the day.
Bart D. Hull snipped-for-privacy@inficad.com Tempe, Arizona
Check
my Subaru Engine Conversion Check
Tango II I'm building.
Remove -nospam to reply via email.
Glenn wrote:
Reply to
Bart D. Hull
Stay away when Proctologically Violated©® tries his new crane.... JR Dweller in the cellar
Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
Reply to
JR North
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gunner
It's better to be a red person in a blue state than a blue person in a red state. As a red person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob at least you have a gun to protect yourself. As a blue person, your only hope is to appease the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.
(Phil Garding)
Reply to
Gunner
I was using mine (in the "1000 lbs" position) to pull up on some small palm tree stumps to uproot them. I must have overloaded it because the inside and outside tubes of the telescoping lifting arm are both bent slightly now, and I can't stow it all the way in. So it would appear that the hydraulic ram does not bypass before bending the tool structure itself.
Not sure how I can straighten it, either. Bother.
Reply to
Richard J Kinch
Mebbe you can turn that member upside down, and perform the same operation to straighten it out. Might have to weld a provisional doo-dad or two. Or take to someone w/ a hydraulic press or a big-assed arbor press. ---------------------------- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll
Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®
I thought about that with the inside one, but not the outer.
Reply to
Richard J Kinch
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:58:02 -0600, the inscrutable Richard J Kinch spake:
Palms have a single taproot. Dig around the base and push sideways to crack and remove them. Then fill in the hole.
Remove it, flip it over, weld on another bracket, reinstall, and have at that stump again. Once you have it straight, do NOT attempt to pull that stump any more. ;)
-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ----
Comprehensive Website Development
Reply to
Larry Jaques