Help w/ new HF Shop Crane/Engine Hoist

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 01:21:40 -0600, the inscrutable Richard J Kinch spake:

Second shot: Once you bend the tubing, its structural integrity is gone. I recommend replacing both pieces. And to ensure that it doesn't happen again, weld bracing on the top with a bar directly over the ram connection. See this pic for hints.

-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ----
Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

HUH? Palms have no taproot whatsoever. They have what could be described as a "bulb" of small feeder roots. Palms are monocots; they don't do the dicot/pine tree thing.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Yeah, but how am I gonna ever match that lovely HF orange and black color scheme? Must be some kind of toxic pigments unavailable in the west.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I wonder if that 8,000 lbs was not the rating of ram itself; mine is rated at 8,000, but the hoist is still 2-ton max (down to 1/2 ton). If you really had that kind of lifting power, I'm sure it would be reflected in much larger cross-sections of the tubing, and would be very, very heavy. The HF is about 240#.

Unfortunately, the nearest Advance is 20 mi from me, in NJ.

See the new thread on Shop Cranes: I'll show you mine if you show me yours...

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Everybody knows that. I think Larry wuz jes testing you... :)

Larry was right about those bent members being permanently weaker. The outer could be reinforced as he says, the inner can be easily re-made from fresh material.

---------------------------- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Nope its not the rating of the ram, its the hoists capcity, but IIRC with the extendable boom in to the last hole. This hoist is heads and shoulders much more substantial than the HF models are.....

I also have seen a few HF hoists back at the store (Returns) just setting there that either bent or tore apart at the welds.........I can't really say what happened to them as I do not know, and they may have been trying to lift an Abrams tank with them.........

Too late >===I wonder if that 8,000 lbs was not the rating of ram itself; mine is rated

============================================== Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked!

Reply to
~Roy

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 17:11:31 GMT, the inscrutable "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" spake:

Yeah, I meant the bulb being the only root system, no large lateral trunk roots coming out in all directions. Dig down a bit, rock the trunk, and lift.

P.S: Are monocots anything like finger cots? ;)

-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ----

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:51:04 -0600, the inscrutable Richard J Kinch spake:

Go with a nice International orange and a clearcoat topper. Make it out of white lead if you want to match the toxicity level.

-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ----

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Mine did. Hooked onto the top with the truck winch and it snapped off 3 or 4 feet below the surface.

Al

Reply to
Al 2

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 00:15:09 GMT, Errol Groff vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Ooohhhhhhh f*ck!

And with the way seals are, it took a few seconds.

Not often I blo...sorry.....lose....beer on my keyboard.....and tears of laughter....

Reply to
OldNick

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 00:15:09 GMT, Errol Groff vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Just a note

You could "legitimize" this with a "polar mech tech" rather than a penguin.....

Reply to
OldNick