Magnets and welding

I used a couple or neodymium magnets this morning to hold a piece of work together (my BIL's replacement knee was giving trouble...ark ark) and those little suckers are amazing. These are 3/4" by maybe 1/2". I had 3 and used to have 4 but cracked one

For a start I can't get them araprt without a screwdriver between them. Then I used them to hold my work. I welded the weldment that was not near the magnets, then tried to tack the other end. The weld simply went everywhere. I managed to tack., but until I sussed what was happening, I wondered what the heck I was doing wrong.

I have also given myself a blood blister with them.

If anyone has any ideas about wrapping them in plastic bags to pick stuff up, beware. Use a couple of layers of cloth as well! They tear plastic bags. DAMHIKT

Reply to
Old Nick

Arc blow - switch to AC which is not as affected as DC.

Most commercial pickup magnets are surrounded by alum>I used a couple or neodymium magnets this morning to hold a piece of

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

The same principle is what drives the electron beam in most picture tubes and monitors, years ago we built kiosks for banking and the speakers we used would distort the image on the crt screens until we re-engineeered the setup and put the speakers in the bases.

I have a couple of N40 grade 1" thick x 2" squares. These can break bones.

If you want free nib magnets strong enough to hang a hammer or other tools above your workbench or a calandar on your fridge take apart junk hard drives as they are part of the voice coil motor driving the heads.

I understand they can be found in cordless tool motors also but have notfound any with the smoke let out yet.

Don't give kids anything bigger than about 1/2" x1/2" unless they are very tough kids! They are brittle, safety glasses are not bad idea. I have an eye exam tomorrow, I'll ask my doc if she has read anything about nib magnet fragments in the eye yet. Steel is bad eniough. Tom

Reply to
bamboo

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 07:15:05 -0600, Thomas Kendrick vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

What amazed me was the tiny size and enormous strength of these little bastards though.

There was talk of picking up swarf using magnets. Someone suggested wrapping them in plastic bags.

Reply to
Old Nick

He's talking about these:

--Glenn Lyford