check list for adding a waterheater to workshop?

I'm getting ready to install a water heater in my garage/workshop and have created a self-reminder checklist for the process. I would appreciate any suggestions or corrections.

Materials: 10-2 Romex 30 Amp two pole breaker 60 Amp non-fusible pullout disconnect (per code-main breaker box is not visible from heater) Steps:

  1. Using wire nuts connect romex to hot water heater leads. Wrap end of romex white wire with black tape and connect to heater red wire, connect black to black and attach bare copper wire to heater ground screw.
  2. Remove pullout from disconnect
  3. Connect romex to in and out sides of disconnect, wrapping ends of white wire with black tape.
  4. Disconnect main breaker and install 30 Amp breaker.
  5. Wrap end of white wire with black tap.
  6. Attach white and black wires to 30 Amp breaker poles. Bare copper to ground bar.
  7. Make sure water heater is full.
  8. Restore power to main breaker.
  9. Insert pullout into disconnect.

Suggestions, corrections, additions? Thanks, Steve B

Reply to
simonif

If the disconnect enclosure is metallic, it must be bonded to the bare ground wires.

A bonding jumper (sized to the service entrance ampacity) should be installed between the hot and cold water pipes to ensure plumbing continuity.

Bob Weiss N2IXK

Reply to
Bob Weiss

You could use a 30 amp disconnect, you might save a buck or two. Consider Lowes for a water heater timer. Best price I have found

Reply to
SQLit